Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Bait caster should I get?
Now I have a quantum response reeel ($50)

I want another cheap baitcaster and have these 2 options

Bass Pro Shops Tourney Special 6.3:1 5 Bearings for $50

Or should I go with the Bass pro shops megacast for 35$ with 4 bearings and also 6:3:1 ( It has great Reviews)
[signature]
I bought the Browning Fish Stalker Combo from Bass Pro, on sale for $80, and I have been thoroughly happy with it. Really smooth reel, handles great.
[signature]
My opinion, don't buy a cheap reel. You can buy a nice Quantum for around $80.
[signature]
go big or go home. I purchashed the Diawa Viento baitcaster and i love it. not a problem and i can bring in slack with one hand because of the twitchin bar...perfect for me since im in a kayak 90% of my fishing trips.
[signature]
I agree 100% with fsh4fun05. Save that $50 for a while longer and get a really good real when you get the money. Baitcasters are like a fine tuned car. Buy a good one you get a corvette, buy a cheap one you get a cavalier. What would you rather have?
[signature]
d*** fine analogy bigpike. I agree to. Save it and get something good. While my practice of buying the browning may not seem in sync with what i say, one of my fishing co workers said a lot of good things about browning reels, so that's why I invested. and I'm glad i did.
[signature]
Dude Shop! eBay can get you GREAT reels for half the cost.

Any baitcaster under a $100 is a piece of shit. Shimano, Quantum, and Abu Garica are all making state of the art reels. Some of their older classes that are still good are being sold new.

What size do you want? Low-profile? Small? 7 to 1 gear ratio? 5.01 crankin reels? Its alot to think about.

If you have good stores go checkout what they have, but don't buy right away. Find what feels good to you. I spent 3 hours one saturday at Sportsman's Warehouse playing with this one reel. I loved it, yet I didn't buy that same reel. Just before I was going to pull the trigger to buy it, I saw a different verison and tried it. Checked the spool, the drag, and braking system. It cost me $20 more bucks but I still use that reel today.

I really like the Shimano Curado 101D or 100D. I found some on eBay and got them for half price. Its not my most expensive reel, but its very verstile and fits very nice in the palm of my hand.

[signature]
Since we're on the subject of reels do you have any experience with the Shimano Citica reels? If so, what's your opinion?
My first baitcast reel was a Quantum 501 pt? and I still have it and use it on a regular basis. The color where I rest my thumb is gone and it's seen many fish but it's still one of my favorites...I think I have a picture of it somewhere from another post. I'll see if I can find it. I spent $89.00 on it about 11 years ago and it's worth every penny.
[signature]
I haven't played with a Citica. Shimano takes older models makes a slight adjustment then then comes out with a cheaper new model. For example, the Curado 100 series are almost the same model as the Chronarch MG's. So, in this frame of thought. The current Citica might have been younger brother of the Curado.

The difference is now the 7 to 1 reels. The handle housing is larger on the new series'. What the makers do now is build one frame for all gear ratio's. Today's baitcasters are alot better than 5 years ago. I have all Curado's and Chronarch's. And, I have three difference versions of each. I prefer the smallest reel that will fit into my hand.

IMHO, search the higher end reels. Find closeout sales or go to auctions. Spending $150 on a reel is not a bad thing. Save a little bit more somewhere else, like lures. I've only paid full price on my first Chronarch.

One important issue is reel weight. The under a $100 are usually very heavy or they are made with cheap plastic innards.

This is my favorite
[Image: %21BURQvugB2k%7E%24%28KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmgM5VB...E%7E_1.JPG][Image: Citica.image.-familyImage-Single-image.dash.512.384.gif] See the large housing? That would give the "CLAW" or hand fatigue.

[signature]
Abu garcia is making some good bait casters and i have been really satisfied with what i have.. very little back lash... the amount you spend is usually the quality you get...
[signature]
if you are bass fishing drag power is what to look for, cheep reels will not say what their drag power is look for yourself.
[signature]
As for myself I'm a beginner with bait casting reels. But I found 3 reels that I have purchased and they have been great. ( 1 ) is the Abu Garcia Black Max then I also bought ( 2 )Cabela's Prodigy and the ( 3 )Abu Garcia Silver series, which all are left handed retrieve reels. I have found that they have been great for me and very easy to use. I also found that I haven't had to many back lash or bird nest and the price for them not to bad!
Dennis
[signature]
u.s. reel supercaster, have to new baitcaster you should look at,. go to bass pro shop look at item # 38-345-728-00.
[signature]
[left]I have spent some money on most of my reels, but Pinnacle has a couple good reels at a good price. I have a platinum and the integra model. I have had no problems with these reels. You can find them at Wal-Mart.
[signature]
Wait till get a hold of a big one, you will find out the hard way.
[signature]