Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need info on how to replace recoil rope
I have a 4.5 hp Mercury that I'm trying to replace the starter rope. I could not find an example on you tube and I have replaced one before on a Evinrude but the Merc is a different story. The only thing I could find was a big nut on top of the hood, but it will not come loose, it is not tight but all it does is turn. Is there a trick on taking this thing apart?
[signature]
I thought you civil servents like playing with big nuts.. [crazy]

A couple things --- it most likely has reversed threads. You might be able to put a pair of vise grips on the rope spocket to hold it while you try and loosen it.

This was on WikiAnswers:

[Image: qbar_q.gif?v=52263]How do you replace your rope on a 9.8 Mercury outboard Motor?

[[url "javascript:editA();"]Improve[/url]] [Image: abar_a.gif?v=52263]
If your recoil spring is still working properly, it's fairly easy. Remove the starter sheave assembly, lay it upside down on the bench. Note where the old rope is anchored, remove any remaining rope. While holding assembly housing from turning, wind sheave in a counter clockwise direction until spring is completely tensioned. Carefully, let the sheave rotate clock wise about one revolution. Continue the rotation until the anchor pocket in the sheave lines up with the roller and outlet hole located in the housing. While holding the sheave assembly in this position, ( the spring is under tension ), thread the replacement rope into the anchor pocket and out through the housing outlet, pull snug. Tie a loose, temporary knot in rope, and allow spring to wind the rope back into the housing. Install the handle on rope end and untie knot. Allow rope to be wound back into the housing and pull several times to check operation. Note, if any disassembly is required, be advised that there are quite a few loose parts that make up this particular re-wind assembly. In this case, I would recommend purchasing a repair manual, or taking the assembly to a repair facility.

Or you could just go over to Iboats and ask the same question....
[signature]
Thanks for the info Craig. I did find out that the big nut was left handed thread and after that I was able to get it apart. I replaced the rope and now I'm in the process of putting it back together. I just hope the rewinding part works correctly, I guess I'll find out soon[Wink].
[signature]