Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tubing Northern Wisconsin....
Rained all the time non-stop the first three days. I only got to do it on a rainy day Sunday. [frown]
Found the water way cold to use my jeans tubing so I brought along the hip waders/boot. It didn't fit the fins I always use so test the one that u strap on. I had to laugh at myself being a mummy with all the stuff on.... nope that hip waders/boot with that kind of fins didn't move me an inch! Wow it did keep me warm...but I can't get far![mad]
I fished for an hour and I didn't like those stuff.
Had a few fish but didn't land any and had a hard time trying to figure out what those fish were. Too much rain and my hat was getting too soaked and leaking it down my back. That was cold! I had the rain jacket on but not good enough with that much rain....[:/]
Later in the week my sister talked to the cabin caretaker about that lake, he said it is a dead lake. Something happened to it a few years ago killed all the fish. Used to have those big muskies,pikes, walleyes and all those game fish so there is nothing in there now.... she told him I had a few strikes and told him what kind of fish. I don't think he believed me...
I had to "hang up" my dream to fish for a muskie or those pikes tubing or any fish that I don't have back home. Had no right "stuff" for it...
The next four days was sunny and warm but "flat" water all day no winds at all. Did make fishing tough with the boat too.[mad]
Last day of vacation my brother says take the tube out as my sister said water is pretty warmed up. So I did and did the jeans way. Oh boy I loved it and fished all day and didn't get cold![cool]
No luck catching a muskie or a bigger pike over 24 inches but I did catch all those hammer handle pikes...
I liked one of the bass that threw the lure about two feet in front of me and jumped on my lap![Smile]
A few guys came up to me about the tubing. I don't think they ever saw one doing it. Boaters (that's my brother and nephews) going by leaving a big wake hitting me, kinda fun for a ride!
Everyone wanted to know how far I went and I told them where I went and they all said "wow that far..."
It is a different world doing the tubing up there. In the boat u can see the pikes rocketing off to hit your lures, in the tube that was way too close right at your fins! They do catch u by surprise!
I really love the way of tubing there![Smile][cool]
[signature]
I like your story Bluegillman. Got any pictures?

Peter
[signature]
Neat story there Bluegillman . lol I'm ready for the waderless trips here also ,but I'm somewhat of a wimp for the cold water.
As mentioned ,pictures would add greatly with the beautifull country you enjoy up there.
Yes, I know ,always more stuff. lol Food for thought. ole giller
[signature]
Didn't have the camera with me, wife had it with her. Someone took a few pictures of me and I hadn't seen them yet. When I do I would post it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good story...and a good example. It pays to be prepared for whatever weather might come up...and to make sure you have the right boots and fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I seldom carry rain gear but sometimes take out a folded up big black plastic garbage bag. If a sudden downpour moves in, I just put the bag on over everything and wait for it to lay down. Summer rains sometimes don't last long. If it looks like it is going to hang in there for awhile, and I want to keep fishing, I cut a hole in the bottom for the head and then pull the bag down over the rest of me. I don't have to cut holes for the arms. The bag works like a plastic poncho. The main thing is to keep your back dry. If your back gets wet and chilled the rest of you won't last long on the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Image: 60658.jpg]My wife says to get this. I don't know about those...

I wonder if just slipping on the fins[url "http://www.portablekayaks.com/product/CA-Acc-63227"][Image: thumbnail.img?picture.image.url=%2Ffiles...5242785020][/url]
that I have would fit those "bootless" waders without having to put on gym shoes?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You have to make the fins fit the waders and whatever footwear you put on to protect the neoprene feet of the waders. Tennies will work for most warm water situations, if the shoes are large enough to go over the waders. Then, if your fins are large enough, the tennies will fit inside. If your fins will not hold both the waders and tennies, you need bigger fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can wear fins over the soft neoprene feet in the waders, without wading shoes or tennies, but you should not walk in your waders without something covering the feet part. It does not take much to wear a hole in the feet or to get a leak in them if you walk on rough parking lots or rocks in or around the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You always need to work it forward and backward. Get waders large enough for your feet and a couple of layers of socks and clothing. Get booties or shoes large enough to go over those waders. Then, get fins large enough to hold it all. You can't just buy a pair of fins and then hope to make everything fit inside if they are too small.[/#0000ff]
[signature]