Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School me on smoking fish!!
Ironworker set me up with my first electric smoker just recently. I am a total newb and need some basic tips. If you have one ore two lines of advice please let me know!

What wood chunks do you use? Where do you get them?
Brine or dry rub?
Smoking times?
Temperature control?

See what I mean? I dont really know what I am doing. I caught a limit of brook trout yesterday though and I am excited to get started on this!! Thanks for any help!
[signature]
The best place I have found for info on smoking all kinds of meat is smokingmeatforum.com I have learned a more from them than you could imagine most of the people on there are very helpful. just ask and you will get lots of info.

markeli
[signature]
im sure youll get some great tips on this subject!! so i might be off on this advice., but i havent had luck with the candy flavored wood cherry, apple ect, just stick with mesquite and i dont think you can go wrong,, so what time is dinner???
[signature]
Alder is the best wood to use with fish. You'll want to leave the skins on the fillets or just smoke the fish whole(minus the guts and head). Fish should be smoked at 175 degrees for 2-3 hours. I've never brined or rubbed fish for smoking. Although you definitely could do some experimentation.
[signature]
Mark- Thanks for the help on the site! Looks good so far!!
Bigfish- I'll bring some next time we go out cattin! Who knows, maybe its the next big bait!!! haha
Jimmi- That is great advice! Where do you get your Alder??

Tubedude, wheres the blue writting? haha Come on, chime in everyone.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. Been busy...smoking fish. Just got a nice batch of kitties out of the smoker. Yum city.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you have no doubt discovered, both from your own reading and from the suggestions given here on the board, there are a lot of different ideas on the best ways to smoke fish...and which woods to use...and which brines...and how long...etc. My best advice is to try a few different things and see what YOU like the best. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know you like the smoked kitty, so here is my process...and some pics of today's results.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, trout are a lot more delicate and do not need nearly as much brining or smoking as catfish. Most smoked trout fans like their fish just nicely cooked and well flavored...not turned into salty cardboard like some guys do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish, on the other hand (rod), are heavy fleshed, oily and take a lot of brining and smoking to finish them up right. If you don't smoke them long enough they are softer, oilier and not nearly as appealing. The last hour makes a lot of difference. You will see them shrink up a bit and lose more moisture and oil as they finish their trip in the smoker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BRINING: [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not soak catfish in salt water. I cut and trim the fillets into pieces about 3-4 inches on a side...which usually weigh about 3 - 4 ounces before smoking and less than half that when finished. I have a large round plastic container that is roughly the same cross sectional area as a smoker rack. I make three stacks of fillet chunks inside that container to get a rough amount to fill the smoker...three racks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I remove the fillets from the container and then put them back in as I "doctor" them. I have 3 containers...sea salt, white sugar and brown sugar. I lay the fillets out in a layer to cover the bottom of the container, then I give a generous coating of first salt, then white sugar and then brown sugar. I flip them over and do the same on the second side. I then add the second layer and process it with the salt, sugar and brown sugar. When I have done all three layers...both sides...I put the lid on the container and leave it in the refrigerator all night.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PREPARATION:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Early the next morning, I get the three smoker racks cleaned, sprayed with non-stick spray and laid side by side on some paper towels...over newspaper. They will get soggy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I take the container of fillets out of the refrigerator, I can usually pour off more than a quart of salty liquid sucked out of the fillets by the salt and sugar. This reduces the size of each piece of fish. Now, I double rinse (rinse twice) each piece of fillet, pat it dry with a paper towel and arrange the pieces on the racks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not add pepper or other seasoning to the brine. I wait until the fillets are on the racks and then sprinkle on my "Super Spice"...a mix of black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic powder. No more salt. Then, I let the fillets air dry for an hour or so. They will form a glaze on the surface.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]SMOKING: [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I prefer the traditional hickory for smoking catfish. I buy both the sawdust and the chips and often mix the two for longer and more even smoking. I do not wet them. I put a fresh pan in the smoker about every two hours and open the lid to check on the progress at about 5 hours. By then the bottom layer, nearest the heating element, is slightly darker than the middle or top layers. So, I rotate the racks...top to bottom and leave them that way until they are all done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In cooler weather I sometimes put a box over the smoker to keep more heat in. In today's 100 degree temperatures the fish were perfectly done about an hour and a half sooner than they would be in cooler weather.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My mouth is watering!! Thanks for that info TD! I can attest to them tasting amazing. I am excited to do my first batch! By next weeked for sure. Where do you guys get the wood chunks?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sportsmans used to carry a good supply of several kinds. USED TO. Not sure about now. But you can usually find them about any place that sells barbecues and supplies. I have got them at Home Depot and Walmart.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure it is a good idea to let you play with fire.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just to chime in, utah bbq is a fine group of people here in Utah that take a strong focus on smoking foods. They have some great info on there for how to smoke meats as well as some good help in finding local sources for woods to smoke with. It's just great site to compliment to the information shared here.
[#4040ff]Sorry Hnaf, but links are not permitted for new members, please see FAQ above.[/#4040ff]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Hnaf, links are not permitted for new members but I'll post your link so folks will still be able to see the web site. [url "http://www.utahbbq.org/"]http://www.utahbbq.org/[/url]
Please see the FAQ above for the rules of the site. WH2
[signature]
I've actually got a friend who works at a cabinet shop. He saves all the trimmings from work. You might try asking around the local shops by you. I know smithfield implement here in cache valley has a good variety of chips, as well as larsens ace hardware in richfield down south. I'm sure there's somewhere around you that will have them.
[signature]
[#500000]Those are not cookie cutter cats........WW.[/#500000]
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#500000]Those are not cookie cutter cats........WW.[/#500000][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Well....depends on the size of your cookies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually the pieces in the pictures came from the 2-footers TubeBabe and I brought home from our last trip to the Knolls. I have come to prefer cats in the 5-6# range for smoking. Just the right thickness to smoke up right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]