Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WADERS...A NECESSARY EVIL
[cool]In several other threads we have gotten off the main idea and started discussing...and cussing...different kinds of waders. I thought it might be good to solicit the input of a few fishing fans...tubers or not...who have opinions on the different kinds available, and their experiences...both good and bad.

I'll start it off by saying that I don't even use waders during the warmer months. I consider them to be in the same realm as insurance...something you need to have but would really rather not spend the money on.

During the milder times of the year, during transition from late summer to the coldest waters of winter, I prefer lightweight waders...adding layers as needed to keep up with comfort requirements of the falling temperatures. I do the same thing in reverse when the water begins warming in the spring.

During the winter...even in Arizona...neoprenes are best for bulk and comfort. You can wear several layers of "sweats" or wool, under lightweights, but you can still develop cold spots. Excess bulk can also put a strain on the seams of your lightweights, and can cause constriction in your feet, beneath your boots and fins. That only increases the effects of the cold water and you have to get out and do the "tuber's stomp dance" to get the circulation going and warm your feet up.

I mourn the demise of the Red Ball ultralight waders. In the 70's and 80's I bought a new pair about every two years. They were cheap...under $40...and they folded up into a very small package for packing or travel. They were well made and had ample space to accomodate as many layers as I needed to keep warm. I wore them in the coldest waters of winter, on several lakes in Utah and Colorado. Those were the days before good neoprenes become available and affordable. They disappeared from the market several years ago.

I am a big guy. I wear XXL in most of my clothing. It is extremely difficult to find waders big enough to cover me and to hold extra layers in cooler water. Many manufacturers have their waders made "offshore", and what the residents of some foreign countries consider XXL is only about a Large by US standards. So I always have to try my waders on, with full clothing, before I buy them. That's a good practice, regardless of what size you wear.

I still prefer lightweights for most of my fishing. For some reason, the neoprene waders are always cut more "form fitting", and are not designed for anglers with "ample proportions". But, they are definitely warmer when warmth is needed. Today you can find them in varying thicknesses, so that you can use them over a wider range of water temperatures.

Actually, the waders I have been using most, the past two years, are a hybrid of lightweight "breathable" material and neoprene in the foot portion. I have really appreciated the extra warmth in the feet, during cold water seasons, but I still can't give a good report on the breathable material. I have never been able to get a pair that does not leak...usually in the lower portion, where the seams join the neoprene and the breathable lightweight material. And, even though the breathable material is supposed to wick out perspiration, I still have damp clothing under my waders when I emerge from the water on many occasions...in addition to actually wet socks.

I have settled on the Hodgman ultralights...which usually can be had for around a hundred dollars...less if you watch for a sale. Important for me is that they come in my size...double extra gross. They are adequate, and do as good a job as many makes that are three times the price. They all develop leaks and let water through the material. And, even the higher priced Goretex still do not let moisture evaporate. If you work up a sweat, you will not get your money's worth from "breathable waders".

One bit of advice for those considering buying lightweight waders. Some...like the Cabelas...are made with very narrow ankles. You can't get them on over a heavy pair of socks, so they are not good for cold water fishing. I also had three pairs (of Cabelas) in a row fail at the crotch seams. It ain't like I tried to cram too much "equipment" into the crotch. They are just not a strong seam and come apart after little stress. Ditto for the knee areas.

When Xman was visiting in Arizona...two years in a row...we compared waders and outlooks. We both were using the Hodgman neoprene foot lightweights and both agree. We have gone through several replacements and have yet to find a pair that is totally watertight. But, there just ain't a really good set out there that meets all the requirements and is affordable by the average tuber.

So...let's hear it. What is everyone using...and why? Would you buy the same thing next time...or what would you change if you could? Maybe we can get some good input to put before some of the manufacturers. If nothing else, we can air our gripes in public.

TubeDude
[signature]
Sorry but no input from me... atleast not these few years. I suspect I will not be free ballin' in the years to come... althought I have contemplated getting light breathables for the simple fact that I can stay dry (or drier) than free ballin'. Please put in your two cents, I will need the info in the years or months to come when I will be shopping for waders. (short and wide)

Halibut.
[signature]
[cool]In spite of what our US Constitution says, not all men are created equal...when it comes to buying waders. As we all have discovered, sooner or later, not all of us fit the ideal shape for which waders were made. And, unfortunately, wader manufacturers mass produce only a few sizes and shapes...not a wide range for all potential needs.

For anyone who has a "disproportionate" shape...like wider, rather than taller, I would recommend getting the lightweight waders. You can get them large enough to fit the top, without having to worry too much about the legs being too long. The thin material will "stack" better than neoprene will. That is better than having the legs the right length, but having the top too tight so that you can't fit both you and your clothing inside the waders.

Waders make fishing more comfortable because they keep you dry and warm. Otherwise, they are a necessary nuisance. However, they do allow you to fish longer in cooler water...although they do make "draining your bilges" more of a problem. Almost everything in life is a tradeoff.

If you want to get some more input, I posted this same thread on the Utah board, and there are some good comments on the Simms Goretex waders. These are available through TackleDirect (One of our advertiser/sponsors) for $199 a pair.

[Image: tackle_1732_13435094]

TubeDude
[signature]
I have a pair of the stearns waders, but i was told that they don't last very long. what are some of the things that you have heard about them.

Aaron, how much were your waders, and what kind are they??

joe
[signature]
[cool]I haven't had any personal experience with the Stearns waders, although they do make them in XXL, and for about the same price range as the Hodgman. Overall, Stearns has a good reputation in the sporting equipment industry. They make a line of float tubes and also floatation vests and other accessories. I have never heard anything bad about any of their equipment.

I don't know where you heard they don't last long. I would suggest that you take good care of the ones you have and make your own decision. If they hold up for more than a couple of years of heavy use, they are as good as anything on the market. On the other hand, if they leak the first time you take them in the water, you need to replace them until you get a pair that does not leak. And, if they stay dry the first couple of outings, chances are they will stay dry until you poke a hole in them with a fish spine...or rip out a seam while trying to do more than you should while wearing waders.

How long have you had them...and do you rinse them in fresh water after fishing in the salt? That can help prolong the life too.

TubeDude
[signature]
WADERS ? I LOVE EM' . I CHECKED OUT THE TAG TO SEE WHO MADE MINE ( BOUGHT AT GANDER MOUNTAIN ) " MADE IN TIWAN " WAS ALL I COULD FIND , THAT AND A FEW DOSEN REPAIRED HOLES .

I'LL BE VERY INTERESTED IN WHO YOU GUYS THINK MAKES THE BEST ONES . FOR ME A SNOWBIRD IN THE NORTH , HASSERDS ARE EVERYWHERE . STICKS AND BRANCHES EVERYWHERE LOOKIG TO PUT A DAMPER ON MY FISHING AND DUCK/GOOSE HUNTING .

THANKS GUYS .
[signature]
well, my waders were not leaking untill the time that i got out to go do my business and i gaffed myself when i got back in my tube. hhaahh... what an idiot![Sad] I patched them, well, tried to. they still leak a little bit, but not too much that it is a bothersome. It is kind of refreshing!haha. Well.... I'm not sure if the water inside is my sweat or water. I think i feel some water seeping in after awhile, but i'm not sure. and when i take off my waders and empty out all the water, I'm not sure if it came in from the top. so i am pretty much lost.hehe

and yes, of course, I always rinse my waders, even if i'm fishing freshwater.

joe
[signature]
[cool]We posted this tip a while back, but it can stand posting again. To find a leak in one of the legs, fill the leg with water and watch for water coming through to the outside. Have a marker handy to mark the spot and then dry out the waders and patch the leak.

If you can find some, Aquaseal is a good thing to patch almost any waders. It takes a while to cure, but will hold good and is flexible. You can also use it to patch spine holes in vinyl and urethane air bladders on float tubes. Here is a link to a website that tells more about it.

[url "http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=2291"][#800080]http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=2291[/#800080][/url]

TubeDude
[signature]
alright, I'll give it a try. but first I'll look for it in stores. thanks TD

joe
[signature]
[cool]I forgot to mention, that one of the good things about Aquaseal is it is available in a lot of places. I have seen it in tackle shops, dive shops, military surplus outlets and even Wally World (WalMart). The tough part is finding the Cotol accelerant that helps it cure faster. Not every place that stocks the Aquaseal also carries the Cotol.

TubeDude
[signature]
Yeah and just to add to this my newest replacements are now leaking and the inner material has almost completley been separated from the main outer material. I cant even use them for a whole year before they start leaking ugh. I have a theory. The companies make these waders based on average use. I bet they figure someone will use them on average about 2 time s month or so. Therefore good for about 24 uses. As for me I do that in either one month or two therefore mine are worn out in a couple of months. That is the only thing i can figure. I have never punctured my waders and im very careful with them. I turn my breathables inside out everytime after use as well. Now i have to take these 3 month old replacements back already. Though the market may not agree i think a $100 dollars for waders isnt cheap either.
[signature]
Tube Dude! A real issue "I" had to face this late evening! Like yourself,I too am XXL,and being a resident of So.Cal.,I being a novice to the Tubeing World,I had to ask myself,"Self" for this weekend,not haveing Wader's yet,Is it REALLY NESSESARY to NEED WADERS! in a warmer water situation? and if not,where can I purchase inexpensive finns,that wouldn't cost me a arm-leg over the counter?Being a Kayaker,Hypothermia,is not a issue,unless you overstep your limitation's in distance from shore.As too in Tubin'.But ???? What are the Real Concerns in Tubbin'I Should Be Aware Of?
[signature]
[cool]Hey, good buddy, happy to have you drop in to our little playroom here. I'm not sure I got a good read on what you are trying to ask, but it seems like you are getting ready to join the ranks of the tube-aholics.

If you are a real masochist, and are looking for some light reading, I can bury you with a bunch of words on paper. I will start by attaching my guidelines to selecting a craft, on this post. That kinda guides someone into what to look for, based on budget, type of fishing, personal size and strength, etc.

The selection of waders, fins and other "accessories" are based along similar lines. I'll attach some pages on some of the options here too. If this stuff whet's your appetite and generates more questions, shoot me an email or PM and I can send you a couple of sections from my book.

It would seem that "dunkin a donut" is a simple sport. And, it can be. But, for a serious angler who wants to take full advantage of the advantages of chasing fishies this way, it can get a whole lot more complicated. For example, you touched on the prospect of having a problem while launching or beaching your craft...if you do it wrong. That is the subject of a whole chapter in my book..."TRANSPORTATION, LAUNCHING AND BEACHING".

There is another whole chapter on "PROBLEMS AFLOAT" that deals with everything from "calls of nature" to leaky air chambers...to wind and rain, etc. The main thing I preach is Prevention is better than knowing solutions. I love the old Dirty Harry saying "A man should know his limitations."

The easy part of float tubing is fishing...if you have already mastered the basic skills. However, because of the unique aspects of fishing from a "flotation system", there are both advantages and diSadvantages. Some are readily apparent... like not being able to get that sucker up "on plane" and blast to the other side of a lake. But, that is more than offset by being able to sneak in and get "up close and personal" with the fish without spooking them.

If you wanna get serious about this stuff, feel free to drop your questions on the forum for general input...or PM me and I'll be happy to provide what I can.
[signature]
I also am from SoCal. I use waders. chris, aaron, and I both feel that we need them. we would suffer without the. 65 degrees might be warm for the fish, but trust me, you wont last long. the cold will start to get to you and your muscles will cramp up and you will not feel like doing anything. whether it be fishing or kicking back to shore.

every once-in-awhile, save-on-tackle will have a sale that sell stearns waders for only 50. that is what kind I have. they are very thick. but do not keep you too warm. they work for me, but i dont know if they have your size.

as for fins, sportmart sells some for only 15 bucks. DO NOT USE BODYBOARDING FINS! it is sooooo much harder to get around if you use body boarding fins. they dont go throught the water as well and are much harder to kick.

I hope i was able to answer your question in this post and good luck.... you chris, aaron, and I should get together and go float tubing too!!!

joe
[signature]
[cool]Good points. Couldn't have said it better myself, Joe.

Hypothermia ain't cool.
[signature]
Sorry for the late response Tube Dude.The Attachments and Consideration's to Tubbin" are appreciated.Stepping closer to the Water,from your helpfull info. will make my choice,confident."But" the News spotted various "GREAT WHITE " sharks in Malibu and Pacific PaliSadies.No Worries! Posted a Not To Long ago about my Personal First from the Surf about a Battle with One!With MANY, at Doubt,mocking my posting on a message board.Forget the waders,if your going to go down,"Life Goes On".No better way to be remembered,doing what you love! FLESH & FIN'S 4 ME!!! Yea Hawww!
[signature]
[cool]Hey RMF, I read your post and I didn't question your statements for a second. A true fishermen would never think of challenging anything another fishermen ever said. We can't afford to "diss" a brother angler, because you never know when you yourself might come back from a fishing excursion with wide eyes and a look of shock on your face...and need support from those you mocked.

Hey, I've got my own "true" tales of hand-to-fin combat that most folks might roll their eyes and say "Yeah...sure.". If I get that response, I just chalk it up to "I owe you one, dude". Then, I keep the good stuff to myself after that. No sense sharing gems with "grunts" who can't appreciate the truth of a great story. I call it "maintaining my ascendency". Pretty fancy words for a smelly fisherman.

I once heard that the difference between beginning a fish story up north and down south goes like this:

NORTH: "Man, let me tell you what happened to me today."

SOUTH: "Hey, you guys ain't gonna believe this sh#@."

About those great whites close inshore, I don't doubt it for a second. With the increase in sea lions (Thanks, Fish & Game), the sharks have more food available along the coastline and they are going to hang out where the groceries are. Would that affect my decision to "go afloat"? Probably. My mama didn't raise no fools. I always preach not to take your craft into any situation where there is a good chance of encountering adverse conditions...like wind, waves, current or toothy critters.

On the other hand, I still get behind the wheel of my car and get out and play with the idiots on the streets and freeways. I'm guessing that my chances of going out in a bloody mess are greater in a car than in a float tube. And, ya only live once.

Like you said, it's better to "cash in your chips" while doing what you enjoy than to live a long lingering life in a rest home and wheel chair. I know. I have been watching my dad die slowly in a nursing home. I'd rather feed a poor hungry great white and contribute something to the ecology...but not right away, thank you.
[signature]
I cannot agree with you more,and "It Goes Without Saying!". This is the Greatest Attribute,we ALL HAVE, as AMERICAN's and Can truly say"ONLY HERE,WE CAN TELL THE TALES,TO THY KNOW SELF BE TRUE! FREEDOM IS OUR FUEL,and GOD "whom ever he or she may be" Can Only Be "TRULY BE EXCERSIZED, IN THIS BRAVE AND GLORIOUS COUNTRY!" God, HAS BLESSED AMERICA! HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!
[signature]
MAN , LET ME TELL YOU WHAT HAPPEND TODAY , WAIT A MINUTE , LET ME TRY THAT AGAIN .[mad]

MAN YOU GOTTA LET ME TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED TODAY !

NOPE , STILL AIN'T RIGHT [mad]. I GUESS YOU CAN'T FAKE BEING SOUTHERN , NO SH#@ ![Wink]

GREAT WHITES ? NO SWEAT [cool]! TRY OUT ONE OF OUR NIBBLER MUDPUDDLE MINNOWS [shocked], THEY'LL PULL THE HAIR OF YOUR LEGS ONE AT A TIME ! [crazy]

GREAT , NOW I WON'T BE ABLE TO SLEEP TONIGHT ![unsure]LOL!

I'M WITH YOU ON THE NEEDING YOU FELLOW MAN'S HELP ONCE IN A WHILE , I MYSELF HAVE BEEN BOTH ON THE GIVING END AND THE RECIVING END .

THERE ARE THREE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DON'T KNOW MY NAME , AND NEVER WILL , BUT I CAN GUARINTEE YOU THEY WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT A STRANGER DID FOR THEM , NEVER !

THEN THERE'S ONE GUY THAT I HAVE MADE MY LIFELONG PAL , HE PULLED THIS SINKING DUCKHUNTER OUT OF THE MUCK WHEN HE WAS DOWN TO HIS LAST SHELL AND A MINUTE TO GO , TWO OTHERS JUST WALKED ON BYE DISPITE CALLS FOR HELP .

YOU REALLY NEVER KNOW WHEN IT'S GONNA BE YOUR TURN TO BE GIVING OR RECIVING , HAVING BAD BLOOD WHEN SECONDS COUNT , WELL IT JUST DON'T WORK .
[signature]
Hey there! Thought i'd check out another board out.
Ive had a pair of hodgeman neoprenes for 4 years now and could'nt tell you how many times ive used them. My boots wore out after 1 1/2 years. They were hodgeman also. I am thuraly(however you spell that word) happy with my hodgemans. I got them for 40 bucks on sale at sportsmans warehouse. Wow what a bargain. Last month though my buddy took me out tuben. I've never been before that and if I don't get a tube soon i'm gonna go nuts. I need a tube before the 1st of august. HELP ME!!!!!!!!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]