Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Checkpoint
I sent Tom Pettengill the following message:

“Hi Tom. It appears that the UDWR is monitoring Strawberry much more closely this year than in recent years. For this I am most grateful. Any idea how you were able to find the resources to do this? Also, does the UDWR end up with the fines imposed for wildlife violations or do they go into the state funds? Also, is there a set amount that is assessed for each various violation, or is it totally up to the discretion of the judge?

As always thank you.

Kent”

Here is the response from one of Tom’s fellow UDWR state employees:

“Hi Kent,

As a result of complaints in past years and the new regulations at Strawberry we have shifted personnel from other areas. Last weekend, we had an administrative checkpoint which required most the officers from the central region of the state. Which meant there were no officers in Salt Lake, Tooele, Utah, Juab or Wasatch counties other than what was at the check point. One officer was left behind to cover emergencies. Our budgets continue to get reduced. The officer we had in Heber transferred to another district and we were not able to fill in behind her, in the past we relied heavily on that officer assisting at Strawberry. The region cooked the food for the officers at the roadblock to minimize expenses so the overall operation did not cost much in additional money, other than leaving a good part of the state without an officer. As far as the fine money goes it is a little more complicated. There is a uniform bail schedule, however, a judge may assess what ever they feel is justified once they have heard the facts of the case. A portion of the fine money does go back to the division, however, it does not come back specifically for law enforcement it goes in the wildlife resources restricted account. Courts take out a percentage, then there is a victim restitution assessment (we do not see that money) and then some justice courts send the division the balance and others don't. The Division has chose not to push this issue since many counties provide dispatch services and a county attorneys to prosecute our cases. I hope I answered your questions.”

In response to asking for more details I received the following:

“On June 22nd officers from the CRO conducted a compliance checkpoint at Strawberry Reservoir. Fishing had improved from two weeks prior. Anglers reported catching many fish over the weekend. Compliance with the slot limit regulation was poor. Anglers either claimed to be not aware of the regulation or were unable to distinguish between a rainbow and a cutthroat trout. Some of the fish seized by officers exibited markings that appeared to be a hybrid cross. Citations were issued for the following violations:

Unlawful taking of protected wildlife- over/under legal size limit. 36

Fishing without a valid license. 7

Unlawful method of fishing- more than one pole. 1

Open container of alcohol in a vehicle. 6

Possession of drug paraphernalia. 2

Unlawful possession of a controlled substance. 2

Expired boat registration. 2

Total 56

48 illegal fish were siezed during the day's operation.”
[signature]
I too am glad that they opened the checkpoint and from what you are reporting back it is a very Sad that people are not educated enough to read a proclomation. I always have a proc in my vehicle and boat just in case. If I ever have a question on what is legal I put the fish back or do not take the game, I will always have a second chance to catch it again.

My stop at the check point was very easy and painless, just a bit of a line to get to it. Since both my wife and I fish we had our licences (DUH) and they searched my empty coolers and we had a good chat, the DWR officer looked in my lock box and storage on my boat and then he wanted to know how the fishing was.

It pisses me off that people keep when not in question. The game is here for all not one and like me, I do not like to eat fish, so most of mine go back.
[signature]
It's nice to see the DWR out enforcing the new regs, but it's truly unfortunate that their resources are stretched so thin. I just wish people would buck up and obey the rules. Take a picture of the fish and let him swim away.
[signature]
Heck sounds like a great day for helping our wildlife. I wish they'd do more of these and maybe people would get the point that they are very serious about the regulations.

They sure do need to do a check point down at Kolob. I'm sure they could round up just as many tickets.

Either way good job DWR.

Just a little side note. The cheapest ticket I seen on that list is 70$. Fishing without a license is the most expensive unless you really piss the judge off. In most cases it's just like a traffic ticket you just go in and pay a pre-set amount.
[signature]
Good report Kent. I personally don't care to see the check points, but I do know they are very necessary to keep things under control. For as many as went thru the check point, thats not too many tickets. Glad to see it's not any worse than that. Al
[signature]
Nice to see conservation agents not sitting in a coffee shop and out making a impact. Hopefully it will show to the populous that they are taking things seriously at strawberry
[signature]
Is there a place online that one can read the uniform bail schedule for wildlife violations? I have seen in some states that they put on their highway signs how much the fine is for various traffic violations. I have seen an occasional $299 fine for littering sign in Utah, but nothing else. Perhaps they could post a few signs, or at least put them in the proclamation (which would be another item that is not read), the uniform bail schedule for various wildlife violations. Some folks may not violate the laws if they were made aware of the impact to their wallets if they are caught.
[signature]
thats a great idea ken!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
Call the local court house they have a list of all the different violations and fine amounts. Maybe just pick up a copy and post it for all of us.
[signature]
There is one more point to consider here. People get away with stuff because we don't turn them in. Its the bums out there breaking the law that ruin fishing for us. It doesn't matter whether its because of tresspassing, littering, over-limits, chumming, or whatever, our privelages get taken away along with those of the knuckle-heads who do that stuff. We suffer the same. When a land owner gets tired of the hassles of being nice, he shuts down access to everyone. When you see a violation, report it. If you don't, YOU will be the one to pay.

I know this goes against the school house rules of not being a snitch but the DWR needs help. It is Sad but true that a lot of people these days need to be compelled to stay in line. It's when people know that they won't get caught that they do stuff. Put a little fear in them and turn them in! Just my $.02

m
[signature]
Been there done that. It would be funny if people were more worried about getting busted by the guy fishing next to them instead of the Fish cop. Paranoid people would just die or quit fishing.
[signature]
I might add that you have nothing to worry about if you are not breaking the law. No need to be paranoid unless you should be paranoid because of what you are up to. The fish cops are generally good guys. They would rather not write tickets. That's my experience.
[signature]
That was my experience also and has been in the past. I have no problems following the rules and snitching on the folks who do not, the only problem is when I am fishing I usually do not pay to much attention to the people around me...
[signature]
You saying that you don't notice the guy on the shore fishin with two poles? or bringing in fish and keeping fish that their not suppose to? I think everybody looks at the other fishermen a little! We just got to get some guts and start saying something to these no good for nothin cheatin fishermen!!! cause more than likely the dwr are not going to catch them!
[signature]
I take it you've never said something to let them know that they are doing something illegal. I've done it so many times it makes me sick. You'll get one of two responses. Oh I didn't know and they take off like a bat out of hell. Or they play stupid and keep on doing what they were before you talked to them. Most of the time they know exactly what they are trying to get away with and don't care. Unless you are a fish cop. If it really mattered that much to you it would be a priority every trip. I try and not pay attention as much lately it gets to you after a while especially when nothing changes. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth.

My advise is to take down their info (check the DWR's site on reporting) maybe take a picture or video with what they are doing and when you get a chance report it. The worst the could happen it they get busted or a get a call from a cop and that will really get them paranoid about doing it again. Especially if the cop messes with their heads a little. Either way that more then you should of done in the first place.
[signature]
i agree, take down their info, take a pic, and report 'em, but be careful about confronting somebody . . its not worth getting in a fight or worse . .

sm
[signature]
That's why I have a gun close by. In the car or on my hip. It makes the toughest jackass, meak.

I guess this means we'll be hearing about somebody getting turned in during the next week or two. Right!!!
[signature]