Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waders, fins, & PFD?
What waders, fins and PFD do you reccommend?

I went into our local Sports Chalet and looked at PFD( orange ) about $7.00.

Waders, $120.00( did not have our size).

Fins, two kinds, Hard material $35 held on with straps.

Soft with rubber that holds the foot in place, and a strap that goes around the back of the foot. $170

Will check Big 5 tomorrow.

Where can I get waders and fins without breaking the bank?
[signature]
The orange cheapie PFD will do, if you don't have/want to wear it. Neoprene waders are cheaper, but breathable is much more comfy if you can spring for them. I bought mine from Bass Pro Shops for about $90, and I will never buy neoprene again. Judging from the stores you mention, you might be somewhere in SoCal. If so, Sports Authority has Hodgman breathable waders that go on sale sometimes for about $75-80 if I remember right. Don't know if you can wait for a sale though. You can get some good deals online if you dig through closeout sites.

As far as fins, nobody seems to use the hard strap-on type fins that you mentioned. Except for me. I am on my second pair (my first got chewed by my dog), and have been using them for years, probably over a decade. I have no problems with them, except that if you use the ones with the buckles, sometimes the buckles are a hassle.

Luckily (unluckily?) for me, when I bought my current pair of fins, they were the last pair at the store, and they didn't have the straps in the package. I was desperate, so I just bought them anyway. I laced them up with thin nylon cord (you could also use long shoelaces), and just double tie them. They work fine.

I also just responded to another post today about fins, where I mentioned the Fantastic Fridays sales at creekcompany.com. Every Friday, they mark down five items to 75% off. I have seen a couple of models of fins on there. I am kicking myself for not buying the lightweight fins on there when they were only 10 bucks.
[signature]
I agree with the vest, but are you a fair swimmer? I use one with my tube.

Waders, a little tougher. I would definitely go with BREATHABLES, but think maybe Cabela's might be the ticket. But, for a good pair, you should be looking in the $100. price range. Sad but true.
I bought some Hodgeman breathable waist highs for like $79. and they were leaking within months.
Now once you bite the bullet for waders, next will be shoes. Allot of the flippers require shoes. Granted, tennis shoes will work, but you will need a bigger pair to go over the bootie of the wader. Good news there is you CAN get wading shoe/boot for under $50.
THERE IS also the flippers that you can get away without wearing shoes. Then you just get some cheap Aqua Soxs or whatever to get from point A to point B without wearing out your waders.
One thing, I wore those flat flippers with the straps across the top for many. many years.
[signature]
Hard fins it is. TomorrowI will also pickup a couple of the orange PFD`s.

Waders................................
[signature]
We have all gone through it so we feel your pain[pirate]

Hang in there, it does get easier[Wink]
[signature]
I use the hard fins and i can get around like a champ :o)
[signature]
I wear wading shoes with my breathable Cabelas sock foot waders. For fins I use Outcast fins that run about 30 bucks. The newer ones I got have retainer straps on the rear, but I have no idea why. I cut mine off. The fins float. They only have slightly more than neutral bouancy but stay on top of the water. I have never lost one. They get me around just fine. Illinoisgiller
[signature]
BigBo...

here is my two cents.. breathable waders for sure unless you are in extreme cold.. if you are in socal area then breathables are good.. I have to disagree with sis on the hodgman.. I got mine at turners outdoorsman on sale for like 60 bucks.. I dont use mine as much as FG and others do.. so they are fine for me.. and no leaks..

fins.. I got mine at basspro.. here is a link for the [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44943____SearchResults"][#810081][size 4]fins[/size][/#810081][/url] and the [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55184_100013003_100000000_100013000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH"][#810081][size 4]boots[/size][/#810081][/url] to go with them.. got them on sale as well and Im thinking like 60 bucks for both.. and they work great..

as for a PFD.. FG and others are right.. have one on when on the water.. the cheap ones are okay if you are a good swimmer.. if not.. invest a little more for your own safety..

hope this helps...

MacFly
[signature]
I have both neoprene and breathable. Just got the breathables last year. If you are in higher altitude lakes where it is cold then neoprene. Also I my first pair of the flippers were the tie on kind, they are now at the bottom of a lake. I replaced them with the nicer ones that strap around the back of the foot. Better to kick with too.
[signature]
Illinois, the tethers are a good idea even if the flippers float. I have been caught out on lakes with the weather quickly changes. I was getting blown OUT. I was kicking to come in and my fin came off. I had to seriously chase it down!. I always use tethers now, they are no hassle.

Mac, I hope I am wrong about Hodgemans. Lord knows they are still in business, so, they must be doing something right.
Do an experiment though....try wearing yours at least ONCE a week . Maybe sit in the tube or run through the sprinklers......let us know after say 10 uses how they are holding up[laugh][laugh][laugh]

I do NOT see the need for neoprene unless you already have them. But, I do have them and have not used them in 10 years or when I finally got a fair pair of breathables. And yes I fish year round in the ROCKY MOUNTAINS in them.
[signature]
sis... thats why I said I know you use yours much more than I do.. so your test of time is probably more valid than mine.. as for the sprinklers.. I think the neighbors would be calling the funny farm people on me if I did that.. LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
Poky mon does it every day.....OH WAIT, he is a sprinkler dude[laugh]
I tell ya what, there is a guy that can test waders!
[signature]
lol.. why does that not surprise me in the least..[laugh]
[signature]
Bought two pair of strap on fins yesterday.

Went flyfishing at a small pond. Nothing.

As usual ordered two float tubes. Called my cousin and told him about the float tubes. He has a tube less than two years lod that he offered me.

I was going to buy the Caddis Navigator II, but did not see any good pics of it. I go into a local Big 5 and there is the Nav II on the wall for $120.

Some days are just like that.
[signature]