Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
learning to use the sonar...
I have some images of some of the humps on Willard that are actually roads. Plus some other images too. I have to see if I have them in a usefull format. let see s5 is the boat launch at Milner. S 18 is parallel shot of road along outer trench on west dike on willard. S 17 is a typical road that runs up to the dike. There are several of these along the dike. They cross the trench every so often as if they were used to take dirt up onto the dike. S 19 is another road. I see I need to record the gps data next time out. I just have to put the screen up for it. S 15 is for KENTOFNSL as well as S14. Thats not a log down there! For folks who have fished Milner S 8 is a snag by the playground the rock sticking up leaves a shadow. I wanted to make sure there were not any stray lunkers hanging out down there. hope theses turn out and I will try to get some gps data on some of the roads on Willard nest time.
[signature]
what model fishfinder do you have also do you have any that show fish???? [fishin] Kinda cool to look them over but to be honest I am having a hard time making heads and tails out of them....
[signature]
Side finder, the fish are there look closely
[signature]
[quote reelfast]

S 15 is for KENTOFNSL as well as S14. Thats not a log down there!

[/quote]

Thanks I think, but please explain what I am seeing.
[signature]
S 15 is an old wagon trail that comes in on the south side of the river bend above hole 13. It drops into the lake and can be seen on sonar. S 14 is a big arch passing over 13. I hit the button a little late. The sturgeon throw a big arch. I found some above Brownlee at Farewell bend also. They dont hold still very well. We didnt graph any more in any of the smaller holes going up to Loveridge bridge. But from 13 on down to Cove arm there were pods of these big arches. When we fished at cove arm we had a couple come up and roll with in 50 feet of the boat. We used crappie carcasses but had no bites on them. The catfish were active and chewed up the bait some. The lake had a big crappie spawn and I saw alot of dead ones floating around so our bait had lots of competition. C J Strike seems to be having a good cycle witht he crappie populations, bass, catfish, and perch all fishing well this year. The river flows are way up too so in the big picture the sturgeon should do well.
[signature]
Wow, I thought that my sonar was good enough for sturgeon, but alas I see that I am missing a whole new world down there. I was told about a sonar that costs over $5,000 (supplied by the same company that does the sonar for the U.S. Navy) that a commercial crawdad fisherman sometimes uses up there when he fishes for sturgeon. I was told that he can see the flutes on the side of the sturgeon with that baby.
[signature]
Thats cool stuff Dan. Thanks for sharing it.
[signature]
Looks like the surface of the moon to me...That is pretty cool. Will display in real time or does it just capture the stills?
[signature]
I havnt figured out the video capture. I can play it back on the sonar but it is hard to convert. I have down loaded some programs that will do it . but I cant get it into a format I can post.
[signature]
I've seen pictures off the new sonar like this... but damned if I can actually understand what I'm seeing. I see demo pictures of a sunken sailboat... ok I see it clear as day... but where the hell is a fish in that mess? How far above the ground is it?

The pictures look cool... but, well... I dont understand what I'm seeing.

I have a 3d finder that runs lots of diffferent beams into the water all at different angles. My display quickly and easily shows me a fish on either side of the boat and at a specific depth... all the while drawing a simple 3d representation of the bottom.

EDIT: this is what dummies like me use:

[Image: humminbirdmatrix473D.jpg]

-Dallanc
[signature]
Im running a 997c hummingbird. I looked at the 3d model and thought it was pretty cool but i cant afford two. even though I have 3 units on the boat. I have a lowrance X51 on the minkota on the front and a fish eagle on the back. When we bass fish being aware of the depth is important. Lowrance has an excellent tutorial on sonar that I would recommend for any one that uses sonar. I turned off the fish symbols long ago and started reading arches and adjusting gray scale and sensitivity for the conditions long ago. Different fish arch differently. Crappies and kokanee look very similar on sonar. Wipers, walleye and carp look alike. The side imaging gives us a read on structure as in seeing that a hump on the sonar is actually a road on side imaging. The side imaging will also show fish in the water column between the center and the bottom and fish will also cast shadows depending on how far they are off the bottom. Willard bay for example has big areas with almost no features on the bottom. But along the dike and around the island it has drop offs that drop as much as 4 feet or more. Plus it has a big weed bed down in the south dog leg. We can tell when we are in fish by what we see on both views. Willard definitely has very fishy areas and some that are not. But most of all just because you can see them doesn't mean they will bite. The fish move around alot also so good sonar will help you find them. then there is that gps thing that i wont get into here but that is just as important.
[signature]
Hay reelfast, good job
I have the 797 si could not afford the bigger screen [frown]
but it dose the same thing just smaller.[Wink]
love the side imaging
also up graded to Navionics Hotmaps good investment .
[signature]
Man I wish I could afford one of them.They are very cool unit's wonder what the next cool gadget will be?

Do you have any of the island Dan,curious what that looks like.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
Will a downrigger ball show up on that unit and what would it look like ???
[signature]
watch this video someone else posted on another thread, you can see the fish take the line. Pretty cool. Wish our fish finder did that lol

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8SyUcXuMg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8SyUcXuMg[/url]
[signature]
those are some nice lakers. The sonar side of the unit as well as most units do will track fish on the way up. They guys I ice fish run the sonar and when a fish comes in its like a fire drill to work the jigs. They show as a solid line on the screen just like in the video on u tube. Side imaging is like a scanner. As you move across an area it uses a narrow band of sonar to scan about 150 feet out each side and creates an image on the screen as it scans. If you stop or go faster than it can proccess the image becomes distorted. the hummingbird web site has a pretty good explanation of how it works.
[signature]
is that the one that looks like a target?
[signature]
Hey where is s8 located I dont recall a play ground? is it above the interstate or down by the golf course? or are you talking about the Slippery slide?

Blitzz
[signature]
The slippery slide just before the rock island. Just about 50 feet below the dock there is a spot we have given many jig heads and lures to. S 6 is accross from the group of homes built along the shore . where that warning bouy is. We lost a bunch of stuff on that structure too. Good fishing hole but expensive to fish. The north side of the rock island on Milner has a really deep hole with really shallow water next to it. I didn't see many fish down there. The bass were really shallow and close to shore. That lake has so much structure it is a SM Bass paradise but we did see some big schools of carp. They were pretty thick in places. Ever wonder how much money that lake makes the local motels with the bass tournaments held there?
[signature]
I fish most of the tournaments on milner so they get lots of my money and many of my friends fish up there as well so it isnt hurting burley any by having the bass tournaments there[cool]
[signature]