Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pressure wash 180 F
Because of the spred of zebra mussels and such many
lakes aroud here (so cal) are taking all kinda steps and
mesures to stop mussels from getting into they lakes
and reserv.
One lake which I really would like to go tubing told me
that they MUST pressure wash my tube at 180F.
I just dont think that my tube (SFC) is going to take
that very well.
What do u think about that?

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That should not do any harm to your tube. Just remove any sensitive contents from the pockets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]180 degrees is hot, but not even boiling. It is still FAR below the melting point for any of the PVC, nylon or urethane components. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best/worst that can happen is that you will get your tube well cleaned. However, you might not want to be in it when they spray it. OUCH.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ha ha ha -you funny TD.[Smile]
Ok , if YOU think that it would be ok then I feel a little
better about it.

Peter.
[signature]
zebra mussels...oh boy I wonder how far they got? We have them in Lake Michigan and they don't like them for many reasons.....
[signature]
I spend a week on Harsens Island (lake st. clair)fishing last year
and had some of the best time of my life.
Just saying.

Peter
[signature]
what lake in the socal area is doing this?? I had heard they were doing that with all boats but this is the first Id heard of it with tubes or toons

MacFly
[signature]
I can tell you this....NO WAY IN HADY's would I let them power clean my toon, let alone the 180 degrees with out them signing a binding agreement "They break it, they buy it".
I can't see 180 being a good thing with thin vinyl or urethane at all.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]CHILL. Only a few seconds. Not long enough to do any damage. Just leave the air pressure slightly low to allow for heat expansion. PVC and vinyl components are stable to over 500 degrees F. They won't melt or be damaged by 180 degree hot water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Have at it
I am not going to take that chance...boat is a little too expensive, and no bladders, just welded.
I know what 180 can do to my skin[pirate]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]what lake in the socal area is doing this?? I had heard they were doing that with all boats but this is the first Id heard of it with tubes or toons

MacFly[/quote]

its lake cuyamaca.
most reserv. and lakes aroud here dont even allow float tubes anymore (morans).
Some will just inspect for wet or dry tube, some want to
bleach your tube (stupid morans).
Yeah it a pain in the a$$.

Peter
[signature]
was just curious... like you said most dont allow persoanl craft of any kind... except the pay to play lakes and most times they are very crowded ..... either way Id be hard pressed to let any of them come near my tube with a power washer.. not only the temperature of the water but the pressure itself.. Ive accidentally messed up patio furniture covered in heavy cloth with my powerwasher.. and I was watching what I was doing (well thought I was).. you get someone who is in a hurry.. not paying attention and Im sure damage to your gear will result..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]was just curious... like you said most dont allow persoanl craft of any kind... except the pay to play lakes and most times they are very crowded ..... either way Id be hard pressed to let any of them come near my tube with a power washer.. not only the temperature of the water but the pressure itself.. Ive accidentally messed up patio furniture covered in heavy cloth with my powerwasher.. and I was watching what I was doing (well thought I was).. you get someone who is in a hurry.. not paying attention and Im sure damage to your gear will result..

MacFly [cool][/quote]

Oh Im sure damage it will be and I told them that
(on the phone when I called before I was thinking
of going there).
They told me that if I dont like it then dont come.
How nice, She did sound like a total white trash too.

Peter
[signature]
that does seem to be poor attitude.. I know they are worked hard and with cut backs etc.. but still you are a potential customer... seems to be a good way to lose business....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]CHILL. Only a few seconds. Not long enough to do any damage. Just leave the air pressure slightly low to allow for heat expansion. PVC and vinyl components are stable to over 500 degrees F. They won't melt or be damaged by 180 degree hot water.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[cool] You're almost right.
180° might not hurt vinyl, pvc or urethane. But you're not dipping the tube in a vat of hot water.
A couple hundred pounds of pressure (like from a pressure washer[crazy]) is where the damage is going to come from. You can have no heat and the pressure will damage it.
Take your tube to the neighborhood carwash and give it a try. Then report on what happened.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I used to HAVE to take my tube to the carwash every time I fished in the marshes below New Orleans. That sticky, nasty salt water marsh mud was impossible to get out of the tube fabric any other way. But, those were the old round boats, with inner tube bladders. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still, I would not hesitate to spray my Super Fat Cat and will probably do so in the next week or so, just for grins. I already doused it with a bleach solution...twice recommended strength...and it did not fade the colors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the final analysis, we all have our own choices and decisions to make. Do we want to fish in the lakes that have the pressure wash requirements? If so, are we going to allow them to hose down our pride and joy? Most importantly, do we care enough about avoiding the spread of the little aquatic beasties that we will do whatever we can to avoid being a part of the problem.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have taken the Outlaw X5 to the carwash. Works fine. Just don't get carried away with it and keep your distance. Water pressure drops a lot on those pressure washers with distance. At 18" distance you will be down to around 100lbs or less on most. I had to do something with mine after towing it behind my camper on some dirt roads. You almost could not tell the color of it.

I also did it on the Colorado. It helps to keep the material clean. Maybe that is why I always caught fish on that toon. The fish may like the smell of soap.[crazy]
[signature]
And I agree, if I can wash it MYSELF I am cool with it. If they demand to do it...again "you break it, you buy it".

I think I am entitled to that right. I mean a clean boat is a clean boat no matter who does it...right?! I think I am more qualified to clean it as some high school kid with a summer job.
How hot do you think CAR WASHES are? And how much pressure, won't that vary for different car washes?

I have been cleaning my own boats for a long time[Wink]
[signature]
Car washes are usually regulated around 125 degrees for safety purposes and to conserve fuel/energy. Pressure varies quite a bit from car wash to car wash and pressures can be from 1000psi to 5000psi or more at some truck stops with 2500psi being a good pressure to do the job. This is at the nozzle tho, so that is why I said the distance is the key.

What I do not get is why 180 degrees? You only need around 130 degrees to kill the snails and mussels.

I do agree about the "You break it, You buy it." The do it yourself part I completely understand also, but I would bet this is a liability issue.
[signature]
Ok , then I was talking to the "lady" on the phone at lake
Cuyamaca about this, I was trying to get some more
info about who is doing it and how .
However she was so nasty that I just
hang up the phone.
I shoud call back and ask to speak to someone in charge
manager or something.
It is very nice lake with trout, bass, cats, panfish,I think
even sturgen.I would love to fish there, but............

Peter
[signature]
Utah has some pressure washers available at the state parks and they are only at 140 degrees.
[signature]