Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first fish on flies
So I finally got my camera and my computer talking and on the tail of having posted some fly fishing question I thought I would post my pic of the first 2 (and only so far) fish with my fly rod[Smile] Technically I was trying to nymph for trout on the lower part of the mill river but hay man fish is fish! The Bluegill first then what may be the largest bass I ever landed with a fly rod[Wink]
[signature]
Nice. You are right, a fish is a fish. MAN THAT BASS what was that like 5 lb.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Way to go Jim - BTW I think that bass would be in the 7 lb range. Just between you and me who's going to know the difference. Now the next assignment is to catch a fish [any size] on a fly that you tied yourself.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
damn thing almost cleaned out my line when it started to run[:p]
[signature]
I'm laughing.......[laugh]
Okay, I have to admit....I go after those trophies also.

[Image: IMG_1359.jpg]

That is a #14 scud hook.
[signature]
dryrod ......

baby steps man, I am still working on proficiently tying my leader to my to my fly line (and untying the knots that I am so good in making in said leader)

I think I will work at catching a fish, any size, that I am targeting first. that said though I may move to the pond and target small bass and panfish[angelic]

fish on[fishin]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Just yanking your chain Jim. I was fly fishing for almost 20 years before I started tying. BTW are you talking about wind knots? [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
the sort of wind knot that you debate getting mounted [mad]

after getting the knots out I just go back to working on my roll cast

got tips ???
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]I hardly qualify as an instructor but as I understand it one of the problems is tailing loops, which cause wind knots. Wind knots are not necessarily caused by wind but most often by poor casting. They happen when the fly, coming forward passes under the forward moving line and crosses it, wrapping the following leader and fly a single turn around the line. The cast simply throws a single overhand knot into the line or leader. It is caused most frequently by a slowing down of the rod during the stroke of the cast. Line starts moving rapidly and when it slows down it allows the path of the fly to fall below the tip of the rod instead of passing over it in a tight or wide loop. The solution is to make sure that on the casting stroke there is constant acceleration of rod and line right up to the point of turnover.Hope this helps a bit.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
all tips are knowledge and all knowledge helps[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]