Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapala knot or line clip?
I am ordering some crank baits online and am wondering if i should by some quick clips so that i can change lures faster than having to tiea new knot each time i change lures.

I was reading a report by Tom Pettengill where he says he uses them on willard to change his lures.

Has anybody used these? Im just worried that they might affect the action of a crank bait.

It sure would make things easier.. Just curiouse
[signature]
They do not change the action of the lures that I have used, although I have never used them for wiper/walley fishing because I am afraid they will not hold up to the strike and fight.
[signature]
Clips are the way to go. I have always used the clips and never had problems. One drawback they have is when using smaller suspending crankbaits and topwater lures. the wieght of the clip can make them sink nose first, not enough to really hurt. They will hold very large fish and not bend free. I have caught plenty of tiger muskie in the 20 to 30lbs range with small clips tied to 25lb line and never had one fail. They sure make my life out there fishing easier out fishing. One thing to remember is to retie the knot frequently or the line will break free from wear and tear.
I was fishing with a buddy last week, I kept catching fish, while he wasn't catching a thing, he was using a clip and I wasn't, as soon as he took the clip off he started catching fish.

I always tie directly to the lure........
[signature]
I use snap clips at willard all the time,At trolling speeds 3.0 - 4.0 mph there aint a fish in the wolrd gone have a chance to look how your tied on,LOL.It a reaction strike.

But when I'm long lining for walleye,trout.I always tie direct,at slower trolling speeds the fish can swim behind the bait and look it over.

thats my 2 cents.

TIGHT LINES

Tony[cool]
[signature]
I think I have to agree with fishinfool. If you are trolling along at a good clip, use a snap or a swivel, the fish aren't going to notice, however if you slow it down, just tie direct.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I too think that fishnfool put it to you right. I believe that the snaps allow the crank bait to have much better action and at 3-4 mph it is not being looked over too much. Besides, when was the last time you seen live bait fish swimming around with two large trebble hooks hanging off their bottom side?? Tieing direct may reduce the action a little but looks a little more realistic. But the ability to switch lures fast and frequently outweighs the cons. If you are using a real visible main line like Spider Wire or Fire Line, I strongly suggest you spend your prep time putting on a florocarbon leader like Vanish and then use snaps to connect the leader to the lures. (Ask Road if that aint true!)[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]If you want to be a purest (and I know many of you are tournament strength purests) then tie directly and have several polls so that you can keep a line out while you spend time tieing. I've fished Willard with guys who do that and they might do better than me. I just like the ease of lure swapping that snaps afford.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm sorry guys but after seeing it first hand, me and my brother fished for 2 hours, I boated 6 or 7 fish before he took the clip of and tied on direct, he wasn't back in the water for more than a couple minutes before he started catching fish, maybe it was just a fluke, but I know it made difference that day, and we were fishing for wipers trolling around 3 to 3.5 mph per GPS

I have always had better luck trolling for anything by tying directly to the lure, how long does it take to tie on direct, 20, 30 seconds? if that improves my chance of catching fish, I'l take the risk of being out of the water Smile
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I must admit F-N-F, it is VERY hard to argue with success.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Next time you and I are out on Willard together, we'll just have to test our beliefs side by side.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Got ta love this site![/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm ready to go whenever you are......
[signature]
I have noticed that if I don't use a clip larger than necessary that the lure gets considerably better action with a smaller clip.
[signature]
i personlly perfer to tie a lure straight to the line for the same reasons f-n-f does BUT a case in point did a lot of wiper fishing with MGB last year he allways used a snap swivel and he allways caught more fish
chris
[signature]
Truer words have never been spoken TD. I have always used leader, usually I little lighter than the line I fish with. Being in a hurry and tieing directly to the line can cost you a lot of fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I never use a snap-swivel next to the crank bait. I use just a snap (without a swivel) to keep the hardware at a minimum. I do put a swivel between my main line and my leader.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Jake's Spin-a-Lures actually recomend that you use a snap swivel to attatch the lure to your line. Some lures don't work well with that set up. I use berkley cross lock snaps when I want a snap. I've never been able to tie a rapala knot that will hold. And Rapala recomends a knot that doesn't cinch up against the eye of the lure.

Berkley makes several sizes of the snaps that I use. I like the smallest one they make.

My two cents.

Fishrmn
[signature]
maybe i better expand my horizions a little whats a rapala knot ? i pretty much stick with the palomar knot there is a loop knot called the president loop (i think) i use to get more "wiggle" outta my cranks
chris
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies.

A Rapala knot is very easy to tie and creates a loop that let's the lure move a bit more easily because the knot is not cinched right up to the lure.

I will give these little quick clips a try...it gives me one more excuse to go out fishing.

Or maybe im just a fishing gimick junkie!
[signature]
In the box that contains a Rapala lure they have a slip of paper that explains how to tie a Rapala knot. The advantage of this knot is that it lets the lure move freely; whereas a polamar knot attaches the line tightly to the lure. I have tried both knots on lures, and the Rapala knot will usually result in many more strikes.
[signature]
does anybody have that piece of paper that comes with a Rapala that they could post?
[signature]
Go to [url "http://www.steelheader.net/knots/knots.htm"]http://www.steelheader.net/knots/knots.htm[/url]
[signature]