Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texan needs fishing & camping imfo
Hello my name is Alan I am new to this site. I have always dreamed of trout fishing in Idaho and this year is going to be the year. I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me a great spot or two that a man could pitch a tent and fish for trout in the southern or central part of Idaho? I should be in Idaho on or near the 8th of July. If anyone should see me my bike and I have a big tent with a red top my camp is open to all feel free to stop by and say Hi talk fishing hunting have a cold beer. Thanks Alan
[signature]
Alan,
Can you narrow down the area a little more and what kind of fishing do you prefer? Bait or Fly? Lake , river, or creek?
Camping - remote or designated?
Man we got so much to choose from we need to narrow it down some.

Rod
[signature]
I suggest the stanley basin to anyone that wants to see great sceinery, great fishing, and hiking. There are hundreds if not thousands of camp spots you can camp at. Its a place that any texas boy would like. What part of texas are you from. I lived in auston a while and have family all around the houson/galviston area.
[signature]
Thanks for getting back with me. I like remote camping as long as I can get in and out on a bike. I have a fly rod along with spinner. I would like to do a little of both river creek and or lake. I will have wadders. I at this point have no set plans other than finding a place and hopefully catch some trout or at least have fun getting there and trying. I guess what I am trying to say is I am open for just about any kind of fishing.
Thanks Alan
[signature]
Alan,
Jigs gives you great advice regarding Stanley. The rivers might be dropping somewhat by then, and the scenery is knock-out gorgeous. There are better places to fish, perhaps, but no more beautiful, peaceful place to camp and fish. There are also some great hot springs to enjoy in the area, and downtown Stanley can be a lot of fun on a Saturday night! Also, you can enjoy some great ghost towns in the Custer area, and an enjoyable dredge tour. Mike
[signature]
Hey Mike, If I might ask where are the better fishing places? I need to expand my horizons....[Wink]
[signature]
Probably the go-to location for most is the Salmon River, which runs right through Stanley. Flies work great at times, but the last few times I was there with a high school class--most of whom hadn't fished before--the kids slammed 'em with either a bit of night crawler, or salmon eggs. If you have a boat, try Stanley Lake for trout, kokanee, or big Lake Trout. Redfish isn't very productive. Alturas was mentioned recently on this post as being good at times, and there are lots of drive-in and hike-in smaller lakes. Too many creeks to enumerate. Good luck. Mike
[signature]
the dredge ponds are a fun place to fly fish they are only planters but the water is crystal clear and who knows how deep, also you can try your hand at gold panning up there. I disagree about redfish not being productive the inlet is one of my favorite places in the world to fish, mosty bulltrout but we have caught 5 lb rainbow and cutts there. Valley creek is a great creek to fish, its artafical lure only.
[signature]
I have to agree with these guys on Stanley Basin. Some of the most awesome scenery in ID and the fishing isn't bad. Loop around through Bear Valley (Dagger Falls) to Deadwood Res.. Should be able to give you a fishing report as time gets closer to your trip. Rod
[signature]
Jigs is right about the inlet. I have done really well there. We were fishing in a canoe, which you could rent from the resort, and were letting salmon eggs just drop down over the edge of the drop-off out from the creek. They would hammer it every time. Rod gives you a great suggestion re Bear Valley and the Deadwood area. Enjoy Idaho!!Mike
[signature]
I love that inlet, i wade out to the point were it drops off, alot of times you can see those big bull trout cruzing back and forth, i have actualy caught them and while they are coming in they throw up everything in there stomach. they will spit out 12 inch kokanee!!! We have caught some bulls there as big as 10+ lb. Never actualy weighed one just pull the hook snap a pic and away they go.
[signature]
Thanks jigs
I live San Angelo about two hour ride from Austin. I have a older Atlasand am having trouble finding the Stanley Basin could tell me what is close to.
Thanks
[signature]
jigs this inlet? is that at Stanley? That sounds like a fun place to fish.
[signature]
Alan,
Stanley Basin is just north and over the hump from Sun Valley. The town of Stanley is right in the middle of it. Try google earth, it's free to download and perfect for exploring new areas. The inlet that jigs is talking about is at Redfish lake just south of Stanley. Can't miss it as its the #1 destination there and well marked. When I was a kid and didn't mind swimming in the cold water we would snorkel there to look at the big bulls. We were convinced they were big enough to eat us. Rod
[signature]
Thanks Rod I'll try google earth and check it out. Sounds like it got some big fish.
Thanks
[signature]
I was talking redfish lake but i have fished the inlets of stanley, alturas, and the one below alturas, pettit? not sure if thats right. We use to get the biggest bulls from alturas but the last few years it seems we couldnt keep our eggs in the water because of the squaw fish.

When i was a kid i use to swim in there like mad, I still hold the tradition of getting in once a year but it sure takes your breath away. My brother hiked up to sawtooth lake last year and has pictures of some kids jumping off of huge hunks of ice into the water... i will see if he will email them to me and post them.

If you cant find stanley from sunvalley, try challis and just follow the river up river.
[signature]
I did find Stanley and redfish lake thanks to google earth. Looks really nice. How are the roads getting to redfish lake? I will be on a motorcycle pulling a trailer.
As for jumping in the lake I think I will have to pass on that. But would love to watch you. I was in Colorado once and there was a 8 old boy I told him I would give a dollar if he jumped in the lake his mom said go for it and he did. I was so funny I gave him a $5.00.
[signature]
roads are paved all the way to redfish lake, i would maybe call and try to get a reservation if your going over the 4th it can get buisy up there. I think you can find the camp ground name by googling it. if you have any problems finding it let me know i know my family has it.

You should jump on in. Just to say you did it. I remember actualy jumping in soaping up jumping back in to rinse off. My grandma use to tell us it closes the ours and its good for you.... I think she didnt want to smell 3 stinky boys anymore.
[signature]
Like was said, the Stanly area is truly awe-inspiring. And there are numerous camp grounds in that area. If you're going to be further south on the east side of the state I would recomend the Preston area just over the ID/UT border. Also more toward Jackson Hole WY you could look at the PaliSades area that has lots of great fishing in that area, streams, lakes, blue ribbon trout fisheries, etc. There are also lots of campgrounds in that area. Plus people go through all those areas on bikes every year so the roads should be more than adequate.
[signature]
Like I said, this place has a ton of places to go and they are all great for there own reasons. So what do you ride? My friends and I all ride dual sports and that opens up so much. We have a shack in Grandjean and will spending some time there fishing as soon as the weather gets better. Send me a PM if you would like to fish. Just be forewarned that my 4 yr old usually out fishes all. I guess I taught him to well!! Rod
[signature]