Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dipsy diver advice
I have a small fishing boat with no room to hook up a down rigger. I've been looking at the dipsy diver to get deep enough down to the fish. Have any of you used one and what are your opinions.
[signature]
I personally dont like them i used to have a couple and gave them away and switched to lead core line easier to keep track by color on what depth i was catching fish .
[signature]
I like the jet divers better than the dipsy divers. However, you can adjust the dipsy to run out to the side of the boat so thats what I use when I have friends with me. This allows me to run 2 poles off the stern with lead line, 2 poles on down riggers and 2 poles with with dipsys' out to the sides.
[signature]
Used these alot before i got my downriggers. One thing i learned was that the hook up rat was better if you held the pole in your hand and set the hook immediatly. Because when a fish would bite the diver releases, causing the line to go slack. If it was in a pole holder by the time i got it out and set the hook the fish was often gone.
[signature]
I don't do as much fishing from a boat as I used to do since I found the many advantages of fishing from a float tube. However, when fishing from a boat I like dipsy divers. I have three or four of them. I have a downrigger, and I have leaded line reels, I have several jet divers, and I have a Pink Lady diver. All of them work, and all of them have some special feature the others don't have. I have even used a large dipsy diver with leaded line at the Strawberry with great success.

Using a dipsy diver in small boat to get in the "fish zone" for fish in deep water works great! My recommendation would be to get the size 1 model if you are only going to get one size.

Now that I fish so much from a float tube, I don't use these devices as much as I used to. Now I use jigs, drop shot rigs, and bottom bouncers to get to deep fish.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I will probably buy one this weekend. Have you found at all if the color of the diver really makes any difference?
[signature]
I have a variety of colors, and I sincerely believe that color doesn't make much, if any, difference.
[signature]