Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Bass Alive
If you fish in tournaments, these two guides are a great help. One, "Keeping Bass Alive," has been the standard book of best practices for years, but has a new update for 2009.

[url "http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/bassmaster/pdf/b_con_KeepingBassAlive.pdf"]Keeping Bass Alive[/url]

THE ANGLER’S ROLE IN IMPROVING SURVIVAL OF RELEASED BASS

Black bass can be “recycled.” They can be caught in tournaments, weighed-in, released, and caught again another day. Occasionally, however, fish die during a tournament. Biologists understand these consequences but studies have shown that tournaments generally have negligible impact on bass populations.

However, it is without a doubt, in tournament anglers’ best interests to do everything they can to maximize the survival of released fish - both to protect the resource and to project a positive image that will ensure the future of the sport.

This guide explains how.

[url "http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Reservoir/blackbass/livebass2.pdf"]TWRA Guide[/url]

What Causes Mortality?

• Physical Injury
• Oxygen Deprivation
• High Ammonia or Carbon Dioxide
• High Water Temperatures

What Causes Delayed Mortality?

• Oxygen Debt
• Toxins in the Bloodstream
• Infections

The key to minimizing mortality at tournament events is
optimizing holding and release practices by event organizers and anglers. Both tournament anglers and organizers can play a major role in keeping the bass they
catch alive.

This guide explains how in 3 short pages.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi there RecycledFish - usually links are not permitted for new members, however since they are educational in nature I don't have a problem with it.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Hey hey Recycledfish! Buddy is on the Big Tackle
[signature]
Thanks, Dryrod.

Hey, Buddy!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]You are welcome. On the Fly Fishing forum we often discuss the proper manner of C&R while trying not to remove the fish from the water. One reason why I don't take pictures as many do, for it is just about having bragging rights at the expense of the trout's well being. As one of my moderators mentioned - you don't want to keep the fish out of water any longer than you can hold your breath. A good motto.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I try to release all fish back into the water sooner than later, however, there are some species that I do my best to not bring out of the water, and if I do, it is only for seconds. Trout, Muskellunge, Northern Pike, and Steelhead in my opinion have the lowest "out of water" survival rate. Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish, and Walleye I've found are better for a classic snapshot then release. Recently I've looked into different ways to capture a photo without damaging a fish's protective "slime" covering during the photo. When I'm out by myself in the boat, I carry a piece of thin outdoor carpeting. I've found it doesn't seem to damage the "slime" coating. Just my 2 cents, everyone does things a bit different.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]When I lived in Florida my fishing was limited to the salt. When fishing for blues I would just might keep a couple for dinner. Now what really would gaul me would be those individuals that would catch a mess of fish and just leave them on the pier and walk away at the end of their fishing day. Now that is a sin in my eyes.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
That really is a sin, they should have their licenses revoked.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Didn't need a license to fish the salt in those days. Besides if one did they probably wouldn't buy one.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Just visited your site, very cool. I will add a link. Saw you on Facebook on some peoples pages I know as well. Tight lines, Steve Northeast Bass Fishing For Trophy Bass

[inline stevejudy.jpg]
[signature]