Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WLG, NIckajack (Chick Tailwaters), BLUE CATS and scattered skipjack, 7-23-09, Troy ( Monstercat)
Heres a report for you cat guys. I havnt got to do a whole lot of fishing lately and when I have been it hasnt been anything to write about. I work with a couple guys who have been telling me they are catching skipjack below the dam so me and Troy decided to go see if it were true yesterday evening. We got there around 530pm and sure enough there was alot of action at the end of the wing wall.....so much action if fact you couldnt get another boat in there to fish the "seam" if you drove it in with a wedge!!! One guy was wearing out the white bass..skipjack...spotted bass..etc on a fly rod and most everyone else was using some sort of top water bait. Troy was throwing a popping cork with 2 jigs tied behind it and managed to come up with 2 medium sized skippies. I beleive they are in there...thicker at times when theres more current and scattered about when there is less current like last night. after he caught those 2 we said to heck with all these people and moved over closer to the dam and set up on one of our "TOP SECRET" spots ( see photo for details) emoLaugh WE sit there for quite awhile with the occasional nibblers trying to get a 4 inch chunk of skipjack herring in their mouth and finnally while Troy was reading a book and I was playing with the GPS I heard a THUMP...like something ran into the side of the pontoon boat. I looked around...everything looked normal...then about a minute later I was just about to suggest a move...and I looked back and Troy's back rod was peelin drag!!! I tried to alert him...but I guess the book was just too interesting( I tried REALLY hard too) emoHoppingmad Finally he said .....ahhh just go ahead and reel that little ol fish in Wade....so I ...being the great brother in law that I am...had to help him out and reel in the 43 lb blue cat attached to the other end!! emoBigSmile It was great to get out and feel a big blue tug on the cord again!!! Hopefully I will be back out there this weekend...hope to see some of you. If you want some skippies....this is the first time in 2 years I have caught any around here....might be a good time to go try for them below the chick if you can get a spot to fish!!! They are scattered at best...but Im told that at times they can be in there pretty thick!! Good luck!!