Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dutch John Area Fishing
I am gonna be in the Dutch John area next week, have never been there. Any tips on where to fish and fly's to use.

Also, can I use a kayak for fishing in the area?

Thanks.
[signature]
The Green River is right there in town. It is a world class trout fishery.

I have many favorite flies for that river, but it is always worth a stop in at one of the local fly shops for up to the minute info.
[signature]
The Green below Flaming Gorge Dam (less than 10 minutes from Dutch John) is one of the best, if not the best, tailwater fisheries in the world. I agree that the best thing to get an idea on flies is to go to one of the two shops. Trout Creek Flies is right in Dutch John. FG Lodge is about 10 minutes or so up the road.

This time of year is usually cicada time. Although the weather has been really wet, and that has kept them at bay most of the year so far. If you're nymphing, scuds and midge larva patterns are always working, regardless of the time of year. Also, don't be afraid to throw some big ugly streamers. There are some abnormally large browns in the Green, and they eat other fish for a living!
[signature]

Thanks.

I usually stop at a local fly shop to find out what's hot, but also like info from BFT.

Will a kayak or wading be better for the fishing?

Thanks.
[signature]
Wading will be better. You could kayak it I guess. But you wouldn't do much fishing while floating. You'd need a shuttle from Little Hole back to the dam to pick up the vehicle, or have someone shuttle it down from the dam to Little Hole. They are the only 2 put-in/take-out points on the "A" Section. (first 7 miles of river) The "B" Section goes from Little Hole down 7 more miles to the next take-out. A trail goes all the way along the river basically, but those are the only access areas.

I'd suggest going to Little Hole and fishing up in the morning, and then after lunch drive up to the dam and hike down and fish back up to the car until dark. That's a good way to spend a day fishing on the Green.
[signature]
You can kayak the lake there too, and catch rainbows and/or smallmouth bass along the shorelines. As was stated, the river is overflowing with trout (and people[Wink]). If you and your kayak can handle a little whitewater, you can float the river and just stop and wade fish areas along the way. Be sure to have some river experience though. It can get fast in spots with some small waves in a few of the rapids.
[signature]
only rapid on A section thats "odd" is mother in law rapid towards little hole..... its nothing big, just a big bend in the river. i went down it on my maiden trip on my toon, but i was, at the time a river rafting guide on the american fork in cali.... if you dont approach it from the right angle it will put you right in the rock wall... other wise a fun flaot!
[signature]
check when the damn will release water. 2 weeks ago they were letting a lot of water out at noon, for 2 hours, for the chubs or whatever downstream. It takes about 2 hours for that to reach little hole. that shut the fishing way down for that time in the area of high water. Also on Sat. the river traffic was crazy. I don't think I will go on a Sat. again. Friday was great. Scuds, para adams. and a goofy fly I got at Cabelas. a bh prince with brown ruber legs and a maraboo tail. I liked that one. drift it or strip it. The guides were drifting scuds 3 feet down in 5 feet of water, and picking up a few. Have fun.
[signature]
Thanks All.

Fished up from little hole, 2 pm - 6pm. Went to the FG Resort fly shop, Grasshopper's were the hot fly. Picked up 2 rainbows and 1 brown ( will post pixs later). Lost 3 others.

Small mouth were biting in the gorge, and I trolled for Kokes but could not find any, just a bunch of small bows.

Beautiful area, I will be going back.
[signature]