Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willow Lake Tiger Trout
[#000000][size 1]Although an old hand at jigging for perch out of the boat, I just had to post my 4 year old's first trout. We camped at Willow Lake, near Ferron Res., for the last three days. The tiger trout were going wild. Sam was standing next to me, casting as far as he could, about 15 feet, when he shouted "I got a bite!", sure enough, his bobber was gone and the fight was on! He proceeded to reel in and land the fiesty bugger all by himself. I thought it was luck, but in the next 30 minutes he caught two more completely on his own. It was a proud moment for this dad.

[/size][/#000000]

[Image: site1035.JPG]

Before we broke camp on Tuesday, there was 4" of snow on the ground!
So where is this Willow lake? It looks like a great place to take a kid fishing.

tightline
[signature]
I have never caught a tiger trout. do you use traditional trout baits? would love to know where this willow lake is
[signature]
Great report, looks like a great sportsman in the training.

I to am currious where and how to get to this lake. Also, how big are the tent camping sites?
[signature]
Willow Lake is about 3 miles east of Ferron Reservoir. From the west side of the Wasatch get on Skyline drive from Manti or Mayfield and follow the signs to Ferron Res. It about 25 miles of decent dirt road. From the east side of the Wasatch, head straight west out of Ferron for about 20 miles. The lake is only about 10 acres, but has been a consistent place to catch tiger trout for years. Two years ago, my wife caught an 18" tiger out of Willow. If we would have done the proper documentation, it would have been a state C&R record. If you want your name in the record book, it would be fairly easy to beat the existing 17 1/2" record that is listed in the proclamation.
Looks great, I'll have to try it. Glad to see you take your kid along. It will make for great memories in years to come. Not to mention the lasting friendship with your kids other than being just the dad.
[signature]
There is a camp ground, with hosts believe it or not, on the east side of the lake. I don't really know what it is like because we set-up primitive on the west side by the outlet.

We have the most consistent luck using tiny hammered, silver spoons. Live grasshoppers work well when they are available, but we have had poor success using any type of fly. A two-way spinner tipped with worm also works, that is what my kid was using.
that pic is worth a million bucks!

awesome!

[Smile]

sm
[signature]
What a great picture, cute kid, and those fish are sure colorful!
[signature]
Great pic and cute kid! Now that is what fishing with the kids is all about. Glad ya had a good time.
[signature]
Nice little tiger! Man I just love the color and patterning on those fish.They've got to be the prettyest trout next to a brookie.
[signature]
Nice Pic and Tiger !!!!!!!! WHy can't I get good pics like that . LOL
[signature]
It was great to see that someone out there has been to Willow Lake and Ferron Reservoir. In fact, I have been going there ever since I was born. My grandmother's side of the family was the ones that built those old cabins at Ferron Reservoir. There also use to be an old saw mill that isn't there anymore. That and Willow Lake are my most favorite spots to fish. Me, my brother , and my wife are probably going to go there this weekend. Hopefully we'll have as good of luck as you had!
[signature]