Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 mile trip in the cathouse
[font "Times New Roman"] Monday was my birthday. For a couple of weeks I have been planning another float trip we could take in our tubes. My last trip was to Milner Lake for catfish on a 3-mile float trip. I only got three cats on that trip but I learned a lot. Well for my birthday I wanted to go where Jacob and I would have a SMOKIN chance at some good sized cats. I talked to Dan the guy that went with us to Milner and asked him if he was interested. He said he was and I started to do some homework. What I found was the river around Weiser looked like it would be a good float trip. I also found a spot where I could launch and where I could take out and it was all on public land. I also found that the trip was going to be just a hair over 5 miles. Dan knew people in Weiser and soon we had a ride back to the truck. All we had to do was make a call as we were heading to the take out spot. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] We met up with a young man that had NEVER been tubing before. He had also never caught a catfish before, and to top it off after we asked him to go with us he said it was a “trip of a life time”. He was a good kid and his name was Ian. I don’t think he gets a lot of support at home from his folks for going fishing. Money is tight and they live off what they can. I took my daughter Katie’s camo tube for him. We got a set of waders loaned to him and the rest of the stuff we dug up here and there.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] We got to the launch area at 5:30 am. Air temp was 68 degrees water was 74. Dan was the first one in the water and he got the first cat, a 20” kitty. Dan is a very good bass fisherman but has been a little slow on the uptake for cats. After that first fish Dan had about a 5 hour dry spell. We fished down the bank and soon I told the guys I wanted to cross the main channel and fish the first island. The current was strong in this section and we were cruising at over 2 mph. As I came out of the current I hooked up with my first kitty of the day. At first I thought I snagged bottom and then I took off. After a good fight Dan took pictures of my fish for me. Jacob was next with a 21” fish that liked to strip line of his light rod. We fished to the end of the island and soon I wanted to cross again to the next island. I headed out to the center where the water was faster and only about 3 foot deep. I got another hit, this time on my ultra light. This cat stripped off about 40 yards of ling QUICK in the fast water. I kicked back to Jacob and after a street fight with this fish Jacob took the picture of me and the kitty.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] We all went through a dry spell at this point. The new kid Ian had yet to catch a fish. We fished an eddy that looked good but we never got a fish. I saw a BIG cat sipping bugs off the surface but never did get it to bite. We left that spot and Jacob was the next to hook up, and he landed a nice little kitty. I never got that chance to cross to the other island because I hooked that fish with my ultra light. So I headed across, and about the center of the river I got a MONSTER hit but lost the fish. Jacob followed and so did Dan and Ian. Ian had a poor tube for this kind of float and he just wasn’t experienced with kicking. Well he was washed a mile down river before he could get to the shore. In the mean time he hooked up with his first catfish on his first float tubing trip. We caught back up with him and I suggested we just get out in the channel and float. That seemed to be the place where we were getting bites. For the Next couple of miles we hooked up with fish after fish. I landed another 26” fish and everyone got a fish.[/font]
The total for the trip was Dan 2 cats, Ian 2 cats, Jacob 2 cats, and me with 10 cats, ( I released 5) and 1 bass. The last picture is of my float tube as I was getting out of the river. I added a cooler holder to the back of the seat. It was a good trip we fished right at 5 miles. I wished we had shot for 10 to 12 miles instead of 5. I will have to give that a try next time. It was a great way to spend my birthday. Ron
[signature]
Nice post glad to hear about the good fishing on a great day. Kudos to getting out out on the water. That certainly brought you some good karma!

bob
[signature]
that sure sounds like a GREAT tubing trip. It was very nice of you guys taking that kid Ian with you. Good
karma for sure.
I love that cooler holder man. Whatever it takes.[Smile]
Thank you for the great story and pictures.

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report and pictures. I especially like the cooler add-on. Good idea for extended trips with multiple anglers. I used to rig up a cooler inside an inner tube for fishing on small lakes, and could just anchor it when not in use. But, that would not be practical for a float trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure I would have taken a newbie tuber on such a trip for their first experience. There are a lot of things that could have gone wrong. But, he looks young and tough...and happy with his fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seems like you have become a pretty fair "catman". A lot of folks just do not appreciate the little refinements that go into fishing for them. And, those who have not experienced the power and fighting ability of the kitties just don't understand the attraction. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also sounds like you have discovered why they are called "channel" cats. They like moving water. In many rivers you catch more and bigger fish by working the deep channels with heavy flows. They are not fish of stagnant waters if they can find some current in which to set up and wait for food to come by. I have fished them from a tube in several rivers where I "parked" my tube in a slow eddy and cast out into the flow. Bottom bouncing with a baited jig in those conditions is usually a pretty good way to get customers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you have gained the confidence and experience to take advantage of the opportunities the old Snake River provides in that area. There are a lot of fish that go unmolested simply because nobody else pursues them the right way.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ron, you HAVE TO post some pictures of the cooler
set up please. I like it so much that I just cant get
over it.

Thank you peter
[signature]
Now if you could combine that with your wheel set up, that could be marketable. Wheels to get you to the water, flip it over, put it in the back and insert Ice Chest. MULTI TASKING!!!!

Now throw in an anchor system and maybe another rod holder...YIKES

This could be good!!!!!! SERIOUSLY
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Now if you could combine that with your wheel set up, that could be marketable. Wheels to get you to the water, flip it over, put it in the back and insert Ice Chest. MULTI TASKING!!!!

Now throw in an anchor system and maybe another rod holder...YIKES

This could be good!!!!!! SERIOUSLY[/quote]

Thats precisely what I was thinking sister- wheels
and cooler combo.[Smile]
And that would not be even that hard to do.

Peter
[signature]
TD, you said "[#0000ff]Seems like you have become a pretty fair "catman"[/#0000ff]
From you, I take that as a HUGE complement.
To be honest your help has been the reason I have done so well this year. I started out this year as a catfish virgin. Now I am sure I have landed over 100 cats.
I am heading out tonight for a little night fishing in the tubes. I will let you all know how it was. Ron
[signature]
" I started out this year as a catfish virgin. Now I am sure I have landed over 100 cats. "

[cool][#0000ff]Wow. From virgin to a 5 mile cathouse in one year. Pace yourself my son.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad I could assist in your defloration and subsequent kitty debauchery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now you gotta find some flatheads. That will be the ultimate in carnal catfish pleasure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Meeeeee Owwww.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Like this one? This flathead was a fun time girl[shocked]
Last night cat run was to a local farm pond. I got 6 channel cats but nothing bigger than 12"
Ron
[signature]
Nice report Ron! [cool]

Quote:5 mile trip in the cathouse

I once had a guy tell me he went to the moon and back in a cathouse, but now that I think about it I'm not sure he was talking about fishin'. That would take a lot of time with a float tube. . . . [:/]
[signature]