Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help on using a downrigger
I tried the berry for kokes today with no luck i know i am doing something wrong (besides hitting the bottom alot) have far back should my lures/doggers be back from the clip on the rigger? also why when i smack the bottom does my hardware wrap up around the down rigger any other advice for a newby to kokes would be so appreciated by all or if i could persuade some one to go out with me or i could partialy fund a trip with someone to learn the basics. Thanks ahead! -Steve[crazy][crazy]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]Here is a picture of how I set up my downrigger terminal gear. I rarely have tangles or bottom hangs-up with this arrangement. The wire device is located about 12” above the downrigger ball. This keeps expensive dodgers and lures from catching bottom. You can buy it at Walmart, I think it is used for Perch or Crappie fishing; there are three of these spreader devices in one package. You have to thread them on to the downrigger cable and clamp sleeves on the cable to keep them from rising up the cable. If your lure or line gets around the cable it’s an easy task to untangle as the wire device spins free, 360 degrees, around the cable. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
As far as how far back from the release to run your lures, you need to experiment and change the length until you find what the fish like on any given day. In general I fish anywhere from 10’ to 110’ behind the release. If there is a lot of boating activity going on I run longer leads as I think the traffic makes the fish boat shy.
[signature]
I run my gear above the ball as well. I also attach my pop-gear to the downrigger ball, and have my release about 18" above the ball. This keeps the line from tangling in the flashers. I run a dodger from about 10 to 125 feet back from the clip (depending on what the fish want-just experiment), and my spoon or whatever behind the dodger. It is way more fun (and productive) not to have to fight the flashers and the fish. Just having a dodger on the line makes it more fun, and easier to land the fish.

I never hit the bottom because the fish I hunt are usually suspended from 10 to 45 deet down in 200 feet of water. There is a long way to the bottom.
[signature]
I would agree with that at the gorge but i was at the berry and all the kokes seem to be like 3 ft off the bottom in 90 ft of water. My ball has two eyes on it so i attached my clip to the rear one but it seemed like my line kept slipping up and putting the dodger right next to it i guess more practice is in order I will try the hookup on the cable. I use dodger and lures i ordered from garys tackle (dont know if it works here, he is in cali.) but I have never used a flasher how are they set up?
[signature]
They have books on troll with downriggers,
also Shasta Tackle has a DVD,

I sounds like the line is slipping thru the release you are loading up on the pole to much,
that would let the line slip thru the release.
You can run off the ball with the release and have your dodger / lure back 50 to 100'
Go to [url "http://www.lurejensen.com/"][/url] [url "http://www.lurejensen.com"]www.lurejensen.com[/url]
This should help.
Roger
[signature]
Are you using Cannon releases? I used to have that problem with Cannon releases - I have since switched to Scotty releases (pinch on type) and do not have that problem any more.

Sometimes if you grab you line in a loop and then twist it a couple of times, and then connect your release to the loop - this will help you line from sliding through the release.

If I am fishing deep, I will often have my bug 30-50 feet behind the ball. If I am fishing shallow (<20 feet deep) I will fish the bug 75 - 100 feet behind the ball.

I have caught several kokes at Strawberry over the years & I do not think I have ever seen kokes down 90 feet. I am thinking 60 feet is about as deep as I have ever seen them - middle of the day in summer. Are you sure you are seeing kokes @ 90 feet in depth?
[signature]
[quote 4_luv_of_fishin]I tried the berry for kokes today with no luck i know i am doing something wrong (besides hitting the bottom alot) have far back should my lures/doggers be back from the clip on the rigger? also why when i smack the bottom does my hardware wrap up around the down rigger any other advice for a newby to kokes would be so appreciated by all or if i could persuade some one to go out with me or i could partialy fund a trip with someone to learn the basics. Thanks ahead! -Steve[crazy][crazy][/quote]

90 ft? Wow... I dont think those are kokes. I fished up there saturday and caught 1 koke, it was down 35ft. If I have balls down, I never ever get within 10ft of the bottom... ie: if I'm down 50ft I never go more shallow than 60ft.

Good advice above on the scotty releases, I love them. You do NOT need a huge bend in your pole... these aren't king salmon. If you put that much bow in your pole you wont notice when you pick up a small planter. You want just enough of a bend to put tension on the ball.

My lures I run 50 to 100ft behind the balls, I run 2 lines stacked per ball and will vary the distance depending on which line is which (ie: deeper ball I might run 50, next line up I migh run 100ft.... I dont want all the lures to next to each other in the water. I stagger the 2nd downrigger 10ft off of the first one... so say 45 ft on one, then 35ft on the other.

Kokes are hard to catch, no doubt about it... but 90 ft? I've gotten good at catching a few every trip... but I've never ever caught one deeper than 55ft. They like water between 50 and 55 degrees... no sense going below that.

Assuming your colors are what the kokes want to hit, the next big thing to try is various scents. That has a huge impact on getting action or not.

-DallanC
[signature]
the only schools on the fishfinder were there lots of single fish shallower but i dont know i need someone to go to the berry with me that has some experience in this..any takers
[signature]
Are you available this weekend?

PM sent.
[signature]
4Luv, I attach my pop gear to the back eye on the downrigger ball. I like the Mack's Flashlight flashers as they have less drag than most. I use stacker releases about 18" to 2 feet above the ball. The flashlight flashers would just churn silt if you dragged the bottom. They cost a lot less than a ball, that's for sure.

I use Offshore Tackle or Scotty releases. I have a couple of smaller yellow offshore releases similar to Sep's releases, but they only really work well if it is really calm and there isn't any crap in the water.

Flashers (Pop gear, lake trolls, ford fenders, beer cans etc.) usually are run inline with your wedding ring or whatever behind it. It creates a ton of drag. Hooking them to the ball and running the terminal tackle separatly removes the drag, and allows you to land more kokes. I have found 18" to 2 feet is enough separation that even when there are big waves the two don't tangle often.

By the way, I have never seen kokes hold tight to the bottom like that. Usually they suspend in open water. That creates some interesting problems...
[signature]
I believe you are too deep. I have caught lots of Kokes at the Berry and have never fished deeper than 55-60'. Usually 30-40' and you will find the Kokes. You do have to find the school and the right colors then it is all fun after that. I will admit that it took me a few years to get it down but you are getting some good advice here. Watch the video on Shastatackle.com and keep trying. It's worth it.
[signature]