Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home made catfish bait
would like any info. on makeing my own catfish bait, fish Utah lake a lot, but always use the reg bait, carp, nite crawlers, shrimp, cut bait. anybody got anything thaat works better, be glad to hear from you.[email]jsteinhorst@msn.com
[signature]
There are lots of catfish sites on the web. Just open Google.com and search for "catfish bait". Here is one of the better catfish bait sites, [url "http://www.lake-online.com/fishinhole/catfish.html"]http://www.lake-online.com/fishinhole/catfish.html[/url]
[signature]
I don't know if chumming is legal in utah but in kansas we used soy beans. Just fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of beans then fill with water, cover, let set in sun 2 weeks, will draw any catfish in the area to you. We always used them in a boat on a lake close to where i lived, Perry lake and the spot on the lake was called the hog trough. You could go there on the weekends and there would be up to 30 boats anchored and everybody would be catching catfish. Never used it from the bank but don't see why it wouldn't work. Once the fish are there anything will catch them. I always liked using chicken liver, you can even put soy beans on your hook.
[signature]
Forget my reply i read the rules and found chumming to be prohibited in Utah.
[signature]
Thanks for the link to the catfish website. There is some real nasty sounding stuff, but interesting.
[signature]
Sawdustbob,
Try "Catfish Charlies" Blood bait"B", It works very good. I've tried most of the others on the market and it works better than all the others put together. The only place in town I know to get it is at: Verlo ottley's bait shop at 4300 south 2200 west, 968-5483. For bigger ones try at night, the baits you listed should work just fine if you are in a good spot and don't have anything on your hands that will repell them like insect repellant or gas etc. Try it and I'm sure you will like the results. Good luck!
[signature]
Can [size 1]"Catfish Charlies" Blood bait"B" be fished on a single hook or does it require a treble hook?[/size]
[signature]
Kent,
I use a treble hook with or without the spring. A single hook would probably work if you tied it like an egg sac with the mesh and poke the hook point outward.
[signature]
when i was living in texas we used to make bait out of bacon grease and flour mabe into dough balls though i think those little bullheads would still give you problems

chris
[signature]
I just went by Verlo Ottley's (wish I would have been smart enough to call first -- but that is another story) and he no longer carries [size 1]"Catfish Charlies" Blood bait"B". He said they increased the price and also the shipping rates, and between the two it got too expensive to carry any longer.[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
That bites, I just talked to him and he said he would have to raise the price to $5.00 and that only a few guys were buying it. He was buying it direct from catfish charlie. I found a wholesale bait distributor that sells it for $25.80 for 12-14 oz containers, shipping is $8.00, thats $2.81 per container. Heres the web address: http://www.wholesalebait.com/catalog.php?cat_id=13

I will contact catfish charlie and see what kind of deals he has? They were selling 64 oz tubs for $10.00, Heres Catfish Charlies address: 3015 lincoln ave., Oskaloosa, Iowa, 52577, phone #641-673-7229, I couldn't find a web address.

I suspect buying it direct from Catfish Charlies will cost more. I have tried buying direct from companies before and if your not a distributor they charge alot more. Slabs On!
[signature]