Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pop gear?
Ok, been wondering this for awhile. Anyone ever use pop gear to troll for Wipers?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I never used it but I've seen others trying it out. I know a guy that trolls Willard with a wedding band and catches wipers. give it a go! [/size][/font]
[signature]
I was just thinking since shad was a schooling fish, maybe some chrome pop gear with a chrome and blue rattle trap may do some good?
[signature]
[cool]Don't forget the sparkle Power Bait, just in case.

I suspect that the right flasher setup might be effective on wipers. On the east coast, they often troll for stripers with "Christmas Tree" rigs...a wire framework contraption with several different lengths of leader and jigs or spoone. I guess it's a bear to troll, but does bring in the fish when they are in a neutral or inactive mode.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that some all silver blades, followed by a RatLTrap or Producer...or even a big plastic...would probably get hit. I think I would probably rig with a longer leader than the short ones used by most trout trollers though...something about three to five feet, at least.

I ahve heard that the dodger and hootchie skirt rig, like they use for salmon, is also a striper magnet on the west coast. On those days when nothing else is working, it is at least worth a try.
[signature]
I tried it once.

Had some lite willow leave stuff followed by a wedding ring,a white grub,and I think a rapla,didn't get me a fish,not all at the same time[Tongue].had to try it though because of that reason Teroy,thought it would look like a school of shad.

Then you guys got me hooked,thanks for all the help I got from here early on.helps me catch some fish.sometime alot of fish[cool]

Tight lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Yea, I've seen a few people try pop gear also with not much luck. When times get tough I've even thought about it but I've not tried it yet. Maybe a flasher would work. WH2
[signature]