Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Utah Boy on SF Bay
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just thought I'd share a few of the pictures of some of the fish we caught on my recent vacation to the San Francisco Bay Area. We fished primarily for halibut; California Halibut which is a smaller cousin of the barndoors in Alska but just as good table fare. We also caught a lot of stripers with a few shiners and sand sharks thrown into the mix. We had a great time and enjoy our family fishing trips.[/size][/font] [center][Image: sfb_0.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here's me and my boat, "The Boomerang" checking out the bay. You can see, to the left, the Richmond - San Rafeal Bridge in the background. We launched out of the Berkeley Marina every morning at about 5:50am so we could be to the bait barge at 6:00am to get bait. If we were lucky, we'd get ahead of the charters before they made bait. If you were tardy you may wait 1/2 an hour or more.[/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: sfb_1.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A typical salt water striper. Compared to inland water stripers, these boys are on steroids! We used live anchovies for bait on a drop shot rig during a free drift, bouncing the bottom. If the wind kicked up and the drift was too fast, which was normal in the afternoons, we throw out a drift sock or sea anchor to slow things down. If you look closely where the white boat is in the background you can see the skyline of San Francisco and the Bay Bridge.[/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: sfb_2.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]This is a pic of my father with one of the 'buts he caught. Even though it's the middle of June and inland temps were in the high 90's and 100's you still needed to dress warm out on the bay.[/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: sfb_3.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]This is my brother, Dave with a halibut he landed. Note the rain gear. The wind would rip in the afternoons causing good size waves. It was not uncommon to head for home in the afternoon with 25 knot winds and 4 foot waves. The spray was enough to drench you so rain gear was a must. [/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: sfb_4.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Another typical striper in the 4-5 pound range.[/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: sfb_5.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The largest striper of the trip. This fish was a tad over 13 pounds. He was caught in 17 feet of water near San Quentin Prison[/size][/font].[/center] [center][Image: sfb_7.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Another fine halibut in the 11 pound range. This fish was caught in 6 - 8 feet of water during slack tide.[/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: sfb_6.jpg][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A crisp, beautiful morning on the bay with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Alcatraz is a 1/2 mile to the south. [/size][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]On the last day we were out, I was heading for the Gate to fish Seal Rock on the Pacific side. My motor unexpected died right out in the middle of the bay and wouldn't start. Not to worry, I called Lee at Lee's Marina in Hyrum, UT and Lee spent a 1/2 hour on the cell with me trouble shooting til we got the motor running again. Thanks Lee for all your help![/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]As you can see, we had a great time being together with family chasing fish on the bay. If you ever get the chance to hit SF Bay, do it. You'll love it.[/size][/font][/left]
[signature]
nice post
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip. Glad you and the "Boomerang" made it back in one piece. I know you got the boat from the Pacific coast so it's been out on that water before, but for you, you broke it in it on the ocean fishin' gig this trip. Let's get the Boom' down to Willard or up to Bear Lake soon and wash the salt off, Hey.
[signature]
Nice report BLM, but I've got to ask the question, how do salt water stripers compare to wipers as far a fighting? What taste better the stripers or the halibut, I'm guessing halibut. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Those saltwater stripers fight just as hard and eat just as good as wiper but it's hard to beat halibut for fine dining. If you've never clean a halibut, it's kind of a nice surprise to be able to pull 4 fillets off one fish. Kind of like two for one![/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man BLM, you do know how to [#0000ff]live life large[/#0000ff]. Very nice of you to bring home those nice ocean pics to us inland Utah boys. Very interesting. I am curious, how do those smaller halibuts (I say smaller just because I'm use to see pics of big halibut from Alaska) fight compared to say a wiper or Bear Lake mack?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Glad you made the trip .... we all live it a little with your great pictures.[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM you look right at home on the ocean. You have got to quit going there however, it will definitely take away the fun of catching the boring fish that we have around our desert state (also we don't have too many large bay bridges in the background to add to the scenery).
[signature]
[cool]Great report and pics. Brung back some good memories of my days in that area. Nice boat. Just right for bay runnin'.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had your druthers, you would still be on the water instead of back to the old grind.
[signature]
Great pics and nice report. I've only been out fishing in the ocean a few times. All but one time, we got skunked. Of course, we weren't able to go out during the early morning like you.

Man am I jealous!

ES
[signature]
Great post BLM. I wish I were out there with you on that trip, it looks like you had a blast!
[signature]
hey BLM, that brings back my memories of cailfornia. when me and my dad went he brought up a 30 pound striper, or at least i think it was 30 lbs. great trips, fun and memories. did you hook into any rays out there? we had a couple come up on our boat we went out on. heck we even went out at the same boat harbo, did you see an old charter boat named the goldeneye? its the one we went out on.
[signature]
I've enjoyed catching quite a few decent Stripers at Lake Mead and Lake Mojave in Nevada, but I never topped 20 pounds, and I never even came close to the [url "http://community-2.webtv.net/RockandReel/StriperStrategies/page12.html#ACS"]63 pound record[/url]. Like the Wipers, they can put up a good fight and are very fun to catch.
[signature]
Sounds like you had a great trip mac!!! Looks like a lot of fun! Out of curiousity, what happened to your motor?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Who knows but it acted fuel related. I may of took a big dose of water in the back cylinders, possibly through the fuel or exhuast ports. We're not completely sure. I had filled up the tank the night before at Abu's Cheap Gas; it could of had water in it. It ran great the whole time before that. When we did get it started it ran pretty ratty for a while so I took it in to have it checked out.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Lee found two plugs showing some water deposits and were fouled. He put in new plugs and it's running like a top but I'll have to keep an eye on it for a while and hope it was an isolated incident. I hope it's not a blown head gasket or something major! [/size][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like a real good time brings back memories of my bay fishing when i was growing up in the bay area.
[signature]
great post BLM

thanks for sharing . different scenery fish and family. cant beat a vacation like that. i hope to do something like this in the future.
[signature]
SOUNDS LIKE A RAD TRIP i WOULD CERTANLY LIKE TO GET OUT THERE FISHING ON THE OCEAN ONE OF THESE DAYS.
[signature]
Great report BLM and I really enjoyed the pictures. Maybe someday I will get to do a little of that kind of fishing.
[signature]
Now that was a truly great report. Thank you for sharing.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Hey BLM, nice post and pics. I had a buddy who took a trip to Cozumel. He got into some nice Mahi Mahi up to 70 lbs. Barracudas up to 15 lbs and endless amounts of tuna. He did also land one nice ray.It's always nice to see pictures of trips from somewhere us utah boys don't get to very often, it helps us daydream of what it would be like to be up there nailen em' ourselves. Thanks again for the nice report. GOOD FISHIN TO YA'ALL
[signature]