Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview to the Weber to the Uintahs
Saturday was a multi-location fishing day. Ray & I started the morning @ Pineview under cloudy skies we both set out in our float tubes for the first time. I was a great experience except "NO FISH", but I'd call it a learning day. We hit the water around 8:00AM we must of looked lie a couple clowns getting rigged up to go into the water. I've got a donut type and Ray has a U-type. It seems my tube was a little confining, and why oh why are the equipment pockets placed so clost the you elbows! it makes it quite difficult to get things out of them! We paddled around the north side of cemetary point in the bay just to the west. Nothin', no bites just carp swimming by on the surface. After we literally got blown off the lake, the rain set in and we were soaked to the skin. I think getting into the float tube is almost as hard as getting out! If we looked like clown gettin in we looked like water buffalo getting out, both episodes were very comical. For lunch the only good place is the Shooting Star Saloon a Famous Star burger and a cold draft hits the spot. From there we were off the Weber River. With either of us knowing where to fish we tried under a train tressle without luck 3 snags and two lost lures, we bagged the location and proceded into the Uintahs. We did notice several places to cross the fence to fish the Weber but could find no way to get to any access to the frontage roads! But by this time we were in no mood to and hunt for a plaace to fish along there. We hit the Mirror lake highway flying high and heading to old comfortable surroundings. Water in the upper Provo is high but its still fishable, got a couple bites before the the next deluge hit us, we tried the weather oiut the storm but with lightening coming so close we once again har to run for cover in the car. We had another first. Ray saw his first ever weasle. It swam across the Weber right at him and headed up the shore behind him into the brush. The weather eased up and we hit the river again fished for a couple hours before we were once again turned away. I caught 1 cutthroat 10" at best Ray was shutout.

All and all the day was fun, but lots of work trying to catch fish.

Let me know what we did wrong with our outing.

Pineview & the Weber are main concerns. We've got fishing down in the Uintahs. But either of us have had zippo luck fishing at any lake!
[signature]
What type of lures or bait did you try ? I've been using small curly tails jigs at Pineview . Need to fish where the flooded brush is but with cold front over us it could of slowed things down .

This is some of my jigs I've been using at Pineview .

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0413366.jpg]
[signature]
Ok Moose,

You got my attention. The shooting star burgers and a cold one are one of my favorite things when I'm up there!!!!!! I'm a Tube guy also. Use my tube on 90% of my still water. Join the club -with Tube Dude! He has a Tube fishing site under the main index. Ask any question - not only tube fishing, the Dude knows everything (well allmost). Actually the Weber has pretty good access via the frontage road. Give me a pm if you want more info. The weasel siting was fun, right? Are you sure it wasn't a mink? Lots of them got released by some activists several years ago and I've seen several.

Have you ever gone after the grayling in the Uintahs? Those are some of my fondest memories. Also there are some lakes in there that have giant brookies but I have'nt been able to find those secret spots. Too old now ----- oh well.

By the way, I was fishing Pineview about a year ago(maybe 2) for crappie and tied into a very large (best guess-40+in.) tiger , had him up to my tube, grabbed for him to try to "tail" him (what a laugh), took off, wraped on the bottom, end of story.

[crazy][crazy]Leaky
i cant tell you to much about the fishing, but i can tell you that tubedude has a book that he can send you vi email attachment, that will tell you everything and anything you need to know about tube fishing.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, FFM, there is an old (Oriental) saying: "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." With newbie tubers the real "rite of passage" is the first launching and return. The embarrassment and injuries...both to body and dignity...have been enough to make some new tubers hang up their craft and never dunk their donut again. If you survived, and STILL want to fish from your donut dinghy, I salute you.

As a couple of guys have mentioned, I have some written material that can help smooth out the rough spots and get you past the prerequisite boo boos most folks seem to want to make, if they work it out on their own.

One of the most common errors made by those with new "round boats" is putting on their fins first, and then trying to get them inside the tube. I know. I contributed to my share of shore laughs until I finally figured out a better way. Try slipping the front edges of the fins under the tube, while on the bank. Then, step into the fins, pull the straps around your heels, pull the tube up to your waist and walk BACKWARDS...SLOWLY...out into kneedeep water. Then sit down and paddle like a duck stuck in reverse.

To get out, do the same in reverse. Stand up in knee deep water, pull the tube up from around your legs, shuffle backward until you are on the shore, set the tube down, sit on the back of the tube and slip off the straps of the fins. Now step out of the fins, and pack up for the return home.

By the way, for those who find it difficult to bend over to pull up the fin straps...because of too many layers under the waders, weight or back problems, or whatever...I posted a thread on the float tubing board about using a fin strap tool...made from heated PVC pipe (next to duct tape, the best invention ever).

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=42882;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=42882;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

Hope this helps.

TubeDude
[signature]
I used my u-boat for the first time a few weeks ago. It was sure a pain in the ass getting in the water. Once I did and relaxed a little, I was in heaven. Can't believe I've never done it before. {I've had the tube for two years} But since a boat is not in my budget, I'm loving my tube. It's now a great experience.[cool] Al
[signature]
Thanks guys, I needed the moral support! I can't wait until I can gut the bucket in the water again. Despite all the tribulations we went through. Both of newbies have passed a major milestone and survived.

As far as what we were pitchin at the fish well we tried everything same colors and sizes as one of our helpful friends so kindly displayed, had em all, threw em all. I'm will to try anything.

o weasel or not? Could have been a mink they are both the same size but I coiuld not tell what color, looked like a long drowned rat to me! But it was cool to see.

I figured as long as I didn't fall flat on my face trying to get out of the tube I was a survivor of the whole ordeal.
[signature]