Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling motors
I am looking to purchase a motor for my toon. What would be a good one for a, 8'-9' toon? I am looking at the minn kota 30, but not sure if that is enough or too much thrust or long enough shaft.
[signature]
it is perfect.
[signature]
How about the Minn Kota 34?
[signature]
You bet. Great price at Cabela's too.
[signature]
Thanks, I may end up getting it from Sportsmans due to a $53 gift card I need to use. i am leaning toward the 34. A little longer shaft and thrust power.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I am looking to purchase a motor for my toon. What would be a good one for a, 8'-9' toon? I am looking at the minn kota 30, but not sure if that is enough or too much thrust or long enough shaft.[/quote]
If your toon has a mount already, just about anything that can reach the water will work and be MUCH faster and longer range than fins or oars. May not be a good idea to exceed recommended weight capacity and balance with the over 80# of a troll motor assembly- if there is no mount. The non-electronic (resistance type) speed control type were by far the most reliable and cheapest many years ago. PWM electronic speed control is more efficient if you are not using top speed much, but it was most of the repairs according to the repair shop guys. I haven't used an off the rack troll motor for many years, so PWM may be better by now.

I used "trick out" my minn kotas to double the thrust by using a smaller prop and 2 batteries. Saved me some grief a few times when the enterpise was in trouble and emergency power was needed.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[signature]
[quote pontoonman][quote albinotrout]I am looking to purchase a motor for my toon. What would be a good one for a, 8'-9' toon? I am looking at the minn kota 30, but not sure if that is enough or too much thrust or long enough shaft.[/quote]
If your toon has a mount already, just about anything that can reach the water will work and be MUCH faster and longer range than fins or oars. May not be a good idea to exceed recommended weight capacity and balance with the over 80# of a troll motor assembly- if there is no mount. The non-electronic (resistance type) speed control type were by far the most reliable and cheapest many years ago. PWM electronic speed control is more efficient if you are not using top speed much, but it was most of the repairs according to the repair shop guys. I haven't used an off the rack troll motor for many years, so PWM may be better by now.

I used "trick out" my minn kotas to double the thrust by using a smaller prop and 2 batteries. Saved me some grief a few times when the enterpise was in trouble and emergency power was needed.

Hope this helps.

Pon
[/quote]
When are we going to see some pictures of your boat(s)
and 'tricked' out motors? We've seen just about everybody else's. Post some pictures would ya!
[signature]
I'm still trying to figure out what he said[crazy]
[signature]
Sorry, for pictures see Peter's post on "new toon need help". That's me with my latest.

Regards the troll motor, 5 speed should outlast the higher cost variable speed because electronics are fragile. The troll motor and battery are heavy so special balance is required for 'toons not already coming with a motor mount. It is possible to "turbo charge" your troll motor by using 2 smaller batteries and a smaller prop instead of the original prop. In "turbo" mode you would get up to 60# thrust with a 30# thrust motor, but only works with the 5 speed.

Hope this helps.

Pon
[signature]
I went with a smaller prop to slow me down[crazy]
[signature]
"Less is more", "smaller is faster", etc.... But then, what do I know....

Pon

[quote flygoddess]I went with a smaller prop to slow me down[crazy][/quote]
[signature]
I understand, we put a smaller prop on our water skiing boat to get out of the water quicker.

You just figure, smaller will turn more quickly, but larger would move more water.

Trying to think of it in terms of a car tire. I went bigger tires on my Blazer and now my speedometer 65 miles an hour is actually closer to 70.
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Sorry, for pictures see Peter's post on "new toon need help". That's me with my latest.

Regards the troll motor, 5 speed should outlast the higher cost variable speed because electronics are fragile. The troll motor and battery are heavy so special balance is required for 'toons not already coming with a motor mount. It is possible to "turbo charge" your troll motor by using 2 smaller batteries and a smaller prop instead of the original prop. In "turbo" mode you would get up to 60# thrust with a 30# thrust motor, but only works with the 5 speed.

Hope this helps.

Pon[/quote]
[#0000bf]I have a few friends that got the variable speed Minnkota's when they came out 3 (I think) years ago. They have the digital PWM technology (MinnKota's digital maximizer name) and haven't had a problem one and they both fish more than just about all of us put together.
I know that PWM (pulse width modulation) technology isn't as fragile as you think. We use it in 28,000 lb. to 36,000 lb forklifts- for lift, tilt etc. controls. This has been going on for over 7 years now. In that case it's electric over hydraulics, where as these little trolling motors are just using it (PWM/digital maximizer) as voltage/speed controls. Things change so fast and get better every 6 to 18 months. I'm sure it's possible there are a few that bite the dust, but today's technology kicks arse ("digital maximizing") over the 5 speed (antiquated) motors. FG has a variable speed 34 lb. thruse going on year 2, and it barely makes a dent in the voltage of the battery after a day of use.
Now, for your other statement- using 2 smaller batteries and a smaller prop, you can "turbo" you motor.
That you're going to have to explain real slow to me, because it just doesn't make sense (to me)
[/#0000bf].

[#000050]And by the way, let's see some real pictures of your stuff. After all, talk is cheap.[/#000050]
[signature]
Look under portacruise posts on the last page

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-de...69-19.html

Hope this helps. If not, forgive me for bringing the topic up. Nothing to gain by offending anyone.

Pon

[quote mojorizing][quote pontoonman]Sorry, for pictures see Peter's post on "new toon need help". That's me with my latest.

Hope this helps.

Pon[/quote]
[#0000bf]I have a few friends that got the variable speed Minnkota's when they came out 3 (I think) years ago. They have the digital PWM technology (MinnKota's digital maximizer name) and haven't had a problem one and they both fish more than just about all of us put together.
I know that PWM (pulse width modulation) technology isn't as fragile as you think. We use it in 28,000 lb. to 36,000 lb forklifts- for lift, tilt etc. controls. This has been going on for over 7 years now. In that case it's electric over hydraulics, where as these little trolling motors are just using it (PWM/digital maximizer) as voltage/speed controls. Things change so fast and get better every 6 to 18 months. I'm sure it's possible there are a few that bite the dust, but today's technology kicks arse ("digital maximizing") over the 5 speed (antiquated) motors. FG has a variable speed 34 lb. thruse going on year 2, and it barely makes a dent in the voltage of the battery after a day of use.
Now, for your other statement- using 2 smaller batteries and a smaller prop, you can "turbo" you motor.
That you're going to have to explain real slow to me, because it just doesn't make sense (to me)
[/#0000bf].

[#000050]And by the way, let's see some real pictures of your stuff. After all, talk is cheap.[/#000050][/quote]
[signature]
[#0000ff]No one's offended. Your portacruise post is saying that you run the batteries in series? Am I right in assuming this? So you run 24v. And the motor's standing up to it.

Why two batteries for 24v. You say 'turbo' speed. That's a lot of weight. Even with two smaller batteries. Is it just an experiment?
But I'd like to know what is your reasoning behind it (it's all curiosity). I have a MinnKota 5 speed that I use once in a while, I'm not really in a hurry to go from point a to point b. If I want to get there fast, I use my oars. Very little effort and a little exercise to boot. Don't get me wrong, I think it's kind of a cool idea, although some here might think I'm trying to get in your face. I just want to know what the advantages are. Your fishing style or the target fish, or just an inventors brainchild.[/#0000ff]

[signature]
[quote mojorizing][#0000ff]No one's offended. Your portacruise post is saying that you run the batteries in series? Use a DPDT switch wired to run in series or parallel. Am I right in assuming this? So you run 24v. Select 12V at double marked capacity in parallel or 24V in series at marked capacity on the gels. And the motor's standing up to it. Yes, but only because a smaller prop which taxes the motor less while spinning faster and producing more thrust is used. If the original prop is used, motor would burn up.

Why two batteries for 24v. Menu of options increases to meet the situation. Go at 2 mph in parallel for 6 hours at 12v or 4mph at 24v for 2.5 hrs for example. All from a motor rated at say 2mph max for a pontoon. If one battery goes down, no 24v available, but you have a limp home mode at 12v from the other one. Bottom of line 12v trolls cost MUCH less but are tricked into perfomance of premium 24v motors. If you find a special deal on non-standard voltage batteries (like say 14v drill batteries) , you can run any voltage from 9 to 28v.You say 'turbo' speed. That's a lot of weight. Two half capacity gel cells weigh only slightly more than the equivalent capacity 12v, yet give same capacity and advantages above. Also, I run on much smaller scale with a tiny troll motor for a pontoon, 6# total weight. Heres an example motor from design forums that weighs about half a pound and can produce close to 1 hp at maximum [/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/31941d1242956976-pedal-boat-design-turnigy_motor.wmv"]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...nigy_motor.wmv[/url][#0000ff] Even with two smaller batteries. Is it just an experiment? No, ran a minn kota 12v 95W for about 10 years in twice weekly use like this- several years back-still have the 95W with no damage apparent upon disassembly and inspection.
But I'd like to know what is your reasoning behind it (it's all curiosity). I have a MinnKota 5 speed that I use once in a while, I'm not really in a hurry to go from point a to point b.Neither am I under normal conditions in a pontoon so I select the 12v speed with the most efficient prop at 1.5mph trolling speed. But sometimes in river fishing when you are fishing in front or behind rapids, you need more power to hover or get out of the way of kayakers, etc. Same for lake with winds and jet skis. If I want to get there fast, I use my oars. Very little effort and a little exercise to boot. You look younger and stronger,no offense, but no way you can keep up the effort for hours with even one of my smallest motors. Rowing small pontoons slowly for short distance positioning is OK, but extremenly inefficient, tiring and slow compared to a canoe or kayak. Float tubes and pontoons are just not designed for long distance or fast travel, like kayaks or canoes, IMHO .'t get me wrong, I think it's kind of a cool idea, although some here might think I'm trying to get in your face. I just want to know what the advantages are. Your fishing style or the target fish, or just an inventors brainchild I mostly like trolling, seeing the scenery change and covering miles of ground to zero in on pockets of fish in rivers where can't use sonar and sometimes lakes. Theres rainbow, whites, blacks, stripers, cats and perch and a few others in rivers nearby..[/#0000ff]
[/quote
[signature]
Not to get in the middle here, cause basically I have no idea what you two are saying[laugh]
but, Pontoonman you said:

I mostly like trolling, seeing the scenery change and covering miles of ground to zero in on pockets of fish in rivers where can't use sonar and sometimes lakes. Theres rainbow, whites, blacks, stripers, cats and perch and a few others in rivers nearby.

Doesn't everyone? I mean, isn't that the NORMAL idea.
I know I do, that is why I put a motor on a rowable pontoon...oh yeah, plus flippers[Wink]
[signature]
So trolling is where it's at for you. You're using your motor all the time. Makes sense. I seldom troll- mostly it's a cast and strip or deep nymphing. Fast moving water, give me a Yamaha 5 horse for my boat.
[signature]