Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie questions about W.B.
1st of all, thanks to the Parker Hannifin guys I played golf with at Sun Hills that told me about this site - you know who you are...

Anyway...

Never thought much about walleye fishing until I went to Ontario, Canada this month and caught a boatload, great fun!!! Another fly fisherman expands his horizons. I've always tired of the 'eye guys going on and on about their "best eating fish in the world", but call me a convert. On the downside, I've still got some nice teeth marks...

Up there we just bounced L/H jigs with a worm over any structure and got bit - same strategy here (I realize "Willard structure" is a bit of an oxymorom)???

Crankbaits??

Plastics??

Have access to a boat and thinking of trying it Mon/Wed evening.

Thanks - this site rocks.
[signature]
good to have to here wades2deep!

[Wink]

tony
[signature]
Welcome to the site, and looking forward to your posts. There is also room for more fly fisherman on this site (not one myself, but enjoy reading about all types of fishing).
[signature]
Welcome to the board! Its nice to see another "convert" brought over from the flyfishing fraternity[Smile]. I am also just learning how to fish with something other than a flyrod and enjoying learning about and catching these other species. Its a whole lot less crowded on the water to boot!

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
Welcome. Nice to have you hear. I would probably stick to crank baits, or curl tailed jigs, trolled at 2.8-3.6 MPH if you are looking for some additional fight with the Wipers. But for the eyes stick with a worm harness and a bottom bouncer, slow trolled near the island, or the feed lot. A side planer can help you catch a few more fish as well. Stick to known landmarks until you get to know the lake a little. I have a map (an improved version of Teroy's Willard map) that I'd be happy to email to you. It is in JPG format, a genuine USGS map, with the island, feed lot, and light pole marked for easy reference. Good luck when you head out.
[signature]

Theekillerbee,

Appreciate the offer of a map, Thanks! My e-mail is now in my profile so feel free to send it asap.

One more question, much of an early am / late pm difference?

Thanks
[signature]
This year I've only been out in the evenings. But last year we were able to hit both. I think the AM is a little better for the eyes, and we've had better luck in the PM with the Wipers. The fish out there are funny, one day they are all over your lures, and the next they treat you like a rented mule. Hopefully you can catch it on a good day. Good luck, and BTW the map should be in your email box.
[signature]