Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye. Disabled Veterans Fishing Event News
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Geezer, Fishned, VA Rep, Trout31 and his soon to be bride, Bassrods, and yours truly met at the VA Center on Saturday at 8:00 AM. We discussed the current status of preparations for the Disabled Veterans Fishing Event scheduled for the 8th of August at Soldier Creek Marina of Strawberry Reservoir.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]We currently have 34 boats signed up with the capacity to host 63 Veterans. As of the meeting time/date, the VA Rep said there are 40 Veterans signed up for the event. Most boats will be hosting one Veteran and this should mean a very memorable experience for all of the Veterans. Veterans will be assigned to boats as they register at the marina when they arrive.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Boats can start launching at 6:00 AM and should be finished by 7:00 AM. The Veterans are expected to arrive between 7:00 and 7:30 AM and a Flag raising ceremony will be conducted at the entrance gate to the Soldier Creek campground by the Heber City Chapter of the DAV. All the volunteers helping with this event are invited to the ceremony.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]The Veterans will be taken to the marina area after the Flag raising ceremony and will be registered and assigned to a boat. The boats will depart for the fishing grounds as soon as possible after the Veteran is safely on board.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Speaking of safety, I’d like to remind each and every Boat Captain that Utah law requires that an approved flotation device is available for each person on the watercraft. The law doesn’t require that the device be worn, but it MUST be available.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Also, the VA HIGHLY recommends that this event be an alcohol free event due to the medical considerations of some of the Veterans. If you absolutely can not get through the fishing part of the day for this event without a cool one or two, please let us know so we can assign a Veteran to your boat that doesn’t have an issue with drugs or alcohol. Drinking at the BBQ will be at your own discretion. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]We will have a crew at the launch area that will handle the registration of Veterans and Boat Captains as well as assigning Veterans to boats. An additional service available will be assistance in launching your boat and parking your vehicle after launch. This may be especially helpful for Boat Captains that will be running solo for the day. Your vehicle will be parked, locked, and the keys secured while you and your Veteran are fishing. Upon your return, your vehicle will be retrieved and brought to the launch area and made ready for the extraction of your boat. You are under no obligation to use this service but should feel free to use it if needed.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]One last item that might be helpful for you to have available is an FRS type hand-held walkie-talkie radio. This will make it easy to contact the launch crew on your return so they can have your vehicle and trailer waiting for you at the launch when you get back. If you don’t have one, that’s okay, we can work around it.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]With some trial and error, it appears that the food/drink donations are finally coming together. I don’t believe anybody will go away hungry. A great BIG thank you goes out to each and every one of you that have taken the time to secure or donate these items. The official time for the BBQ to start will be 2:00 PM. There are 2 large cooking grills at the Pavilion so there shouldn’t be too much of a delay, if at all, in getting everybody fed. There are about a dozen or so picnic tables at the pavilion which will not accommodate the 120, or so, people we are expecting. So please feel free to bring your own chair to assure you have a place to sit and enjoy the food and the company.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]There will be a raffle at the BBQ to give away some very nice donations of fishing equipment and tackle. Most of this will be going to the Veterans. But there will be a few items available for the volunteers as well. But you must be present to win. If you leave early, you lose.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Adam Eakle will be there filming the days activities to be broadcast on his Roughin It Outdoors show. So be sure to have on your Happy Face for the event.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I think that about covers the important stuff that we discussed at the meeting. If you were at the meeting and have anything to add, please, by all means do so. Take care, and I hope to see you on the water on the 8th.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Is there going to be someone collecting the food we will be bringing so it does not sit in the vehicles while we fish ?
[signature]
If you need someone to throw a helping hand Let me know..
It sounds like the food is being handled..
But if you need some help with cooking or something or if you need coolers and Ice Or just someone to help clean up Let me know Ill log on tomorrow and see if you need some help...
Let me know I was planing a trip up there any way.
I
[signature]
Sorry Bob, but I was a two-way radio repair tech for 3 yrs, but I'm not sure I know what a FRS radio is (VHF?)...I have 2 Motorola Talkabouts (or whatever they're called) and 2 Cobra's ( I think) and can bring them for others to use if needed....are they the FRS you're talking about?
[signature]
The Talkabouts are FRS radios.

FRS stands for "Family Radio Service"

[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service[/url]
[signature]
Bob,

I think it's about time we thanked you as well. Thanks for putting this great event together.

I'll be there early with boat, tackle, drinks, snacks and ready to give them a great memorable time.
[signature]
I too wanted to personally thank you Bob for putting it on for these guys. I too will be there with drinks snacks and bait. And poles in hand. Last but not least my first mate. Pikeman GO FISH
P.S. If any one needs any tips on what dough bait to use P.M. me
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Thanks for the kudos folks, but this is not a one man show. It was Bassrods idea and I thank him publically for getting it started. Some other people have been working very hard in the background to bring this thing together and they deserve an “ATTA BOY” as well. Here’s a partial list to include the Team Leaders:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Bassrods (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]BigBassaholic (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Emiley Potter (VA Rep)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Fishned (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Geezer (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Keystonecop (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Trout31 (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Wiperhunter2 (BFT)[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]There are several other helpers that have had a large impact on making this successful. So on behalf of ALL the folks working hard to make this happen, thanks for the kudos.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Are you matching fisherman up with the style on fishing we the boaters do vs. what the Vet may like to do ie: trolling, fly, casting, jigging or bait fishing. I am not set up to troll. and don't carry power bait on my boat. Worms but no power bait. [fishin] Just an idea it maybe to late? But just thought that could make it a bit more enjoyable for the Vets. [cool]

Pre fished Sunday fishing was tough only boated 12 most on flys 1 on a jig tip with a worm and two on a pointer. That was on the Stawberry side.
[signature]
Personally i dont troll much it would be good for the vets to see the scenery especially in the narrows than just being in one spot for most of the day. Just my opinion and since i always pick up a few trolling it would work for me.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]The subject of what fishing method would be used never came up. I think that for this event, the fishing method will be at the discretion of the boat captain. But you do bring up a valid point. If this event is held again next year, the preferred fishing method of the veterans should be determined when the veteran signs up for the event. Then, the veterans can be assigned to boats that can accommodate the preference of the veteran.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]For my veteran, it will be trolling for trout and kokanee out of my Deep V boat. Bass boats and pontoons may be providing other methods of fishing such as bait fishing or working the shoreline with bait and jigs.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Thanks, Wes, for bringing this point up. We certainly need to give it some thought for next time. See you Saturday.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks Bob at 1st I was thinking about me, my boat, and my lack of trout fishing skills but then the thought about the Vets some might have limitations not being able to cast for hours straight or hold a pole for hours or whatever. I was just hopping to get a good match for the guys to make as fun as possible. Its algood we will just have be flexible and have a great time doing something very cool and special l[cool] THANKS![Smile][fishon]
[signature]
As long as they can turn a handle on a reel they will be covered in my rig.
[signature]
I was going to try jigging, thought I could use the maximum amount of poles to try and ensure more fish for the veteran on my boat. But there are no walleye in strawberry unfortunately so I'll be asking for tips on trout fishing. May be there Friday to pre fish but don't know for sure as work has me upside down this week.
[signature]
Its nice to see something like this for Veterans. So thanks to everyone involved in making this event happen.
[signature]
I would say good luck to everyone, but I might rub my bad luck off on you, so just pretend that I did [Wink] I sure hope the weather cooperates with you. Catch lots of fish. Way to go on making a memorable experience.
[signature]
I don't fish for trout much and haven't been on Strawberry for 6 or 7 years, so I hope I can put my guests into fish. I'll just try my old tactics, trolling or jigging. I won't be too far from there Friday hanging a tree stand and bulding a couple ground blinds for the upcoming archery hunt. Looking forward to putting alot of faces to names this Sat. The weather looks like it should be nice but a bit on the cool side. I will have rain gear and some warm coats if needed for my fisherman.
[signature]
Hey Pete,

I'll give you a shout on the radio and let you know how we are doing and where the fish are, etc. I am Triumph or Sportfishin Steve on the radio. I am a 21'CC with T top. I will start out near the submerged island by the dam, but will motor over to all the regular haunts on Strawberry as the regulars hit the water. Let me know if I can help with tips on terminal gear or tackle for trolling up there.

Maybe we ought to pick an operational channel for all the BFT'rs just for this trip so we can share information??

Steve
[signature]
Thanks for the offer, not looking for anyone's hot spot just want to make sure the guys have a good day on the water. I'll be in my Crestliner "picture in photo gallery" flying an American Flag off the Stern. I'm hoping we don't have fog that morning as it can get pretty bad on the water when the temp changes after a storm. We bow hunt close enough to Strawberry that I can see the lake and have seen it get pretty socked in until midmorning. Listening to the weather, they are calling for showers on Friday and cooler temps on Sat.
[signature]
Latest report I saw for Sat. was temps at Daniels were suppose to be in the 60's, may want to throw an extra coat or two in. Maybe the weather man will change his mind and boost it up to the 70's to make it a little more comfortable for our guests.[cool]
[signature]