Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to add oars to a float tube?
i have seen some really neat float tubes in japanese website that has oars on them.
i tried to check if those listed here as recommended float tubes had them but found none to carry oars.
is there a simple, cheap and good way to install them on an Fish Cat, Fat Cat or H3?

any help will be most appreciated.

ps: sorry, i am not too familiar with how this forum is organised yet so if i had done anything against the rules here, please kindly advice me.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to our forum. No need to be apologetic. Your post and your questions are fine. There are several new "hybrid" pontubes on the market, with oars, but I am not sure we can advise you on a good way to add oars to the craft you mentioned.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The H3 has a long enough front extension that you might be able to fashion a frame for attaching the oars. But, neither the Fat Cats nor the Fish Cats have enough room on top to set up an effective rowing system. At least that is my opinion. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished from a Fat Cat for several years and have looked seriously at being able to install oars. My personal conclusion is that it would be POSSIBLE to add oars, but they would have to be very small and would be difficult to operate in the confined space of the float tube. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]However, if you could fashion a framework that fit across the top of your tube, and extended at least a foot or so beyond the outside on each side, you might be able to get enough room to operate the oars.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The Dave Scadden line of pontoons and float tubes probably have the best examples of well designed small craft that will accomodate either or both oars or electric motors. You may wish to check their website at [url "http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/"]http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At least you can look at the designs and perhaps get some ideas on what you would have to do in order to get oars on your float tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
To be able to put OARS on, you need first OAR HOLDERS, which need to be solid, secondly a foot rest
This requires a FRAME of some sort, or pre-manufactured.
Here is another choice:

http://www.supercat.us/site/412251/page/118491

Now a paddle is a different story.
[signature]
this is the reason why i asked... it looks great, isn't it?
i was thinking of fashioning a strap by the side of the tubes to hold the oar holder... is it possible with the fat cats or h3?[inline zephyr1.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the picture. It is very interesting and shows that it can be done. It looks like a simple stabilizer bar arrangement.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had an H3 as well as my Fat Cats. Both have a D ring on the top front of the air chambers, on either side, that would be strategically placed to help fasten something like that in place. The attached picture shows the one on the H3.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The one diSadvantage of having oars on a float tube is the lack of a foot rest, to help provide leverage for rowing. But, the positive side of that is that you can use both oar power and fin power at the same time if you are in a hurry. Of course, that will take both coordination and stamina.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You know, I might just try to fashion something like that for my tube. Thanks for the idea.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i don't think it is the bar... this pic will give you a clearer picture...

[inline zephyr2.jpg]
[inline zephyr3.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, it is easier to see now that the oar attachment is on the outside of the air chamber. I also got a better look by going to the ZephyrBoat website at [url "http://www.zephyrboat.jp/boat/index.html"]http://www.zephyrboat.jp/boat/index.html[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like some of the other hybrid pontubes on the market, these craft were apparently designed to provide rowing capability. To add a similar system to a float tube not originally designed for it would require some engineering.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I considered a kayak paddle with my U-boat. But now that I'm committed to the ODC 420 with a rod holder on the side ...
[signature]
If I want oars , then I would just get a toon and be done
with it.

Peter
[signature]
Now that is cool as heck. That is the same OAR set-up that was on the Navigator II by North Fork Outdoors. But, they have been discontinued.
My Navigator was the first generation and had a plate sewn in the cover in which you attach a pipe for the oars
And of course it was 9' long so it had two low "D" rings to attach a bar for your feet.
I am betting that strap at the front of the tube is for your feet.

I think it is a killer idea and thank you for turning me on to that.
It is a FRAMELESS tube with rowing capability as well as kicking. I know I have got caught in storms in my tube that I would have killed to have oars.
I bought a PONTOON, because there wasn't anything, or so I thought.

I would say as far as fabricating one, the Oar holders on my Navi would be home madeable, but this has some fancy hardware and I am wondering if the ring around it is important. Good looking seat also and functional apron.
[signature]
It is a FRAMELESS tube with rowing capability as well as kicking. I know I have got caught in storms in my tube that I would have killed to have oars.

Are oars really that much better then fins ? Is it easyer
to use oars then fins in wind? I have never used oars, so
I dont know.Please tell.

Peter
[signature]
I wouldn't say INSTEAD but with. Your legs get tired and you row, but yes rowing is much faster than kicking and much easier.
[signature]
If unable to mount the oars I believe I saw it at Walmart a small orange paddle that was extendable. This might be an option.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Yes, it is easier to see now that the oar attachment is on the outside of the air chamber. I also got a better look by going to the ZephyrBoat website at [url "http://www.zephyrboat.jp/boat/index.html"]http://www.zephyrboat.jp/boat/index.html[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like some of the other hybrid pontubes on the market, these craft were apparently designed to provide rowing capability. To add a similar system to a float tube not originally designed for it would require some engineering.[/#0000ff][/quote]
Hi TD, thanks for finding the official website. I had been trying to google for it with no success! lol...
I had always thought that adding oars are as easy as adding a strap-on around the tubes on the side and then tie it to the oars. lol... I am a real noob at this...
If I can do an easy attachment, I will just go with the cheaper option: fish cat and then add the oars. else, i will need to consider that zephyr baby... which will cost about 45,000JPY (approx USD450) excl. shipping.
Tough decision...
[signature]
[quote revrusty]I considered a kayak paddle with my U-boat. But now that I'm committed to the ODC 420 with a rod holder on the side ...[/quote]wooo... care to share some pictures of your oar attachment?
[signature]
[quote peter805]If I want oars , then I would just get a toon and be done
with it.

Peter[/quote]i would love to have a toon if not for a few reasons:
1. price
2. size
3. there's really **limited waters in singapore that allows me to put a toon in it

**in singapore, we only have less than 10 stretches of fishing ground at our reservoirs, each not exceeding 50m in length. and these spots are all over-fished.
as we do not have a licensing system in place yet, fishing anywhere else in the reservoirs is considered illegal and liable for booking and a fine.
there are spots within the reservoirs that are away from the eyes of the law but requires lots of trekking and bashing through some heavy undergrowth. hence, my choice of getting a tube. but at the same time, i do hope to cover more waters, hence, the oars.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Now that is cool as heck. That is the same OAR set-up that was on the Navigator II by North Fork Outdoors. But, they have been discontinued.
My Navigator was the first generation and had a plate sewn in the cover in which you attach a pipe for the oars
And of course it was 9' long so it had two low "D" rings to attach a bar for your feet.
I am betting that strap at the front of the tube is for your feet.

I think it is a killer idea and thank you for turning me on to that.

I would say as far as fabricating one, the Oar holders on my Navi would be home madeable, but this has some fancy hardware and I am wondering if the ring around it is important. Good looking seat also and functional apron.[/quote]Thanks FG. And great note on the strap... I wouldn't have noticed it with my novice eyes if not for you.
The float tube looked cool as hell to me excellent for my covert operations at our local reservoirs. hahaha...
Anyways, I am now joining up with a team of guys to legalise and free up more fishing grounds in Singapore. Sure hope to see it happen real soon!
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]If unable to mount the oars I believe I saw it at Walmart a small orange paddle that was extendable. This might be an option.[/quote]i guess that will be an option but i would prefer something more sturdy and easy to tuck away. so some sort of tricking will be required to achieve that... or i can just go with the zephyrboat.
btw, i think the zephyrboats are probably not suitable for you guys since japanese, like most asians are smaller in size. and i am thinking fat cat and SFC will be too spacious for me. lol...
[signature]
Right on Alan, keep up the good fight.

Here is the simple oar system on my Navigator:
This is a curved aluminum plate with a post of solid aluminum about 1" diameter and 2" long. Sewn under a heavy piece of PVC coated cloth

[Image: IMG_1721450-1.jpg]

In this picture you see the Aluminum tubes (about 6" long for clearance) mounted on the post with a clip. At the top is removeable oar holder that clamps to the oar itself. Easy set up.

[Image: NavigatorII004450-1.jpg]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Right on Alan, keep up the good fight.

Here is the simple oar system on my Navigator:
This is a curved aluminum plate with a post of solid aluminum about 1" diameter and 2" long. Sewn under a heavy piece of PVC coated cloth

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Navigator%20II/IMG_1721450-1.jpg[/IMG]"]http://i44.photobucket.com/..._1721450-1.jpg[/IMG][/url]

In this picture you see the Aluminum tubes (about 6" long for clearance) mounted on the post with a clip. At the top is removeable oar holder that clamps to the oar itself. Easy set up.

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/...1.jpg[/IMG][/quote]"]http://i44.photobucket.com/...1.jpg[/IMG][/url][/quote]
thanks FG for the pics... the Navigator II looks great. can the whole craft be packed into a carry bag? looks like a pretty big craft from your pics...
[signature]