Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican Lake report
Well FB2 and I hit Pelican around 7 this morning. We fought our way through the skeeters, then got our feet stuck in the mud, then we made a successful launch. We both started off trying to catch the bass in that lake. FB2 went to a top water popper and took 3 nice bucket mouths in about a half hour. I on the other hand was getting my butt kicked by that kid of mine. So I switched fish and went after the blue gil. Hooked up on the 1st cast with a little 9 incher, then nothing. Man was I getting bummed! FB2 decided to paddle back to the truck and gfet a drink. He gave me back my popper as it was the lucky one. I casted and popped and still nothing. He tells me on the radio it's my technique .... or lack there of. Now The bass are jumping all around me, they just wont have nothing that I throw at them. Well I break out the test lure Catus Jacks 1 shot catch a lot lure. Damn if this cheap lure didn't do the trick. Over the next couple of hours I picked up 21 buckets in the 12 to 15 inch range. Nothing real big but non stop action, it was GREAT!! Even the blue gil where hitting this thing. They just couldn't get their mouths opned wide enough to get hooked. For the day 21 large mouths (I kept 4 for dinner)15 blue gil (kept 3 for tomorrow). I'm not sure but I believe that FB2 totaled out at 9 largies and half a dozen blue gils for the day. We left at 4 pm but probably should have stayed until dark. But Heber is so far from there we would'nt have gotten home until after midnight.
We got some pics and as soon as I get the flime developed I'll post them.
[signature]
[size 1]yeah that sounds about right. here is what i have to say. i started out the first one in the water, i string up my fly rod because i bought some speciallty flies and wanted to try them out. well i felt my rod bending where it soudnt have been bending, so i looked and sure enough, it had a big ole crack, broke the base right in half, dang, i thought it was a sign. i go back to shore, and use my dads fly rod, because he said he wasnt going to use it, well i put my reel on it and struggle back out into the deeper water. i started out with a yellow sponge spider that was supposed to be the killer thing up there right now, well it wasnt, neither was the black spider. so with no more lolly gagging, i put on my 2.50 specallty bass fly. well i start out stripping it and casting it, i figured it was to much work so i would just dragg it behind me and pop it every few second, well if that didnt work, after about 4 snapps of my line, i see a huge bucket mouth come out and slam it, it hit so hard it broke my tippet( it may have been a faulty knot). well i was bummed and paddled over to road, to get popper from him, it did the trick. i no sooner casted out and got a hit. i kept getting hits about every 3 cast, but i could not hook them. i finnally hook into one, the biggest of the day for me. it measured out to be 14 inches, it had some fight in it. i continue to catch them, in about 4-5 minutes i was 3 for 3. i thought this aint too bad. then it took a turn for the worst, i got a bug in the throst, and it would not come out, so i headed into shore. on my way back out, i figured i would give the sponge spiders another shot. and i no sooner threw it out and hooked into a nice bucketmouth. i caught 5 more in the same area and the bites stopped, so i headed out to give road a drink and catch some bluegills. that is how my day went, not to shabby if i do not say so my self. [/size]
[signature]
Sounds like you had a much better day than I had .Way to go !! I went to Pineview this morning for abuse .Had bites but lost all fish I hooked up on . Slow day for sure . Did get some Muskie follows . Couldn't find crappie or gills and left at noon . Fish the north arm and someone in a inflatable boat had a muskie they were dragging around while trolling . Seen they where leaving and wanted to check out fish . Fish was about the same size as the one you hooked Road and it measured 44" .There goes our fish LOL . Hated to see this fish killed but I told them what I thought about it . Water is down , north arm old highway is just about all out of water . Maybe 4' to 5' down from its high .Running out of flooded brush , got to find new structure .I think I am over my 1000 cast for muskie now . Is there someone I can talk to get this straighten out , because I don't want to go another 1000 .LOL
[signature]
What size popper where you using? I've tried a 2" popper with no success, interested in what size, model, color is working for you. The [size 1]Catus Jacks 1 shot catch a lot lure sounds like it does the job. Where can I get them?[/size]
[signature]
yeah it was about 2-3 inches, with a black skirt around the back.
[signature]
Was it a deer hair or cork popper ? I use to love hooking crappie and gills on them .
[signature]
well the fly i lost was a deer hair, it was to big for the gill, but i could have gotten a smaller one. going to go to the fly shop and learn how to tie it, it is too expensive to keep buying every time i loose one.
[signature]
HA69 man dude you have some awful luck bro.[Sad] Now ya could have been paddlin around up at Pelican with FB2 and i. Maybe the next time we go. Now how we going to get you too hook up with that muskie? Maybe another trip to Pineview, FB2 is dying to take on a Muskie. He thinks its just throw um a hook and ya got one LOL. Besides he bought me a box full of muskie lures for father day. I know he cant't wait to see how many he can loose[Wink]
[signature]
If you include the streamer it was a 3 incher. It had a red face and a slightly red crown on top, black markings (kind of like stripes) on top and a black streamer.

Now the Catus Jack's 1-Shot Catch a Lot fishing system I was using came from BFT. I was doing a product test. You can read the post over at the product testing board. If you are interested in purchasing one, check here at BFT. Dave T Clown, or The Angler may be able to help you. If that doesn't work do a search at google or some such site for the system. Hope this helps.
[signature]
ive been up there about 8 more times in the last month without any success randy so dont feel too bad
[signature]