Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you share?
I wanted to post this here because this pertains to both fresh and salt water.
Do you share patterns with strangers? If you are out on the water, and you are having a killer day...will you share? Not necessarily give them the fly but tell them what is working, maybe even how.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Yes - definitely as I would expect the same in return. After all fly fishing is a gentlemen's [generic term] sport.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
you betcha Id share.. not only saying what I am using but if I have an extra Id give them it to have.. wanna know why??

in the time I have been on this and other forums I have met and gotten to know a lot of good people.. and one thing I have learned from those people is to share what you know.. whether it be actual flies or leaders or whatever.. or knowledge or experience.. its all the same. ... it promotes the sport.. it keeps the sport going.. it brings in new people.. and it makes it all fun..

I also believe that if someone gives to me it is to my benefit to share with everyone.. its a big time win win situation...

MacFly
[signature]
Macfly is right !!!
What goes around , comes around.

Peter
[signature]
couldent have said it better!
[signature]
Definately!!!![cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]This is certainly a worthy subject and I would like to add another element, and that is are you willing to share your space with another fly fisher-person? Personally I am, however with the understanding that they work the waters at least a 100' away. I have never [so far] had a problem with someone abusing this requested space. That said, spin or bait casters never ask and just move in on my territory so to speak. I have mentioned to those individuals that I am fishing here which usually falls on deaf ears, so I move on. I'm just a bit too old to get into a pis*ing contest or worse. How about you are you willing to share your waters?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Id be more than willing.. and have shared the water with other anglers.

I dont think that your requested 100' is unreasonable for any style of angler to abide by. If they are smart they can look at it this way....

.. you are fishing water A and they are 100' upstream of you... once you have finished in that area you would move down 100'.. and that now opens that water to the other angler.. or.. while you are fishing water A.. they can move 100' below you.. that gives them new waters to explore and also opens their water (that was 100' upstream) for you to use if you wish..

in other words.. extending common courtesies is again a win/win situation for both anglers.. [crazy]

..and if that doesnt work and they want to be rude.. Id call kochanut and let him come in and talk to them.. [angelic]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I too have had my run in with spin casters. They don't realize, we need to cast out and let it drift. They usually plunk there Kastmasters, or their ENORMOUS floats right at the tail end of my drift. I do let it be known. If they persist, then I start throwing large rocks in the hole[mad]
I use to back down and walk away, but not any more.

BUT, on the other side of the coin. I have gone places that the spin casters are doing very well. I realize their lures are a little m ore money than a fly so exchanging them is out of the question, but I have met some very helpful in their own way spinners.
They let me know what colors, size, depth and even retrieve. It is then up to me to try to match that.
[signature]
There will be times when I am not able to use the fly rod so i will rig up a spinning rod. I was using a woolly bugger on a lake and caught fish. A couple using bait was wondering how I was doing it so I showed them (first cast I caught a nice one) then I released the fish and handed them a woolly bugger (I tie my own) and left.
[signature]
I always tie enough to share and carry three of everything--at least six of each of my stand-bys. When I was in Alaska three years ago, I had taken several salmon on my flies. I came across a gentlemen who had caught none. He asked what I was using. I showed him what had been working and took out my boxes and started giving him some. He stopped me after 4 insisting that was enough.

Now, mind you, I had tied up 350 flies for the week long trip. I came back with 343. I've since placed about half with other fly rodders heading up that way.

When I was a kid, I'd frequently fish with fewer than a dozen flies in my pocket and rarely had two of anything. I never felt like I had enough flies.

Funny, now that I carry a few hundred, I still feel like I don't have quite what I am loooking for at the moment.... But I do have plenty to share. [cool]
[signature]
Then me, I take the whole kit just incase. My luck is, they want that ONE fly in my box and they are either going to take it from me, or mangle it[pirate]
[signature]
For the most part spin casters dont geve a $%&*. Many times Im float tubing and start geting some fish and
before you know it there it is - a big splash right
in front of me. What was that you ask? a huge lure !!!!
Hey man, what you doing , I ask.
Oh man, thats where "all" the fish are.
Some of those people are just stupid.And funny think is
that every time the stupid ones even look the same.You
know what Im talking about-beer in hand, cigaret in they
mouth, every second word is "F".
Now Im just tring to go where most people wont. A that
is one of the nice things about float tube-get away.

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Just another reason to like fly fishing.
It's a cultural thing![/size][/#008000][/font]
[Image: happy.gif]
[/center]
[signature]
I realy like this subject and have had many times were i am killing fish and a father with his son is downstream watching and you can see the disapointment, in this case i would rather see that kid catch a fish than my self. but i have also had acasions were ppl almost demand you tell them what your using, or see you catching fish from a distance and before you know it somehow you have been kicked out of your hole. to this i share nothing. Like others have said what goes around comes around.

On sharing waters i am a bit more conservative i fish it my own way and i am very very anal about how i fish it. i realy hate to change it if there is someone else there. Now i have fished my share of combat holes and know if there are fish there ppl will fish it with you and most of the time i bite my lip and fish with a stranger and try my best to make him a friend.
[signature]
The last four days of last week I spent on the Yellowstone River outside Livingston Montana. I had a great time fishing hoppers in the morning and late afternoon and nymphs in between. As I was leaving I walked past where DePuy creek runs into the River. There is a large hole there and a family was fishing with spinners and the dad had what I would guess was a brand new fly rod. The cork was white. He could cast fairly well but was using a Royal Coachman and a bait fishing bobber as a strick indicator. I watched for a while and then headed to my truck. I got there put my gear away and kept thinking of the fellow with the new pole. I thought, here is a guy who wants to fly fish and is heading for a Sad experience. I grabbed a fly box some tippet and some split shot and headed backl. You should have seen the look on his face when I asked if I could give him some help. I explained about the different types of flies and helpped set him up with some copper johns and gold ribbed hairs ears. I gave him a strike indicator and explained how to fish it. I left feeling like I had really promoted the sport us fly fishers love. By the way (flygoddes is a great fly fisher.) The thing that I really want to share is what happen the next day. We hooked up the trailer and set out for Yellowstone Park. Gardner is at the entrance to the park. We pulled in to get gas and the fellow and his family were ahead of us in line. I got out and went up to him to inqury about his success. Wow what a welcome I got. He was so excited about flyfishing he wanted my address and to plan a trip with me. He had caught 8 fish. Browns, cuts and whitefish. He said he was going to outfit his whole family. I doubt I will ever hear from him, but I made a friend and more importantly got someone interested in the sport I have loved for 56 years. His excitement was the icing on the cake. So do I share? You bet!!!!!
[signature]
well said jigs..

in my limited time fishing I have found, but dont always enjoy, that it is usually easier to share the water if possible than to fight over it.. as you said I will share if certain boundries are met.. and that is a matter of common courtesy, otherwise... like you I bite my lip and try to make the best of it..

I really liked your comment on the father/son comment.. I think of it this way.. you accomplish several things by sharing in that situation.. one, you make that kids day if he catches a fish .. two, you just may of given that kid that little bit of motivation he needed to keep his interest in this wonderful sport, and three (Im sure kochanut can agree on this one), you just led by example.. and by that I mean this kid sees you willing to give instead of hogging it all and that is a very important lesson that they learn that in the long run will help them later on in life.. you share with them.. they see it as a good thing and they are more willing to do the same when faced with that same situation later..

as has been said already.. what goes around comes around.. and in this case it is the come around is a very good thing indeed.. [Smile]

one last thing.. I can tell you from first hand that if it had not been for this site and people like FG and DR and others who kept my interest in the sport and supported me not only with words but with flies and insite on what to get and how to do things I would not be here today (which some may say is a bad thing for sure.. lol.. )

MacFly
[signature]
T31 I think you have just summed up in a simple story why we are all here.. its not only the love of fly fishing but its the sharing with others not for the recognition but to simply spread the wealth .. and on occassions such as you described here.. we get that one more person hooked.. and that is a wonderful thing for sure..

now.. you mentioned FG is a great fisherwoman.. have you had the pleasure of fishing with her.. if so.. any inside information we need to know about.. ?? [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
macfly55,
I have never fished with her but I know a number of individuals who have. I watched her and her husband on Scofield one day during a another site's fishing outting. She could all teach us a thing or two. My wife is itching to have her guide her. Probably later this year. One thing, the outing on Scofield, I was just recovering from quadruple by pass. She sent me an email, a total stranger, offering an extra pontoon for me to use. Unfortunately all the doctor would allow was for me to watch. Her reputation as a guide, fly fisher is well know.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][img]../../../images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]Well said MacFly. And thanks for the cu-dos. Too bad that we all live so far apart for it would be fun to do a bit of swatting together. I'm sure flygoddess would have us casting like pros in a jiffy and catching la grande minnows. lol or at least share a beer or martini together.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]