Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crane hunt
i went and bought my crane tag today i was wondering if anyone else is going to give it a go
[signature]
I got a tag a couple years ago, but I only ended up having a few hours hunting time so I didn't get one. Hopefully you have better luck. I hear they're delicious [:/][Wink]!
[signature]
That's what I was wondering...how do they taste??
[signature]
the guy i am hunting with has hunted them before and he said if you put them in a bag and bake them like you do a turkey. He claims they taste like roast beef. If all else fails we can smoke them, i dont think anything tastes bag smoked.
[signature]
When do we get our tag for the white pelican?? They are the ones ruining our fisheries. [mad]
[signature]
i'm with you. but from what i heard they were getting rid of nests this last spring.
[signature]
I am going to give it a try this year. Got a guy over by bear lake that gets thousands in his field, he wants them all dead. I am doing it as a favor to get on for the geese. I hear they taste good too. So I will give up a day or two of bowhunting to go get them.
[signature]
Boy, if anybody has had firsthand experience eating sandhill crane that tastes good, please let me know. My dad and I had tags several years ago. They were a blast to shoot. . . died real good. They don't have feathers like ducks and geese do, so you can kill em stone dead at 70 yards no problem.

We have a real killer recipe for making a roast out of a goose. Take the legs off and bone them out. Then you need several slices of real good bacon. Fillet off the breast, and use the two chunks of meat off the breast to make a sandwich, with the bacon and the boned out legs in the middle. Of course, go ahead and put some of the seasonings of your choice in the middle as well. Then tie it up about 3 times or so with some cotton string. Doesn't hurt to cover up the outside with your seasonings at this point either. Then wrap it up in some saran wrap, and freezer paper and toss it in the freezer (unless you are ready to eat it right then of course). It'll have you loving to eat goose meat, I guarentee it.

So anyway, we thought this would work wonders with these cranes that we shot. Well let me tell ya, no matter how bad we wanted that crane to taste good. . . it didn't. We tried another surefire recipe with the other one, and they just flat had a weird taste to them. I love eating game meat. Deer, antelope, elk, ducks, geese, doves, partridge, you name it, I love it.

I've heard several stories about crane tasting good, but haven't figured out how to do it myself. So if anybody knows how to make em taste good please, give me your recipe!
[signature]
hopefuly i will find out tomorrow 6 of us heading over to bear lake at 4 am, fish and game hooked us up with a hunter who has tons coming into his grain fields.
[signature]
well i didnt make it to bear lake on sat but went this morning my friends went sat and ended up with 1. today we saw plenty but they were already in the fields by 6am i think it has to do with the moon. we tried to stalk them lol. wasnt going to happen. going to try again next weekend.

we did go dove hunting 2 of us limited out. there on the smoker now cant wait.
[signature]