Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass on the fly
Anyone doing any bassing on da fly ???
Where I live (close to LA) warm water fishing it is.
So bass, bluegill, crapie,catfish..........................
Trout fishing would be eastern sierra , which is
about six hour drive. I do like bluegill on the fly, they are
a lot of fun.Bass is a little harder but still a lot of fun.
Anyone likes to share?

Peter
[signature]
I have caught many BASS on flies....sorry to say however, it wasn't the targeted species in most cases.
Pelican Lake however, it was the target along with HUGE Bluegill.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hey there Peter have you tried the Kern River? It's only about a 3 hr drive from 1K Oaks.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline ukr.jpg]
[signature]
Ive caught numerous bass on the fly.. my problem was that the bass were not much bigger than the fly I was using... [laugh] ... on at least two occassions I caught ones so small that I did not feel them on the line and was actually trying to cast my fly with the poor little guy still on the hook.. [crazy]

MacFly
[signature]
I target bass at least as much as I target trout in Virginia. I have largemouth bass within walking distance of my home and smallmouth between work and home. When targeting bass, I mainly fish for smallmouth. My flies largely overlap.

On top, I like poppers and gurglers (4s and 6s for smallies and 2s for bucketmouths).

But I catch more subsurface with clousers and deceivers and, of course, black woolly buggers.

Here's a nice smallie that took a #2 deceiver intended for stripers:

[Image: June2smallieonDeceiver.jpg]

My guess is that one of the cormorants did a number on the dorsal.

And here's a poor cell phone pic of a bucketmouth that flushed a cup-faced popper:

[Image: BurkeLakelargemouthJuly17.jpg]

And oh, by the way, the other warmwater fish you mention, I have taken all of them on the fly rod, too.

[Image: Potomaccrappieonpinkclouser.jpg]

One you didn't mention--pickerel, too, are a blast (6-weight and a #2 chartreuse clouser).

[Image: Mar14pickerel1.jpg]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]Hey"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...m/happy.gif[/img]Hey[/url] there Peter have you tried the Kern River? It's only about a 3 hr drive from 1K Oaks.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/quote]

I have not ff Kern just yet [frown]. that picture looks GREAT !
Would you be so kind and tell me where is some good
spot (spots) for bass on Kern.
thank you

Peter
[signature]
[quote macfly55]Ive caught numerous bass on the fly.. my problem was that the bass were not much bigger than the fly I was using... [laugh] ... on at least two occassions I caught ones so small that I did not feel them on the line and was actually trying to cast my fly with the poor little guy still on the hook.. [crazy]

MacFly[/quote]

That is some funny stuff [Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]

Peter
[signature]
ahhhhhh funny is what most of my fishing is made up of.. [laugh] .. like last year when I was with family in TN.. my son in law (MacLarry) and I were fishing a small river near their house.. as I working a small stretch of the water I cast back and felt a tug on my line.. and then VERY LOUD YELL... ... I looked back to see MacLarry removing my fly from his lower lip.. and of course he is cussing me and the fly a blue streak.. at this point I cant help but laugh a bit even though I know he is in some pain..

all I can really say to him at this point... and almost keep a straight face is.. thank God I use barbless hooks.. [laugh]

I thought he was gonna kill me with the look he shot me on that one... [laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]Doubt know if there are any bass in the Kern as it is a cool water river. Lots of trout though. Now perhaps there are some bass in Lake Isabella.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Macfly-thanx god you did C&R with your son in law[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
I dont think that your daughter would be very happy is you
cooked him up for dinner[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
cooking him up for dinner would of been her and her mothers job... [laugh]

this year we went to the same river.. we both paid a lot more attention to where the other was at.. LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
[quote rockroller]I target bass at least as much as I target trout in Virginia. I have largemouth bass within walking distance of my home and smallmouth between work and home.

Smallmouth between work and home would be HUGE
trouble for me. I would be late for work all the time.........[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
To some outside the interest area, I would respond "You have noooo idea."

But, of course, you do. You should see how bad I look at work in April and May when the Hickory and American Shad and Striped Bass are running up the Potomac.

I sleep very very little. And, yes, I am late for work several times per week. Especially on the perfect days.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.
[signature]
Yeah, I do ! [Smile]
[signature]