Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WADERS...A NECESSARY EVIL
[cool][size 1]In several threads on the float tubing board we have gotten off the main idea and started discussing...and cussing...different kinds of waders. I thought it might be good to solicit the input of other fishing fans...tubers or not...who have opinions on the different kinds available, and their experiences...both good and bad.

I'll start it off by saying that I don't even use waders during the warmer months. I consider them to be in the same realm as insurance...something you need to have but would really rather not spend the money on.

During the milder times of the year, during transition from late summer to the coldest waters of winter, I prefer lightweight waders...adding layers as needed to keep up with comfort requirements of the falling temperatures. I do the same thing in reverse when the water begins warming in the spring.

During the winter...even in Arizona...neoprenes are best for bulk and comfort. You can wear several layers of "sweats" or wool, under lightweights, but you can still develop cold spots. Excess bulk can also put a strain on the seams of your lightweights, and can cause constriction in your feet, beneath your boots and fins. That only increases the effects of the cold water and you have to get out and do the "tuber's stomp dance" to get the circulation going and warm your feet up.

I mourn the demise of the Red Ball ultralight waders. In the 70's and 80's I bought a new pair about every two years. They were cheap...under $40...and they folded up into a very small package for packing or travel. They were well made and had ample space to accomodate as many layers as I needed to keep warm. I wore them in the coldest waters of winter, on several lakes in Utah and Colorado. Those were the days before good neoprenes become available and affordable. These waders disappeared from the market several years ago.

I am a big guy. I wear XXL in most of my clothing. It is extremely difficult to find waders big enough to cover me and to hold extra layers in cooler water. Many manufacturers have their waders made "offshore", and what the residents of some foreign countries consider XXL is only about a Large by US standards. So I always have to try my waders on, with full clothing, before I buy them. That's a good practice, regardless of what size you wear.

I still prefer lightweights for most of my fishing. For some reason, the neoprene waders are always cut more "form fitting", and are not designed for anglers with "ample proportions". But, they are definitely warmer when warmth is needed. Today you can find them in varying thicknesses, so that you can use them over a wider range of water temperatures.

Actually, the waders I have been using most, the past two years, are a hybrid of lightweight "breathable" material and neoprene in the foot portion. I have really appreciated the extra warmth in the feet, during cold water seasons, but I still can't give a good report on the breathable material. I have never been able to get a pair that does not leak...usually in the lower portion, where the seams join the neoprene and the breathable lightweight material. And, even though the breathable material is supposed to wick out perspiration, I still have damp clothing under my waders when I emerge from the water on many occasions...in addition to actually wet socks.

I have settled on the Hodgman ultralights...which usually can be had for around a hundred dollars...less if you watch for a sale. Important for me is that they come in my size...double extra gross. They are adequate, and do as good a job as many makes that are three times the price. They all develop leaks and let water through the material. And, even the higher priced Goretex still do not let moisture evaporate. If you work up a sweat, you will not get your money's worth from "breathable waders".

One bit of advice for those considering buying lightweight waders. Some...like the Cabelas...are made with very narrow ankles. You can't get them on over a heavy pair of socks, so they are not good for cold water fishing. I also had three pairs (of Cabelas) in a row fail at the crotch seams. It ain't like I tried to cram too much "equipment" into the crotch. They are just not a strong seam and come apart after little stress. Ditto for the knee areas.

When Xman was visiting in Arizona...two years in a row...we compared waders and outlooks. We both were using the Hodgman neoprene foot lightweights and both agree. We have gone through several replacements and have yet to find a pair that is totally watertight. But, there just ain't a really good set out there that meets all the requirements and is affordable by the average tuber.

So...let's hear it. What is everyone using...and why? Would you buy the same thing next time...or what would you change if you could? Maybe we can get some good input to put before some of the manufacturers. If nothing else, we can air our gripes in public.

TubeDude [/size]
[signature]
I also use the Hodgman ultra lights. Only my problem is different than yours. Being short and oversized also has it's diSadvantages. No matter what I buy, nothing is going to fit right. I just got into tubeing but I've used the waders for my flying. Used my tube for the first time a few weeks ago and discovered I had a hole in the crotch. I had so much fun I didn't really care. Al
[signature]
I have a pair of Simms Gortex waders that are indestructable. They get abused regularly on small brushy streams. I even crawl up on holes on certain streams. These are the best waders I've owned bar none. They are a little pricier, but have outlasted several pair of Hodgemans. I personally prefer Gortex waders for extreme cold over neoprene. I nymph in the winter, and it's often well below zero in NE Utah. I just put on layers. I find with neoprene, if you add layers you will cut off your circulation in your legs. This can be critical in cold weather. Gortex waders are much looser and therefore more comfortable which keeps me out on the water longer. Just my $.02

Good Wading, Kayote
[signature]
I am a Simm's gortex guy myself. Tough as ever. They have held up much better than any other waders I have ever used. They are a little tight on the ankles if you are a bigger person though. They are also a little expensive. I use the "Pro Guide" style. I know they make some that are a little less expensive and are still supposed to be far above the competition.
[signature]
I use Hodgman wadelites. I am a fly fisherman on a budget. I got them for $80 at Gart. Bros. I have had them coming up on 2 years. So far, they work great. I use them year round. In the winter, I have polar fleece pants and smartwool socks that I wear underneath.
[signature]
I'm a [size 1]neoprene guy myself, love em. I've had mine for about 5 years now and this is the first year I've developed a leak in them. Took them out tubin last weekend and found out that we've leakin in a couple places. But even after several hours even in the rain we poured out only about a quart of water. Now I don't mind but it sure would have been a whole lot warmer had they not leaked. What is the best way to find the leaks? fill em with water? Double check all the seams? Then when you do find a problem how do you fix it?[/size]
[signature]
I've just used tire patches. Depending where the leak is, of course. I patched mine about 2 years ago down by the foot. It still doesn't leak there but now I have one around the crotch. I'll have to find it and decide if I should patch it or replace them. Al
[signature]
Do I have something to say here! I have both the neaoprene and ultralight waders. They both have their good and bad sides. Like TD I am a rather large fellow and wear an XXlarge.

Here's my experence I use to wear the Hodgeman chest rubber waders. I mean for years and years I wore these. They were heavy to carry, cracked after a few years so you were always patching them. But you could get an easy 5 years out of every pair. And they never cost more than 40 bucks! In the late 80's I bought my 1st pair of neaoprene waders. Talke about sticker shock, if the old hodgemans had not been worn out, and the salmon weren't running, I never would have bought them. But they were oh soooo warm in the cold water, it didnt take long and I was sold on them. The big draw back, they started leaking after a year or two, and were easily torn by the branches and debry in the rivers and streams were I fished. But they were sooo warm. LIke TD they fit like a glove, one that hadn't streached out quite enoguh, and I had seam problems (not cabelas brand). Mine were in the feet and inseam, thats when I learned about shoe goo. That stuff works like magic. But the neaoprene were always to long in the inseam and too big in the foot. I now have a Cabelas brand that are about 5 yeras old, they have yet to leak, but fit no better than any others. This past fall I bought my 1st ultra lights breathable waders.

I went to Hodgeman this time because of past experences, price, and fit. They make a size called *STOUT*, I think this means for us fat people. At any rate they fit great, with one exception, the feet. I wish these companies would make their waders by foot size also. Making them to fit from sz 10 to 13 just sucks. They are not warm in the cold winter water and you have to layer or freeze. And they leak, I just thought it was me until reading these post. Mine do not leak at the foot welds/seams. They leak where they were folded at the factory and then boxed. On that little fold seam they spring a leak, I patched it the first time thinking it was me. The second time I took it back where I bought them and they replaced them right away. But the new pair leaks in the same place. I like the light weight breathables very much ...... I hate the leaks. So now I am on a qwest to get cabelas or another manufacture to make a *stout* size in neaoprene waders. All the freedom of movement, the confort of fit, and the versitility of the ultra lights are out weighed by the fact that they leak so easy. At least that is true for me. When FB2 ask me for a pair I will remind him my experence 1st then go and buy him a pair ..... along with a new tube of shoegoo for the repairs.
[signature]
Hey FFM, I fill them with water when I get home. Well the leg that is leaking anyway. MY back prouch is high enough to hang them by their straps. When the leak apears I mark it with a marker, drain and dry the wader. Then patch the hole with shoegoo. Reach inside the wader and with your finger push outward streching the material, then add a dab of shoegoo or the repair glue that came with the waders to the area that you marked. Remove your finger and let dry over night. The streching will allow the glue to contacct all sides of the hole and seal it bacck together. I have yet to have the same leak re-appear after a repair. I hope this helps, it what has worked for me.
[signature]
Hey guys,

I've recently decided to give up, go gore-tex and wait until I could find a pair of Simms Guide waders on ebay, sale, or simply save up. I just have not had any luck with durability and leaks. I'm probably hard on them. They last about 2 years and by then I look like a leopard with all the leak repaires and eventually I can't keep up. The Simms Light Weight looks allmost afordable but am concerned when they advertize for the "occassional" angler. Anyone have experience with the light weights and durability?

You guys that have posted on your Simms - are they the "guide"(pricy) model?

Leaky
yes mine are the guide model but they have been well worth it. I don't buy a bunch of stuff every year but this pair has been out more than 300 hours on tons of beaver dams and brush and are still as water tight as the day I bought them. I can't say that about a singe pair of neoprenes in the past. Total both breathable and neoprene I have owned over 20 pair and nothing is as tough as these. Sweat talk the guy at the counter. There is a ton of mark up in these and maybe he will deal.
[signature]
I've used the neoprenes and they all developed a leak around the pressure points from tubing. Mainly around the feet and inseam. I can be totally soaked will tubing but if I wade the shore line or fish a river they don't leak. I picked up a pair of Wadelite 2 that looked a little more durable then the wadelites or the wadelite 1 series. They leaked after the 3 trip out and now I've just get used to being a little wet. Haven't used them in really warm water but they definately are more comfortable to walk in. I'll wear them all day and not over heat like the neoprenes. I guess for the price they work great even if they fall apart after a good year or two. The leaking I can deal with especially if the fishing is good.

I'm about to buy another pair of Neoprenes for the cold weather fishing and use the breathables during the summer.
[signature]
[cool]WADER REPAIRS.

We had a thread going on paints and adhesives, on the float tube board, that turned into a discussion of wader repairs. Here are a few of the excerpts.

Hodgman and others make repair kits for Goretex and Neoprene. They work, but only as well as the person using them properly. For the best neoprene repairs, go to a diving shop and get some neoprene glue, and maybe some strips of both extra neoprene and the backing tape they use on seams...like on the crotch. Neoprene cement is a "contact" type stuff, that you apply to both surfaces, and then stick together after it mostly dries.

Shoe Goo is a handy stuff to have around for wader repairs too. It seals well, is waterproof and is flexible.

For the past few years I have been a believer in Aquaseal...a flexible urethane liquid that dries to a clear, flexible finish and bonds to almost any surface. I have repaired all kinds of waders with it, and it works to seal leaks in vinyl and urethane air chambers on float tubes (and air mattresses, kid's pools, blow up dolls, etc. Whoops. too much information). You can find more uses and applications at:

[url "http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=2291"]http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=2291[/url]

A couple of personal notes on Aquaseal. If you apply it as is...out of the tube...you need to let it sit on the level for several hours to cure. If you can leave it for at least 24 hours, it will be there for the duration. If you are out on the water, for the weekend, and want a faster cure time, you can also purchase the Cotol styff that goes with it...to clean up and help it cure in 2 hours. Come in, find the hole, apply the mix of Aquaseal and Cotol, eat a sandwich and/or take a nap and you're good to go.

Many repair kits are good for one patch job. Once you open the adhesive, they dry out. With Aquaseal, you put it in the freezer between uses and it will last for several years. Just be sure you thaw it at room temperature for awhile before trying to use it each time.

TubeDude
[signature]
As always you all are a collective wealth of information. Thanks to all for their input. Who'd a thunk, you ask a simple question and you get more info about your question than you've ever dreamed.

Thanks
[signature]
Hey FFM,

The best way I've found to find the leak is to take the leaker into a dark room stick a flashlight inside the boot [wader] and run it up and down until you see light coming through. Works almost every time.[Smile]
[signature]
[cool]That is one way of finding a hole. I have used it successfully, especially when I had a good idea where the leak was and didn't want to fill the waders with water. However, there are some elusive little buggers that defy the flashlight trick and you still have to use the water.

It's like trying to find a pinhole leak in a float tube, after a pesky bluegill or perch has let go of the hook and bounced off your craft...with spines erected. Even when you know where to looks, the leak can be so slow that it is tough to find. Holding a fully inflated tube under water is like trying to stuff hot butter up a tiger's behind, with a pair of knitting needles. You can only do it one small portion at a time. And if you have a small tub and no swimming pool (or cooperative neighbor with a pool), it really becomes a circus.

When faced with a tough leak to find in an air chamber, I mix up some soapy water and air the tube or bladder up to the max. Then I either wipe the soapy water on with my hand or spray it from a fine mist sprayer. If you have a good soapy solution, the slightest air leak will blow a bubble...or a stream of bubbles. Mark the spot with a waterproof marker and patch it when it's deflated and dry. (This also works for finding holes in the kids' vinyl pools and air mattresses.)

That latter system works best outdoors in bright sunlight. That also makes the spouse a lot easier to live with than a waterlogged bathroom and torn down shower curtains.

TubeDude
[signature]
That was funny. You made my morning with that joke.
[signature]
Tube,

You can't beleive the bicyle patches I've put on my old tube (it finally ripped from over inflation once) from putting big blue gills, perch and small bass in the pockets!!!!!! I finally learned to use my ditty bag! This include transporting via a long walk!!!

I have tried the soap solution method, (very early method for finding leaks on missile propusion systems and pneumatic systems) but I still have better luck by inflating and submerging in a large container, i.e. wheel barrow, if you're strong enough to hold under water and don't mind geting wet, particularily if you have no idea where the leak is.

[crazy][Tongue]Leaky
[cool]It takes a real he-man to hold even a small section of an inflated truck tube under water. But, if you have a general idea of where the leak is, it is faster and not as messy.

On several trips, I have stripped the leaking tube down while still at the lake's edge, and aired it back up with a portable compressor. Then I just wade out into the water and look for the leak. As long as you have something to mark the hole, that saves some fuss back home. Of course, if you have hiked a mile or so to the lake, that ain't so easy.
[signature]
I guess I must be the lazyest fisherman here. When I got a slow leak I took it over to the tire shop (Big-O). They aired it up dropped in their tub, placed the cage over it and surmerged it in the water. As soon as they saw bubbles they rotated it to the leak marked it amd asked if I wanted to patch it, or could he. I asked how much? He said nothing it was kind of cool to have a float tube to work on (I didn't tell him TD it's one of your special tubes). He patched it and helped me put it back in the cover, we then aired it up and I was off to the lake.Never got a drop of water on me ..... well until I got to the lake that is LOL
[signature]