Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mahi are Still Here!!
Had a bottom fishing trip today with some old friends from Fayetteville, NC. William and Wendell Owens, Herb Campbell, Benn McDonald, Albert Craig, and Tony Cameron joined Capt. Butch and myself in a quest for tamed currents and prospective bottom fish.
We started out on a search once again due to the fact that the bottom fish were trying to prove their illusiveness that they have seemingly mastered this year. After checking several of our good #'s and dodging the heavy rains that were encroaching (not to mention a large and beautiful waterspout) Capt. Butch made his way onto a new set of rocks that proved to have some nice Vermillion Snapper and Gray Snappers.
I quickly deployed a lightline with a dead cigar minnow and soon after we had a decent Mahi-Mahi on --I'm not delusional, the dolphin are still here in August, scattered but here!!! The light-line produced 4 Mahi in all today and a nice 25lb King Mackerel and a couple of other strong runs that I assume were Kings that pulled the hook.
All the while Capt. Butch was deploying live baits to the Amberjacks feeding under the boat and in-turn the crew were able to land a couple nice AJ's as well! We fished hard today for the fish that we were able to pull off the bottom, and even used as much as 32oz of lead to get the baits to the bottom!
With the strong currents, 6+ knots, and the reports of African Pompano, King Mackerel, and Mahi... trolling may be the best option until the currents decide to calm once again. The seas are calm and the fish are biting, better enjoy these nice seas, seem as if they may be the "calm before the storm." I guess we'll all have to wait and see!
[size 4]Til next time...[/size]
[size 4]FISH ON!!![/size]
[size 4]Capt's. Butch and Chris Foster[/size]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][url "http://www.yeahrightcharters.com/"][#0000ff]www.yeahrightcharters.com[/#0000ff][/url]
910 845-2004
[signature]