Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpoint trips 6/24-25

Hey there guys,

I went out on the 3/4 day Pierpoint out of Pierpoint landing this Tuesday and Wednesday. Danny was running the boat both days with davis decking. Mike and Markie were the cooks on their respecive days.

The first day we went to the Horseshoe Kelp area for very good barracuda and Calico Bass action. The load was fairly light with about 25 people. Having huge anchovies, live lining these babies with no weight was the ticket for limit fishing. The sealions were not too troublesome. Unlike the either or feeding habits of barracuda the last few days, the barries bit on both live bait and the lron. Jig colors didn't seem to be as important as having a surface model with lots of action. I caught 3 Calicos that were nice 3 or 4 pounders among my limit.

None of the fish seemed to line shy as jig fish were being caught on 25lb test. We may have moved less than 5 times during the day and got back to the dock about 4pm.

Today, the Pierpoint went to Catalina with about 35 anglers. Fishing was good on barracuda to 7 and 8 pounds as well as bass. Lots of Calico bass bit on both live lined anchovies, jigs and plastics. Everyone got at least half limits on both barries and bass. We didn't fish in close to the kelp but stayed out to hang the barries and hope for yellows. Got back to the dock around 6pm.

Danny is getting his new boat, the 'Premire', ready for July 3/4 day service.

I'll on the boat again next Tuesday and Wednesday too.

JapanRon
[signature]
Whats going on JapanRon ? Sounds like you had a good trip . I wanted to know how to get into saltwater fishing , I am a fresh water fisherman . I have been out about 3 times and have never had any luck other than mackeral . My uncle has a sword fishing boat and lives on Catalina . I have gone with him but never caught anything on my line . I live in the high desert and the closest place is Hunington . What , or where do you recomend to go to get on a half or 3/4 day boat? And what kind of tackle do you recomend to get started with ?

Thanks . Hope to hear from you.

kzilla
[signature]
[center][Image: winner.gif][/center][center][font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 1]week ending July 5th 2004[/size][/#ff0000][/font][/center]

there are plenty of landings lining our coast. somewhere close would be long beach sport fishing, 22nd street landing, peirpoint, marina del ray, L.A. Harbor sportfishing, and ummmm... oh ya those crappy boats like the city of long beach. dont worry about those. all of the landings above have very good half day boats. they fish locally. either the huntington flats, horseshoe kelp, or newport, and anything in between. they WILL put you on the fish.

Tackle: to tell you the truth, you could use a heavy freshwater rod and reel. that would work just fine. well, unless you hook up into something big. you should bring a rod rated for 15-30 pound line, between 7 and 9 feet long. I would use 20 pound test if you are just starting your saltwater addiction.and have a reel to match the rod. whether it be spinning or conventional, it really doesnt matter. I have seen people catch BIG white seabass and BIG yellowtail on spinning equipment. a suitable reel would be a newell 220 or 229, Daiwa SL20, ummmm..... I dont know any of the shakespeare reels or spinning reels. a penn 955 965 or a 975, a penn 500 would also work good. oh, and a penn spinfisher. those are great reels.

I prefer the longer rods. it helps me cast further. however, with a shorter rod, you have more leverage on a big fish. so you have to make that decision.

The half day ticket will cost you between 25-32 bucks, depending on which landing you go to. bait is included, but food is not!

I hope I answered your question. sorry for everything being mixed up. I just woke up and am still in the process of jumpstarting my brain.

joe
[signature]

Hi there Kzilla02,

Nice to hear from you again. I remember your past posts. Sounds to me like someone is not being very kind to you in the fishing department.

Tubinjoe gave you a lot of good info, abet opinionated, but on the whole on the money. You've got a long way to travel and I wouldn't want to see you get zapped. How about the following suggestions:

1) Fish a 3/4 day boat like the Victory, Pierpoint, or Freedom. (others good too)
2) When you call the landing find out specifically what was biting that day and do they plan on going the same place tomorrow. Sometimes the office knows, but usually not!
3) Shoot for Sand Bass, Calico, and Barrie fishing. Do you have a good med/heavy flippin or jiggin bass rod and 12 to 16lb test w/conventional/baitcasting outfit?
4) Go early and talk with the guys in line to see if you might need to rent a rod if you have no saltwater gear and to get YOUR spot on the corner.
5) Get plenty of terminal tackle at the office. It's cheap!!
6) Get a corner spot on the stern. (you may or may not rotate)
7) Most of all, TELL the deck you're new and may need some help!!! Most of the decks will be more than happy to help if it's not idiot crowded!

8) OH!! DID I MENTION THE MOST IMPORTANT THING? GO EARLY ON A TUE/WED/THUR trip so you'll experience a relatively light load. You'll get more attention from the deck too.

Good luck and awaiting your report.

JapanRon
[signature]
your right JP. my post was kind of opinionated. oh well. oh ya... the freedom is an overnight boat. they go out of 22nd street. our 3/4 and/or all day fishing boats are the Pursuit and the Sea Angler. to tell you the truth, I'd much rather go on the Pursuit than the Sea Angler. not just because that is the boat that i work on either.

joe
[signature]