Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Fork river cats and white bass
So I got bored and decided to run down to the river and check my old fishing hole. Haven't fished it for a year or so. It was so overgrown with trees, it took me about an hour with saw and loppers to get down to the river. And the bugs,,,wow, I thought I would run out of blood before I got my hook in the water.
Anyway, I put on a couple big split shot and a hook and crawler. Threw it in and bam,,white bass. The water is real high and flowing strong, but every cast until the worm was completely gone, I got a white bass. Then I cut up a bass and tied on a bigger hook. And added a 3/4 ounce sliding sinker. Threw it in and within five minutes had a seven pound cat pulling off line. Good fun.
Started feeling a little woozy, from blood loss or because I hadn't eaten anything, not sure which, so I went home.
The bass are still full of eggs. So they are still in spawning mode. Seems awful late in the year for them to still be doing that.
Going back tonight with a full tummy and a five gallon can of bug spray.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I live in SF and fish the river near the rodeo grounds a couple times a summer (when the water is clear-ish). All I ever catch are browns, I hadn't considered those other species in the river closer to the lake...I'm assuming. Good luck on your second trip out; the bugs are only going to get worse.[:/]
[signature]
your my kind of fisherman walleyebob!! hacking through the trees just to get to your fishing spot. i havent been down that road for a while now since youve cleared it up i may have to give it a try>[Smile]
[signature]