Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 6/05/09
Planned on getting up at 4:00 AM to fish Mantua. Woke up and decided I'd rather sleep than fish.

Woke up AGAIN at a11:00 AM and headed down....

Hit the lake at about 1:30 PM and started out towards the point (or hill). As I was kicking over in the tube, I trolled various jigs at a slow and steady pace. Perch bite is on quite well. Might have caught more perch today than bluegill, can't say that has ever happened before! Even caught one great big perch, reminded me of the hogs I used to catch at Deer Creek.

Anyhow, the bluegill seemed to have dispersed out away from shore. They are now holding in slightly deeper water, but still near the shore (most fish). Didn't tear in to them like I did last week, but still caught quite a few keeper gills. Last week just about every female I caught was fat and full of eggs, today though I'd say less than half have eggs?

Caught a few 2-3lb bass and a bunch of dinks. I try to keep my limit of six every trip out there. There are a lot of smaller bass in that pond and boy are they good eatin.
[signature]
What kinds of baits were on the jigs? How about for the bass? I am thinking to head up there Wed or Thurs. Thanks.
[signature]
1/4th an inch of night crawler is all
[signature]