Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carp fishing with a fly rod
ive seen poeple use a fly rod to catch carp and i like to try it but i know nothing about it can some one please help me out
[signature]
What kind of Carp? I fish for LAKE carp and Grass Carp.
I CAN use a 6 weight on the Lake Carp, but the river/grass Carp I prefer an 8 weight.
I use floating line on the rivers and if they are rolling on the surface on stillwater, but I also use a sinking line (Type II) Or a sink tip.
Flies, I use Rainy's Carp Collection with luck on the Hex and the Corn Ball.
On the Lake, Haresears, Prince Nymph and Woolly buggers.
They are a very spooky fish, so stealth is a must.

Site fishing is a must!
Just keep at it and HOLD ON! They hit like a freight train.
[signature]
Easier to do than it looks. I used to fish small golf course ponds and FP district lakes in Chicago area, which are teeming with carp, big goldfish and bullheads.

I use a 7wt rod with a 30# butt and 12# tippet - copper nymphs or anything that looks like a crawdad, one of their fav eats.

From shore - I cast parallel to it getting the fly as close to the shore as possible and slow stripping.

From a boat - I cast directly to the shore actually up onto it and draw it off.

Sometimes they'll smack it and other times, just a gentle take. No matter which "take" - when they feel the steel they're off and running. Make sure you have at least 100 yds of backing.
[font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi there Marlinhunter so what size carps are we talking about? While trout fishing in a couple of local regional parks, I have been startled a few times by the trashing of a carp right at my feet. Maybe the next time I'll bring a big stick along and try my luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Anywhere from 2 to 20#. My largest was in an OakBrook subdivision lake that went 24, took half my backing and 45 min to boat it. Caught it on a #12 Copper nymph and 8# tippet. We were fishing bass at the time.
there is a very good book by Barry Reynolds-Carp on the
fly A flyfishing guide.
I got mine at Amazon.com, it was like $20.00 with
shipping.

Peter
[signature]