Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Help for DAV Event
Hi guys, I will be taking a vet fishing on Saturday and was wondering if anyone could help me out with any recent info on the bite. I have only fished the Berry on the ice so any advice for current conditions would be appreciated. I have a pretty good trolling set up and was planning to focus my efforts on that. Any advice on areas of the lake, depths to tgt, and possible lure selection would be helpful. I have a pretty good crank bait selection.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
I will try and jig as I only have one down rigger. If anyone could also include any adivce on what has been working that way please post as well. Wet1 not trying to hijack your post. I'm just not a trout fisherman at all.
[signature]
Well the last few weeks i have fished soldier creek with limited success. I caught all my fish there trolling .I caught them as far down as 50 feet trolling rapalas. I jig the narrows a lot especially the points and drop offs with white tube jigs tipped with chub meat if you dont have chub use carp .I am pretty sure someone else will chime in with pointers.
[signature]
i have also trolled with a down rigger but also i have trolled using rapalas with out the rigger and have done well for cutts and rainbows note i used deep divers that would dive to about 20 to 30 feet got them from sportsmans for under ten bucks

i would put them out about 100 feet or so and they seemed to do well

that means you can use your down rigger at 40 to 50 feet
and troll with your rapalas at 15 to 25 feet
you can put 2 lines on your rigger if you have the extra release set one at 45 and the other at 25' we did it at the gorge and did ok

i have never realy tried to jig yet hope to do well
[signature]
[quote submoa]

I will try and jig as I only have one down rigger. If anyone could also include any adivce on what has been working that way please post as well. Wet1 not trying to hijack your post. I'm just not a trout fisherman at all.

[/quote]

Try in water about 30 - 35' deep early and 40 to 45' deep after about 10 AM. You should be able to catch some vertically close to the bottom and also they can be caught by casting. When casting let the jig sink to the bottom, reel a couple cranks, let the jig sink back to the bottom and keep repeating until one has reeled in. Keep the line tight enough to tell when one bites or the chances of having them swallow the jig is greater. I almost always try tipping the jigs with crawlers sometime during the day and some days they seem to like crawlers, but most days I have had better success tipping with cut bait (chubs, suckers, red sided shiners, or baby carp). Keep the cut bait small -- not over about 1/2" wide unless one is fishing with the tail and then it can be a little longer. Larger bait won't attract any more bites and one misses more bites with the larger bait. I prefer solid white, solid black and various shades of those two colors and shades of yellow. Be sure to keep the jigs so they are horizontal in the water. IMHO one gets far more bites, when fishing vertically, if the jig hangs horizontaly, as opposed to hanging vertically.
[signature]
Worse case you can use worm and powerbait it alaways works for rainbows.
[signature]
Powerbait also works for the cutts (I have used it in the past with the young grandkids).
[signature]
Guys, thanks for all the help. Since I don't have riggers I think I'll pull some cranks that dive to 28ft until I don't get any action on them and then perhaps try vertical jigging. Once again, I appreciate the help.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
There will be about 40 boats up there for the DAV. I would bet that at the registration or when we launch the boats there will be a lot of help with questions and what to do, use etc. There will be a number of guys that fish the Berry alot. See you Sat Wet1.
[signature]
Had a friend that fished on Monday went to the North East side of the Island by Chicken Creek West and used White Tubes tipped w/crawlers Jigging and caught 25 in an hour!!!
[signature]