Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton/Mantua 07/12
Started off the morning a bit late at Newton, on the water at 9:00. I knew that place was getting a lot of press lately but holy cow, must have been 20 boats on the water. We were looking for perch but in about 4 hours of looking, my son landed one crappie and I missed 2 bites[frown]. Most everyone else seemed to be trrolling. We tried for half hour or so with no luck. Stopped to do a little trap shooting by the dam and after a quick trip back to Brigham to pick up my daughter we hit Mantua. Water was a little rough but the 3 of us managed to catch at least 100 blue gills and 3 perch. Kept 30 or so for dinner tomorrow and was off the water about 2-1/2 hours later. Really glad we switched lakes. Water at Newton is dang high, kinda threw my normal perch haunts off.
[signature]
Sounds amazing! What were you using, and is there a good place to get them bluegill from shore?
[signature]
Nice fishing, any worms in your bluegill meat???
[signature]
Not sure if you could get 'em from shore or not, been too long since I tried. We just use a jig head and some form of bait, )they aren't picky) I've never experienced worms in fish from Mantua, do you see it often? I eat a couple hundred fish a year from there and don't recall any with worms. Strangest thing I ever saw was what appeared to be a tumor right in the thick of the meat in a Bluegill caught from Hyrum. It went promptly in the garden
[signature]
So how do you catch the blue gills?

Jay
[signature]
Just got done cleaning another batch for tomorrow nights dinner[sly]
We catch them on small jigs tipped with different baits. It seems a combination of colors works the best i.e. red jig, green bait; green jig, salmon egg. My son also caught a rainbow tonight, about 16 inches. They were sure surfacing actively tonight. He went straight back for someone that prefers slime rockets for dinner[Wink]
[signature]