Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay fishing tips??
Im taking some friends out to Willard bay for the weekend but i really have never fished there before so i was hoping someone could give me some tips on what will catch us some fish.. I planned on just tryin to catch some cat fish, and planned on trying some shrimp or liver and worms.. or does someone out there have a better way?? also how is the north marina for night fishing? any info would be greatly appreacheated Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Fishhound and I picked up a bunch of kitties using bottom boncer with worm harness trolling slow or even drifting if current is good and you could even pick up a walleye with the same in which case i will be upset cuz we didnt get any eyes.. but works for both.
[signature]
First recommend you bring 'good' bug-spray...bugs are the non-biting kind mostly but last Saturday before the wind from hell kicked up there were gazillions of them in the water and all over the boat.

Now for fish'n...Walleye and Cats work bottom bouncers with worm harness slow troll like .5-1.5 MPH or just drift. Color that's been working for us is lindy shake-e-blade firetiger and chartruse and lime worm harness. Bottom bouncer weight is 2 oz. Walleye are moving to deeper water and Cats well they're everywhere. You can get Walleye also trolling the same cranks you troll for Wipers.
Wipers you'll want to troll faster say anywhere from 2-3 MPH. Rat'n traps, Rapala Tail dancers, Walley Divers colors vary from hot colors to netural. Watch for boils and if you see one that lasts more than 15 seconds cast it'll be fish on without a doubt.

Oh and one last thing with trolling make sure you set a light drag as if it's tight when the freight-like-train Wiper hits it'll bust the line if the drag is set too tight. I'd say under 12# test. Most worm harnesses are 12# test.

Good luck and post up how you do...we may hit Willard Saturday late afternoon. [Smile] [Smile]
[signature]
will you be on boat or on shore? If on shore shrimp or worms will do for catfish. But you can also catch wipers on shore throwing out 3 in. curly tail grubs. You can use crankbaits , spinnerbaits , and even buzzbaits late at night when the water was calm.BUT BEWARE YOU CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL LOSE SOME LURES!!!
[signature]