Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Fishing
Hey yall,
Hope everyone has had a great summer of fishing so far. I have a pretty open request for information. I have a best friend who really taught me how to and got me hooked on fly fishing in high school who is thinking of flying all the way out from Pennsylvania to fish here for probably about a week. Anyhow, if he makes that trek - I want to show him the best fishing trip of his life. I think I have already decided that we will probably fish the Provo and the Green, as these are Rivers I am confident he will want to fish as he has heard a lot about them and they are well known throughout the U.S.
After that, the possibilities seem endless - but I am thinking that if the trip happens, we will hit either some south slope streams of the Uintas or potentially some North Slope Streams ... or maybe both. What I would be really interested to know is if anyone has fished any of those waters around October. I am specifically thinking of streams like Yellowstone River (South) and Smith's Fork (North). I also would be interested in fishing a lake or two, particularly if there would be some spawning or pre-spawning movement going on around this time. This seems like it could be a very exciting time of the year to catch some aggressive, fat fish.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I am always grateful for those willing to impart their knowledge to others. Sure means a lot, particularly to a kid from out of state who is obsessed with fly-fishing.
[signature]
Shadowcaster-
Sounds like you are in store for a fun filled fishing extravaganza with your buddy! Fun! Definetly have to hit the Provo and Green for the out-of-towners. October is a great month to be on the water. Perhaps the best fishing I have ever experienced in October was at Strawberry. You just can't beat the size and numbers there in the fall. I have had days there in October where I literally thought, by the end of the day, my arm was going to fall off! Good problem to have! Good luck!

-Rich
[signature]
Hey Rich - I have never fished Strawberry reservoir and am really just starting to fly fish stillwaters (we don't really have many in Pennsylvania where I am from that hold trout). Would you mind sending me a message to let me know what patterns are hot there in October and potential places to go/times, etc to find the kind of action you are talking about. My buddy is really excited and it looks like the trip is definitely going to happen.

Also, could anyone help me to come up with some really solid ideas. The idea as of now is to fish the Provo, Green, Strawberry Resevoir (and river), in early October. After that I am looking for a really good mountain stream (was thinking the Yellowstone River which I have never fished on the south slope of the Uintas), and am potentially interested in the Weber which I have also never fished. I'd kind of like to have a mountain stream where we are very likely to catch big numbers, and perhaps a bigger river where we are very likely to catch big trout. Thanks in advance - I really want this to be worth it for my friend.
[signature]
Yeah, definitely give the Strawberry River a try while you're up there. There are some really nice (and colorful) browns as well as some decent brookies that should be nice and aggressive in October.
[signature]
[quote shadowcaster]Hey Rich - I have never fished Strawberry reservoir and am really just starting to fly fish stillwaters (we don't really have many in Pennsylvania where I am from that hold trout). Would you mind sending me a message to let me know what patterns are hot there in October and potential places to go/times, etc to find the kind of action you are talking about. My buddy is really excited and it looks like the trip is definitely going to happen.[/quote]

PM sent.

-Rich
[signature]