Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming kokanee
I am going to flaming g this saturday. I plan on catching some kokanee. I hear they are catching them on squid skirts tipped with sucker but I dont know where and the depth. If anyone could help me that would be great ,thanks. And, any infomation on mack location and depth would be great. Even the snall ones for eatin!
[signature]
Well I can't say I've heard of tipping hooks with sucker meat for koks but anything is possible I guess. We use RMT Dodgers and squids. We have been finding them around 45-60 feet this time of year. Speed around 1.5-1.8. I tip with gulp maggot and use pro cure scent in herring or carp spit. I'll be up there this weekend fishing out of lucerrne if you need anymore info on where they are or what they are biting stop by the gas dock and look me up.
[signature]
I have not heard of anyone using sucker meat for Kokes. We used squid with carp spit as scent and it worked great. We fish the Anvil area on the Wyoming side and caught some nice ones. make sure you troll fast enough and that you lure has action. They want action more that something to eat. They only bite out of aggression not hunger.

Also, use a soft pole or rubber snubbers. You won't loose so many.
[signature]
[quote chinook]They only bite out of aggression not hunger.[/quote]

Everyone always says this, but I've caught kokes on rapalas, flatfish, and even drift fishing with powerbait/worms at both Strawberry and Flaming Gorge.

Granted, kokanee are an "incidental by-catch" while bait fishing and trolling loud lures behind dodgers works far better, but there seam to be some kokes who don't understand that they're only supposed to eat plankton. One thing for sure is that for kokes a baited loud lure works far better than an unbaited loud lure, at least for me.
[signature]
I would have to agree I have not heard of catching them with carp or sucker meat but I thing that the gulp maggots made all the difference when I was up there in June. Once I remembered that I had them to use, we couldn't keep them off the line. We used cotton candy squid following double dodgers at 40'. Good luck I wish i could come up this weekend.
[signature]
This is an interesting topic. First off, what specific lures fall into your loud lure cartegory? I have a boatload of koke spoons and a handful of wedding rings, but I usually only use either a Dick Nite or a Midge Wobbler (one on one rod, one on the other). I think bait or scent (I just use scent cuz I'm afraid a piece of bait will ruin the action of my lure) is a pretty big deal - can't say whether or not I think they are trying to get in in their stomachs or not, but I'm pretty condfident that it makes your lure seem a heck of a lot more real, and should help attract them to it.

I seem to also like a nickel willow leaf pop gear the best, but I have never used a dodger, do they work better?
[signature]
I don't know if they work better, but a dodger is definitely funner to fish with because if become weightless when you catch a fish. Pop gear is so heavy and takes some of the fun out of fighting and feeling the fish. Dodgers, if the action is good, can do as well I believe.
[signature]
[quote Got_Bait]First off, what specific lures fall into your loud lure cartegory?[/quote]

A loud lure for me is anything neon bright with a lot of movement. A bright pink squid tied 6 inches behind a dodger so it violently swishes back is a good example. I also use needlefish spoons in bright colors.

I think popgear works better than dodgers at attracting kokes if you've got a lure that provides a lot of movement on its own, but if you ask me it kind of ruins the whole experience. I can usually tell I've got a koke on the line because it's instantly out of the water. Like someone said, flashers and dodgers go mostly limp when you get a fish on so the kokes can be more aerobatic.

When the kokes are deep (50+ feet) I'll attach the popgear to the downrigger ball and then attach my release clip to the popgear. Any shallower than this and I feel my boat/motor scares the fish off.
[signature]
When the kokes are deep (50+ feet) I'll attach the popgear to the downrigger ball and then attach my release clip to the popgear. Any shallower than this and I feel my boat/motor scares the fish off.[/quote]

This is what we call a ball troll. These work well when your fishing in water depths over 30'. I like to run my dodger/squid set up around 6-8 feet behind this on a stacker line approximatley 4-6 feet above this set up. This has been very effective for me and many others in the past.
[signature]
Interesting posts guys!
Never heard of carp spit. Where you getting it?
Thanks
[signature]
Carp spit is a scent made by PRO-CURE scents.
[signature]
I too am heading out this weekend to the Gorge. I have never been and my wife has nevr been kokanee fishing. I appreciate the lure help. Where should I go and troll? I was thinking of going out of Lucerne. I heard the "pipeline" was doing well or Sheep creek. I do not know either places. Where should I head to?

Also, I need a place sto stay while I am there. Anyone know the lodge number or the number of a place to camp?

Any help I can get for this outting will be much appreciated.

Thanks. [fishin]
[signature]
i have never fished anything but wedding rings, and vertical jigging for kok's. could you please explain how this set up works?
[signature]
You can look for improved places to camp and reserve sites at the website [url "http://www.recreation.gov/"]http://www.recreation.gov/[/url]. As you'll see there's a lot of options. There's also unimproved camping in the upper end of the reservoir, from Lucerne northward. There are motels/hotels in Manila, and you also have Red Canyon and Flaming Gorge Lodge down near the dam.

Trolling for kokes has been good near the Pipeline, in Sheep Creek Bay below the red cliffs, and in Hideout Canyon, within boating distance of Lucerne. There's also other good locations further uplake and downlake if you decide to camp elsewhere.

Koke fishing has been hit or miss this year, at least at times. If they're not biting, you can always shift gears to target lake trout or rainbows, try casting for smallmouths, and then revisit the kokes later. Lots of options on the Gorge!

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]