Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big one gets away ... Willard 6-28-03
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Well, I had a memorable evening at Willard last night. I hooked into most definitely the largest fish I have ever had on at Willard. Yes, you guessed it, I lost it. I was so up set that I felt like throwing my pole into the lake!. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Me and my buddy were way out in the middle, a mile or so east of the light pole. Was trolling white grubs with white lead heads. I won't describe all the details about how big I figure it was and how much time I spent working to get him in. And I can't say what it was but my guess is that it was a wiper. I had visions of state record fame. I was SO ready for a photo session until it got free. But I don't think I will ever forget it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Anyway, we caught a couple nice walleye and about six wipers. Most came in at around 7:30 till 8:30 out in the middle of the lake and all came in on grubs. One wiper on a green/chartreuse grub and all the others came in on perlesent white grubs with white lead heads. Action was hot during that one hour time period. Water temps were about 74.5 all evening.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Met old Predator in his nice new Weldcraft out around the light pole. As always, he had had pretty fair luck with a variety of lures. He said that he hadn't been to Willard for over a month. He had been spending most of his time up at Mantua. It was good to see him again. I told him HI from everyone and told him that we miss him on the board. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Seen a couple of areas with some good bird diving action and I also seen one nice boil ... first for the year for me.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man, I'm still upset about missing that big one. I felt like fame was just seconds away and I MISSED IT![/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That's too bad, Coot! We were out there last night and did pretty good. We caught 13 wipers and a walleye. We even got into some top water! Ya![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#ff0000][size 4]Words of Advice[/size][/#ff0000] - Don't launch out of north marina. it is very shallow and there are places that it is only 1.5 deep. I nicked my stainless steel prop and roughed up my skeg so what ever it is is HARD![/size][/font]
[signature]
That kind of a report would keep me coming back . You get it next time Coot . Nice report
[signature]
Ouch Coot. That sucks. What was the cause for the lost fish? Did he spit the hook or the line snap?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Teroy ... No damage to line, hardware, or hook. He just out smarted me after 3-4 minutes of contest. He's even more experienced now.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM ... what were you catching your fish on and where abouts were you? I was looking for you but never seen you. When I talked to Pred, he said that he seen your truck but hadn't seen you on the lake.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[Sad]ahhh,sorry he got away coot

The longest I have had a big one on out there is maybe thirty seconds.Three minute most have felt like a half hour.did he strip line like CRAZY.lol.

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We covered the whole east side of the pond from the island to the north marina. Most of our action was in the middle trolling circles. I have a plotter on my GPS. If I get hit or catch one, we run through the areas really heavy then we move on. I mark all strikes and fish on the GPS. It works GREAT for going back and getting into the exact area.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We were using the standard fair, producers and chartruese 5" curly tail grubs with 1/2 oz heads. We got into top water towards sunset. We caught 3 on the cast, the rest trolling. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I also had my VHF radio tuned in to channel 68, hopeful to pick up another BFT guy. Even made a call seeing if anyone was around but nobody had their ears on.[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM , What kind of top water works on them Wipers ? I'm guessing Popin R s , maybe Buzzbaits , jitterbugs , torpeos or maybe all of them .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]All of them work. When wipers are on the feed anything works. It's a great time to practice your top water action. I need a little work on "walkin' the dog" with my new crankbait rod. I hope I get lots of practice![/size][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like a blast . Pretty soon it may be float tube only if the water keeps going down . I got to get out there and walk the dog !
[signature]
Have you ever noticed how fish seem to grow when they get off of a guy's line? Seriously Old_Coot I feel your pain.
[signature]
see bear what did i tell you. dont need those darn boils to get them goin on top
[signature]
hey hells

get a producer shad popper. they work best. looks just like the old shad producer pattern.
[signature]
Hey coot

if i didnt know better i would say that sounds like one of the old cats that are still lurkin around in there. i hooked into one last year in the south marina that almost broke my arm and im not kidding. it straightened my one arm totally out and i had to use both hands to keep the rod up. then it simply bent one of my hooks cuz the drag locked up on my baitcaster and it was running and there was no way in stopping that sucker. if it iwas a wiper it certainly was a record i havent hooked one yet that yanked that hard like a 30 lb cat does. thats too bad it came off. hate not knowing what the heck it was then pulls so hard.
[signature]
Coot, I hate to hear that story!!! You are probably the most deserving to bring in the monster of the bay!!! [cool] Well I guess that is more reason for ya to go back out there to try for him again??? Maybe sometime I can join ya!!! Well have fun, sounds like top water action is moments away!!!
[signature]
Great report Old Coot, don't you just hate it when you lose those big fish. I always figure those big fish have been caught at least once and know what it takes to get off, plus they are stronger.
BLM- I knew are soon as I left to come down here those wipers were going to start boiling. Were you marking a lot of shad on the fish finder? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nope, no shad. didn't see many fish on the finder at all. They were on the surface! Sorry you missed it. They be here when you get back. Give me a call! Have fun on your vacation.[/size][/font]
[signature]