Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
different types of lines
alright, yes I'm new...just saying.

Anyways, I'm kind of Confused, what's the difference between all of the different types of lines (mono, test, etc.)...could anyone show me a link or something? or care to define?
[signature]
Here is a real quick explanation.

Mono= floats+stretches

Fluoro= Sinks+no stretch

Braid= Very Strong, has much smaller diameter than mono or fluoro.
[signature]
[quote bigpikeguy]Here is a real quick explanation.

Mono= floats+stretches

Fluoro= Sinks+no stretch

Braid= Very Strong, has much smaller diameter than mono or fluoro.[/quote]

o alright. Thanks! Now...what about test, i've been seeing things like "you'll want to use a 4 to 10 lb test for this".
[signature]
Test involves alot of factors. It would be alot easier to explain if you would tell me what type of fishing you plan on doing and i would be able to explain Test better.

Just to let you know that test is how much force the line can take before breaking. Example: 10lb Test will break when you put 10lb of force on it, in perfect conditions.
[signature]
i will be fishing mostly bass and trout.
[signature]
Well for bass i use between 8 and 17lb test mono. I use gamma because i feel that is is the strongest mono out there. I will use the lighter line for fishing more open water and the heavier line for fishing dens weeds and sructure.

For trout i use 4 to 6lb test line. Im not much of a trout fisherman but this always seemed to work well for me.
[signature]
so i've been thinking, and maybe it's best for me to start off with one species of fish haha! So i'm going with bass. Now...do you use the 8 and the 17 lb for both largemouth and smallmouth? or just one of them?
[signature]
Yep same for both, i've taken on some really hard hitting smallies up lake erie and i was using 10lb mono and it worked great. If you are using spinning equipment i would recommend not going over 10lb test. If you are using a bait caster then you can venture to the heavy stuff.
[signature]