Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uinta Fishing Advice
Hey guys, first time poster here. I live in Utah county and have fished just about everywhere in the state. However, I've never fished up in the Uinta Mountains. My bro-in-law and I want to plan a 2 day getaway to the Uintas but don't know where to start. We'd like to park our cars and then pack our tents and gear etc anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 miles into a place as to avoid heavy pressure and crowds. We're not interested in going to any lakes where you can just drive up to it and pitch your tent out the back of your car. But we also don't want to drive all the way out to Duchesne etc.

Anyone on here kind enough to point us in the right direction? I'm not asking for your secret spots or where the biggest fish are. We just want to find a lake that isn't overrun with campers, that has some fish in it, and possibly some at least around the 12 inch range so we can fry up 1 or 2 for dinner. I'm not familiar with the Uintas so I'm not sure how big or how small the fish are on average. It's been a looooooong time since I've harvested any fish for eating but we'd like to cook 1 up over the campfire.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have for me.
[signature]
You could try the Crystal Lake trailhead. It's next to the Washington lake campground. The trail is well marked and there are a lot of lakes that are only a fewf miles in. You could base camp at any of the lakes and then hike to different lakes during the day. I've camped at Long lake and Duck lake and enjoyed both. I haven't been to duck lake in a number of years but the last time I was there someone had tapped a natural spring with a pipe so there was fresh water which was nice. Check out google earth and you can get an idea of the lakes in the area. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Just got back from Crystal Lake and the best advice I can give you is: take a lot of Mosquito Repellent. Due to the wet spring we had, they are thriving in swarms.

Fishing was great at Crystal, so I didn't get a chance to fish the other lakes in the vicinity. If you don't mind moderate hikes, you'll find good fishing in any of those lakes.

I will say this: My son caught his first Tiger Trout, it was impressive. Lots of Brookies and Rainbows to be caught as well.
[signature]