Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo River Access
Ok, I'm really Confused. I'm been reading a lot about people fishing the provo. My question is how do you access the lower and middle provo. I'm new to the area so I picked up a National Geographic Wasatch Front North Map #709. It labels most (practically all) of the land surrounding the lower and middle provo as private lands. The only piece of public land that is shows is just south of Deer Creek Reservoir.

Also the map shows Forest Service picnic areas along the river clearly shaded light tan color which identifies private lands.

I will admit I need to get out and ground truth the area with the map in hand but the last thing I want to do is walk up and start fishing on private property.
[signature]
The Middle has some private land, but I would not say that it was "practically all" of it. I am not as familiar with the middle as I am the lower, but I would say that there is as much, if not more, public land than private.

The Lower has very little private stretches comparatively speaking. Also, as of today, as long as your feet are wet, you can fish private river beds in Utah. Don't get out on the bank, but as long as you stay in the water and keep your feet wet (could be tough right now, the Provo is very high) you are good to go. Find a pull off in the canyon, walk down to the river, and start fishing! Good luck.
[signature]
hmm, that is what I thought. I saw people doing this, but when I got home and looked at the map I got Confused because of the way the map has the land surrounding the river labeled. Time to check out a different map.
[signature]
Middle is predominantly public. There is some Private just below Jordanelle and just before Deer Creek. Public access points all over and you don't have to walk serious mile to get from one to another.
It is easy to tell where the Private property is.
[signature]
On the Lower Provo most the public access points are right off Highway 40 Look for the parking lots along the side of the road. I'm sure if its a weekend you'll see cars parked there.

On the middle there public access right below Jordanelle dam, Charleston & Midway.

The upper Provo is mostly private but with hb187 you just need to find a public access point and you can wade through it.

Heres a small map may clear things up.

[url "http://www.mitigationcommission.gov/prrp/prrp_access_map.html"]http://www.mitigationcommission.gov/...prrp_access_map.html[/url]

OH FYI: With the run off in full effect careful I haven't checked the flows lately but last I recall was pretty dangerous.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info folks.

Sinergy - That map is great. Thanks for passing it along.

Also, I stopped and talked to a local fly shop and an employee explained how it worked. Now all I need to do is find some way to control my addiction so I can wait for lower flows.
[signature]