Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Picking Out NEW Rod...
So here is my situation, I am looking for an overall rod that will work for bass as well as use it duel for pike/muskie. I am looking at the Cabelas Tourney Trail Casting Rod 7ft. Heavy Action..but I have also looked at the St. Croix Mojo Bass Casting Rod 7ft. Heavy action..anyone have any suggestions on which one will work out the best for my needs....
[signature]
For the money go for the cabelas line. Good rod for the price. I have two Cabala brand rods and I"m very happy with them.
[signature]
I just don't think you're going to be able to use one rod for both... maybe a flipping stick for bass that you could throw Mepps spinners with for muskies or pike. You're going to have to use different line, that's the main thing. Judging from the pike I caught, I wouldn't use anything less than 50 pound braided line. The only bass fishing you'd be doing with 50 pound braid is flipping. I mean, you don't want to use that kind of line for crankbaits, jerkbaits, or anything that resembles finesse fishing.
[signature]
I have a powell MAX 703 and i use if for pike as well as bass. i have it spooled with 14lb mono and with a 25lb steel leader i never lost a pike with it. I got quite a few in the 40" class. So i don't really think you need 2 rods, just a good reel with a good drag system that is properly set. It would be nice yes, but i think you can get away with just having one. I don't know how much the rods are that you are looking for but you might wanna look into some Powell rods. They are awesome and very sensitive. Mine was $140.00.
[signature]
I agree. Now that I think of it, the leader is probably enough. You've never had a pike break the main line, though? I had one on last month and I thought he was going to break my rod. The son of a gun hit my spinnerbait while I was dipping it in the water cleaning the weeds off it. I can't believe my rod didn't break when he ducked back under the boat. I think I had 30# braid on that rod.
[signature]
The only time i had pike break my line is when i was not fishing for them, and not using a leader. I was practicing for a tourney and useing some zoom super flukes last month and WOW the pike loved them. I lost alot of hooks that day. i think seven to be exact. However i did get a few in but not all. I had a few in the past that i thought may break my rod, but if you use a good reel and have the drag set just a little loose your will be fine. i always tighten up the drag during the fight. Some of them boys hit like a train and i don't like having the drag real tight cause they could easily snap the line above the leader with the way they hit. SO KEEP THE DRAG LOOSE. lol. And good rod + good reel = bigger fish in the boat.
[signature]
i have a cabelas rod and i love it. I have many cabelas brand products and they work great and they stand behind there products so you can try it and use it for a while and if you really dont like it they'll take it back.
[signature]