Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catfishing utah lake tonight
Hey I am going to hit utah lake tonight around ten oclock to do some night catfishing. anybody have some tips for me on how to do it. i have never night fished for cats before.
jed
[signature]
Haven't fished for them since I lived in Kansas ( about 20 years ago ), but I would leave the bail open so they don't run away with your rod . Good luck
[signature]
Jed,
If you use the open bail method, lay the pole on the ground and loop your line around an empty pop can, when the can falls over feed about 10 feet of line, cock your bail and just as your line gets tight and set the hook hard. Use this method if they are hitting very hard and letting go, sometimes if they feel tension they will let go, thats when you feed them line to let them get it in their mouths. The other way is to prop your pole up at about a 45 degree angle, rock down the butt of your pole so it dosen't fly out into the lake and be ready to grab it. You can hang a red and white bobber on the slack line and when it slams the pole this is your alarm. You can also use a loose drag as an alarm, just tighten it and set the hook hard when it starts going out. Some people like to use bells on thier poles as an alarm. Make sure to have a lantern near your poles so you can see them and have someone with a net ready. Fish the shallow flats as they come in to feed there after dark. Good Luck and have fun!
[signature]
If you fish near a rocky shoreline, I would resist the temptation to cast out from shore. I would first try fishing right next to shore in the rocks. Also, they can be caught in surprisingly shallow water, especially at night. Be sure to bring the mosquito repellent (won't help you catch fish, but may bring you back alive!). If you have a bell that can be attached to your rod that can be extremely helpful to know when you have a bite. You can also wrap a loop of line loosely around a pop can so that it will tip over to alert you to a bite. Leaving your bail open, as recommended, will help you keep from losing your rod, but will also help you catch more catfish by allowing them to run a ways with the bait. Good luck and let us know how you do. I am hoping to do an overnighter out at Bird Island one of these first evenings -- if I can ever get the marine shop to get my boat repaired and if I can find someone crazy enough to join me.
[signature]
well if you do go out there let me know and I would love to go out there. I don't have a boat and I think it wouold be a lot of fun
[signature]