Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8/22 Berry Quickie
Went to the Berry for a couple of hours this morning, decided to hit Chicken Creek West, had my 5 year old son and brother in law with me. So I ask my neighbor to use his float tube since he has offered, so he hands me this box. Holy crap it's never been used before..... and I get to break it in. Friday night I put it all together, pump everything up, ahhh the smell of fresh virgin rubber. Went to bed late, woke up late left the house at 745 am. Met my bro in law in Heber, grabbed some crawlers and got to THE spot around 915 am. So I have never float tubed before, had no waiters, just some flippers, swim shorts, and two shirts. Holy crap that water is cold, instant shrinkage, and me second guessing what the crap I was doing in very cold water. Well I get totally loaded up and head out, I didn't go too far, wanted to keep an eye on my boy, but Cliff my bro in law had things handled. Across the way I notice the DWR is here checkin licenses.... I remember Cliff saying he forgot his license on the way up from Heber.... this may get interesting. I decided to slowly make my way in to see if I need to be there for my son in case Cliff is put into handcuffs I was bouncing a worm tipped with PB along the bottom when WHAM! Mr. Bendo decided to visit. "Oh crap I have 4# test line on, "I gotta baby this" I couldn't reel this beast in at all, and this fish feels alive, gotta be a rainbow. Fifteen minutes later and made it to shore as Cliff is sweet talking the CO Officer, I finally see the beast.... it is HUGE. Turns out the 'bow was 25 1/4 inches long and more than 4 lbs. Yeah Baby! The CO was impressed mentioning that's the biggest bow she has seen in a while. After the excitement wore off I noticed I was wet up to my chest and realized my legs where a bit numb. Cliff was asked to go to the DWR truck and work things out so I was able to warm up hanging with my son on the shore. Twenty minutes later and just a warning (lucky) Cliff comes back rather pleased that my son told the CO that he is fishing with his teeth today, thus putting her in a good mood, and letting him off with a warning. Fished for another hour, no more fish. Got to my truck and was very happy to change into dry clothes. My legs finally defrosted when we got into Salt Lake. A very fun trip, lessons learned for me, son, and bro in law. Enjoy!Sorry no pics, they are on Cliff's phone, trying to get a copy, will post as soon as I get them!
[signature]
when we left the berry this evening they (DNR) had a full on road block/checkpoint/blockade just before you got to 40. They were stopping everybody that looked like they were fishing and checking boats, coolers, cars, trucks, people for licenses...WOW is all I can say.. Had to be over 20 officers...We did not do anything wrong and I thanked them for the job they were doing. It was crazy though.[shocked][shocked]
[signature]
Wow talk about taking out the poachers with one swift move. Glad to see that they are there checking things out.[cool]
[signature]
Yeah that was good that they did that because you know poaching the slot cutts happens all the time i bet they caught quite a few people.We were pulled to the side and they caught this one guy and all the officers were all over his boat and car tearing it apart. They ignored us for a while then one officer checked our licenses and let us go.
[signature]