Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pimpin out my toon
Well here is the 70% finished pimp for my toon. I have a rack with rod rack built in and added a motor mount to it. When completed It will have tubes for the rods and will be tied down with straps to the two bladders. I am still trying to see how high of a railing I want to build. You can see in one of the pictures that it is partially finished. The rack can hold up to 6 rods. After this is complete then I will work on a tool rack for the lip grippers, Pliers, and a folding net that I found made by Frabil.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Pretty creative way to overcome the lack of a frame on that old Leigh toon. Looks like it might just work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No wonder the Home Depot stores in our area are all out of PVC.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Pretty creative way to overcome the lack of a frame on that old Leigh toon. Looks like it might just work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No wonder the Home Depot stores in our area are all out of PVC.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Hey someone had to buy it. Thanks, i can't wait to get it finished and out on the water.
[signature]
Hey TD and Al, you are gifted craftsmen with that PVC. Thanks for sharing!

Pon
[signature]
No problem, now I am working on the rod holders. I am thinking about 1 foot long to fit rods and reels.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]12" tubes might be longer than you need. Measure against your rod handles. But, better to start a bit long and be able to cut back than to have them too short and have to kill some more PVC. Also better to avoid gluing or screwing until you are sure you have the right fit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I love to watch evolution. Charles Darwin could only pose a theory because his kind took too long to watch happening.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
well done. I cant wait to see the hole thing.
Good job my friend.
Are goint to "custom" paint it or just white ?

Peter
[signature]
i will paint it. I have some rustoleum in hammered black I can try.
[signature]
So far I have gone with 12" tubes for the spinning rods and 8" tubes for the baitcasting rods. The rod tubes will be removable so I am not planning on gluing them in place. I have also made the railing removable for now as well. Also need to fix one part on rack that did not glue right and is loose. I will place a T in its place and make a wheel bracket for future land transport mode and this will fix the weak spot.
[signature]
It is finished. All I need to do is give it a paint job. The railing and rod tubes are removable for storage and also to make it more convenient and adaptable. Also added a flag holder for a small orange flag for when I am on water with the power squadron so I don't get hit. Next on the list is to make a wheeled trolley for land movements, a tool rack, and figure out how to make foot rests. Yes, my toon didn't come with anything. All extras you had to pay for separately at the time.
[signature]
Stupid question, but will that PVC rack be connected to the frame or the pontoons at any point? I don't see any in the picture.
[signature]
Yes I have 4 straps for the ends to attach to the pontoons and then I will attach two more to the back of the frame where the seat is. This will give a total of 6 points of attachment to keep it tight and usable.
[signature]
VERY VERY nice !!! Great job there young man.
Me like a lot.
What color are you going to paint it?

Peter
[signature]

[quote peter805]VERY VERY nice !!! Great job there young man.
Me like a lot.
What color are you going to paint it?

Peter[/quote]

Black with hammered finish.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looking good. The only question you will need to answer for yourself is whether or not you have enough room to operate the trolling motor. From recent experience with Wildcat94's toon, we found that it takes some "swingin' room" to make big turns...and the rod racks appear to have the potential for shortening the turn radius.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Get it on the water and put it through the paces. That is the only way you will know how well theory holds up against reality.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Planning on doing that. I know with the motor the two tubes behind the seat won't be used. I will try it out next week when I am home from work. Probably tuesday. Friday is the day I will be spending at Cabelas.[cool]
[signature]
So, he is moving the motor? I take it he doesn't wear flippers.

Albino, you don't have to turn the motor. Flippers will turn you on a dime.
the speed control is all I touch.
For years my motor looked like this

[Image: Motor001.jpg]

This is a Minn Kota 30 by the way. I can put the speed box any where on my pontoon.

On a stock motor, you should consider loosening the head and turn the lower part to where the prop is facing the same direction as the head.
This will give you full forward power (although you will be going backwards), but still have reverse to push you to shore or whatever.
It takes less power to pull than push.
[signature]
Thanks! When I get the motor I will go and play and see how it works to get the hang of things.
[signature]
"So, he is moving the motor? I take it he doesn't wear flippers."

[cool][#0000ff]One thing at a time. Just barely got him tieing his own knots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just about have him convinced that he would be better using fins to maintain position and to make minor moves. Right now he motors up to a spot and heaves over the anchor. No fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't pick on him. Everybody starts somewhere and nobody knows everything. Well, maybe some folks think they do. But not me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If you plan on wearing fins (highly recommended) and you turn your motorhead 180ยบ you'll pull yourself instead of push, but I think you know that already (and FG mentioned it). You don't have to touch your motor except for off and speed and direction changes. Like Joni said, wearing fins you can turn on a dime and there will be times when you stop fish a while in one spot, and you want to move a little you can kick and save on battery life. Wearing fins will also make it track a lot better. Just some of the learning curve is shortened this way.
And TD, no one is picking on anyone. Just chill.
Read my previous sentence about shortening the leaning curve. I think he's a big boy and can figure out more than your're giving him credit for.
[signature]